Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one of these restaurants do you like the most
Chili's 9 11.84%
Outback Steakhouse 26 34.21%
Ruby Tuesday 7 9.21%
TGIF 3 3.95%
Ground Round 1 1.32%
Sizzler 2 2.63%
Other 28 36.84%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 03:38 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,735,783 times

Advertisements

We Goin Sizzler - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 03:45 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,766,952 times
I voted "other" because it's been between 5 to 15 years since I've been to any of these places, so I can't even imagine which one's I would like the most (or dislike the least). I'd guess most of whatever I've eaten at any of these places is probably not even on the menu now. Never heard of Ground Round either. If I were to base my vote on the last time I ate at any of these places, I would say Outback was the best.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:05 PM

271 posts, read 458,967 times
Red Lobster is my favorite, so other !

Old 04-27-2013, 04:09 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
I have no idea what a "Ground Round" is but it doesn't sound appetizing.
Ground Round was a family-oriented ribs, steak and burger place, which offered free popcorn and peanuts, didn't mind if you swept your peanut shells off the table and onto the floor, showed silent movies in the bar, and had reasonable drink prices. The burgers and fries were good. On Friday nights there was an all-you-could eat fish fry. It was the place to be in the late 70s.

I didn't know the chain was still around.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:31 PM

23,548 posts, read 24,049,201 times
I love Outback, since I am a steak lover.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
There used to be Sizzlers here but I haven't seen any in about a decade so I just figured they went out of business.

Last time I ate at Outback was a little over a year ago (gift card from Christmas). We got loaded steak fries. The fries were soggy, ridiculously salty, and there was enough cheese and bacon for maybe 1/5th of the fries. I ordered prime rib and what they gave me looked like a piece of 3-day old opossum they picked up from the side of the road. It was extremely tough and had no flavor at all. I was pretty grossed out and wasn't eating it, so they asked me if I wanted a porterhouse instead. I said sure, so they brought me a porterhouse. It had a rancid off taste so I didn't eat much of it. I was kind of worried about getting food poisoning at that point. Vegetables had a chemical aftertaste. Girlfriend had the exact same vegetables and I tried hers and they tasted fine, not at all like mine. I tried her lobster and it was chewy and tasted old. Like a pre-cooked lobster from the freezer that they thawed and microwaved. It was so bad that I still remember every detail of the meal like it was yesterday. Kind of a tramautic experience really. She still gives me crap about it.

Other experiences there weren't nearly as bad, but when I look at their menu it's really a struggle to come up with something that sounds good.

Last time I ate at Friday's was probably 6 months ago. I go there every once in a while because I have friends who are always wanting to go, mostly for drinks and because they get a discount. Last time I had a flat iron steak that was surprisingly good, with some kind of Bearnaise-style sauce on top. Along with some ginger-lime coleslaw and mashed potatoes that were decent. At least they make an attempt to keep the menu somewhat contemporary and aren't stuck in a time warp. Their food isn't great but it's also never terribly bad and I don't leave their feeling like I got robbed.
I agree with the contemporary part, but that is what makes Outback a little better in my estimation: the menu is rather simple and what they do, most of the time is tasty. I didn't say great or even 4 star (I don't expect that from a chain) but it sounds like you just got a really bad meal that time. If it had been me and it was as bad as you say, I certainly would have said something. I know food is subjective. We all have our favorites. I am really not much of chain restaurant lover period. It is just, so often we really don't have a choice.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Ground Round was a family-oriented ribs, steak and burger place, which offered free popcorn and peanuts, didn't mind if you swept your peanut shells off the table and onto the floor, showed silent movies in the bar, and had reasonable drink prices. The burgers and fries were good. On Friday nights there was an all-you-could eat fish fry. It was the place to be in the late 70s.

I mentioned the same thing last time we did a poll like this, about a year ago and was told, my many, they are still on the east coast, I think more No Atlantic.. As for how many are open I don't know. I had forgotten about the peanuts, but knew they did something like that. I do know, I loved to hang out there and was disappointed, on a trip back to Alexandria to see the place was gone and some large chain had taken over.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:39 AM

880 posts, read 2,025,649 times
I passed a Ground Round in Brookhaven Long Island

Old 04-28-2013, 11:41 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Outback has become stale and worn out in my opinion. It's desperately in need of a re-do and some fresh new items. It's been played out and there are rumblings a change is coming.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:52 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

There are 24 locations in the Northwest and the Midwest. It was originated by Howard Johnson's.

Ground Round Franchise-History
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink