Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2007, 11:37 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Tonight, I already started it in the oven in my dutch oven pot, I have a pork lion roast going. I put slits in it and put garlic slices in the slits. Salt and peppered it. Braised the roast in olive oil first then put some veggie broth in the pan with chopped onions. Covered the roast with mustard and horseradish and am cooking it at 250 until dinner---about 6 hours. Oh yeah---I will add carrots and potatoes about half way through the cooking. We'll see how it turnes out. It's partially from a recipe but I altered it some too. Wish me luck!!

Gosh that sounds so good ! Feel free to pop in if you like !

Old 12-11-2007, 12:18 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,945,470 times
Last night my S.O. bought a prime rib and we had that with garlic rosemary mashed potatoes, homemade gravy from the pan juices, and fresh italian bread to mop up the au jus. Am I spoiled or what?? He's the best!

Today we might turn the leftovers into some open face sandwiches or else cook up some hot and mild italian sausage, onion, and pepper and throw some pasta in as well.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:28 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,434,621 times
Here's what I have in mind for dinner tonight....(please don't laugh...)
I shopped in the frozen isle today at my local supermarket, starring at the "Bertoli" Penne Pasta and shrimp.
I started thinking.....for us big eaters, I would need at least 3 to 4 bags, at almost $7 each!
It seemed like a lot of money to me, considering the small amount I would get for it.
So, I grabbed a bag, and started reading the ingredients....
Shrimp- check (in my freezer, bought them on sale 2 weeks ago, 2 pounds worth)
Penne Pasta- check (bought them several weeks ago, buy one, get one free)
Roasted Bell Peppers- had to buy a jar at $2.59
Crushed tomotoes with Puree- had to buy one for $1.69
White wine- check...at my house, sipping on one right now
Asparagus- had to buy them at $4.19
Heavy Cream- check...ALWAYS keep that "on hand"
Sun dried tomatoes- keep them on hand at ALL times (cook with it very often.....hubby is italian )

Just reading the ingredients list and combination, made me drool and my mouth water.
I am going to try it out tonight, and will let you know on how it worked out.
But, it sound delicious, and is so easy to prepare (based on the ingredients!)

BTW: My italian bread is getting a bit dry...so, this dish will be served with toasted garlic bread! lol

Old 12-11-2007, 12:34 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,945,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
Here's what I have in mind for dinner tonight....(please don't laugh...)
I shopped in the frozen isle today at my local supermarket, starring at the "Bertoli" Penne Pasta and shrimp.
I started thinking.....for us big eaters, I would need at least 3 to 4 bags, at almost $7 each!
It seemed like a lot of money to me, considering the small amount I would get for it.
So, I grabbed a bag, and started reading the ingredients....
Shrimp- check (in my freezer, bought them on sale 2 weeks ago, 2 pounds worth)
Penne Pasta- check (bought them several weeks ago, buy one, get one free)
Roasted Bell Peppers- had to buy a jar at $2.59
Crushed tomotoes with Puree- had to buy one for $1.69
White wine- check...at my house, sipping on one right now
Asparagus- had to buy them at $4.19
Heavy Cream- check...ALWAYS keep that "on hand"
Sun dried tomatoes- keep them on hand at ALL times (cook with it very often.....hubby is italian )

Just reading the ingredients list and combination, made me drool and my mouth water.
I am going to try it out tonight, and will let you know on how it worked out.
But, it sound delicious, and is so easy to prepare (based on the ingredients!)

BTW: My italian bread is getting a bit dry...so, this dish will be served with toasted garlic bread! lol

You gotta buy those things are on sale! They are perfect for two people. Anyway, they have a website for more recipes:

Villa Bertolli - Recipes

Old 12-11-2007, 12:38 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
Cyn-that pork roast sounds beyond delicious. Definitely going to try it-isn't it amazing how we're sharing and learning here. I just love it.

BTW-hubby's colonoscopy came out fine.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:45 PM
MB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
You gotta buy those things are on sale! They are perfect for two people. Anyway, they have a website for more recipes:

Villa Bertolli - Recipes
I know...I should keep my eyes open a bit more, when those things are on sale.
My friends are raving about the Bertolli Pasta (frozen food) dinner bags, and swear, it's like equal to an upper class restaurant, and the taste just phenomenal!
I honestly admit, I COULD be a much better shopper, then I am....huh.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:51 PM
MB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Cyn-that pork roast sounds beyond delicious. Definitely going to try it-isn't it amazing how we're sharing and learning here. I just love it.

BTW-hubby's colonoscopy came out fine.
I hear ya...I just started "learning" on how to cook better in the past 2 years or so, because I never really "gave a hoot".
My interest is STILL much more into baking (cakes, cookies, desserts, pastry), but, cooking comes close now.
I guess, I appreciate food more now, due to my husband.

P.S. Glad your husband made out alright !
I had it done several years ago ( colonoscopy and endoscopy)....and it turned into a nightmare. (Doc overdosed on anesthesia....my vital signs "bottomed out"
They found an ulcer which nearly killed me, and several polyps which are being monitored.
PLEASE, GET YOURSELVES CHECKED, PEEPS!!!!

Old 12-13-2007, 12:21 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
The pork roast came out a little dry. I probably cooked it to long but pork always worries me so I always cook it plenty---just to much this time I think. The flavor was good so I decided to make some pork gravy and that made it better. Didn't get to make that chicken dish last night that I got off the recipe site here but am making that tonight. Sounds really good. Will let you all know!

Old 12-13-2007, 12:23 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
I just want to thank everyone here for posting some amazing meals and great ideas--keep up the good work. You have no idea how happy you are all making my hubby---and me!! I'm actually getting a kick out of trying new meals and that's a first for me. Again, thanks to everyone!!!! I love it because there is no controversy on this thread....it's all fun!!

Old 12-13-2007, 12:38 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,744,493 times
Today made a giant pot of sauce so on this snowy day spaghetti and meatballs/sausages...................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink