Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2009, 04:28 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,063,792 times

Advertisements

Tonights dinner: Steak and Shake!

Old 02-13-2009, 04:30 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
The ham and pineapple pizza was soooo gooooood...Will finish dinner up later with some ice cream and strawberries...

Old 02-13-2009, 04:35 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post

Debsi are you giving out samples at your seminar? We might have to hold Nomad down so the rest of us can taste them.
Went to the library and meat market also friends the writing is on the walls of our local meat market. Today was told the last guy that worked 27 years for the previous owner is leaving in a week. When I asked for the phone number of this out of town owner was told he won't allow the employees to give it out. Tell me how it took a local business owner 30 years to build a fantastic meat market a new guy comes in and within 9 months tore it all down? They were always busy but on Fridays packed with people today I stood talking to the guy leaving for 20 minutes only 2 other customers came in.

I did get a fresh rump roast, whole pork tenderloin and an arm roast that my guy brought from the big walk in instead of the dried out meat in the meat cases.
Yes, it will have to be a demonstration with samples, won't it?

Your meat market sounds like a great place though I am sorry the new owners aren't as good. I used to live near a wonderful place like that in California called El Toro Meat Market. They sold enough produce and other things that you didn't have to go to the meglomart to make a complete meal.
I miss that store. I don't live near anything like that now. The Mexican Markets and the uber-expensive Kosher markets are the only places that even have full service meat counters anymore, it seems.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:26 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,451,759 times
I'm having hot wings and a greek salad delivered, but the main course will be leftovers of my hamburg shepard's pie... can ya evah get enough of that? lol

Old 02-13-2009, 05:46 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
There's a Polish sausage called Kabanosy that seems to pack as much flavor as kielbasa in about half the diameter, I guess if they made it the size of a full tilt kielbasa it'd just be too powerful

Had that tonight along with sauerkraut, boiled potatoes, spicy mustard, black bread & butter, and a dark beer or two.

Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............................. .................

Old 02-13-2009, 05:59 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,265,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
I'm sorry the fish wasn't good! Is it the taste of the catfish y'all didn't like, or the "friedness" of it? Or was it not fresh? I love fried catfish! Yummm!

Mom and Dad are coming back from the lake today and we are going to fry up the "channel cat" he caught, along with some appaloosa catfish (which is a dense, white, flakey catfish hybrid that can even be grilled wonderfully). It is very good. Add to that the hush puppies and slaw, and KATIE BAR THE DOOR!

As northerners, we aren't sure how you're supposed to cook catfish. I told DH I was pretty sure it's supposed to be fried, but he decided to bake it. The taste was OK, but the texture was nasty - kinda rubbery. Neither one of us liked it, which is really unusual. I like haddock - nice and flaky - but it's not always easy to find down here. Gee, wonder why??

The ribs, however, definitely made up for it. We used Emeril's SW seasoning for a dry rub, cooked them on the grill for about an hour. The last 15 minutes, put some wet BBQ sauce on. OMG, tender, tasty, and meaty. I've never had such meaty ribs.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:36 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,795,107 times
Tonight's dinner was grilled cheese and tomato soup

Old 02-13-2009, 07:06 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
As northerners, we aren't sure how you're supposed to cook catfish. I told DH I was pretty sure it's supposed to be fried, but he decided to bake it. The taste was OK, but the texture was nasty - kinda rubbery. Neither one of us liked it, which is really unusual. I like haddock - nice and flaky - but it's not always easy to find down here. Gee, wonder why??

The ribs, however, definitely made up for it. We used Emeril's SW seasoning for a dry rub, cooked them on the grill for about an hour. The last 15 minutes, put some wet BBQ sauce on. OMG, tender, tasty, and meaty. I've never had such meaty ribs.
Aww ya gotta fry the catfish, no two ways about it. Give it another try and deep fry or pan fry it. Trust me, you'll love it.

Hubby and I actually got a night alone without our kids, (first time in almost a yr) we went and had sushi. It was so nice to have an hour alone with my hubby. Sigh. Now we have a whole year till the next time. But that was our valentines present to each other.

Hope everyone has a great night.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:18 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
I'm having hot wings and a greek salad delivered, but the main course will be leftovers of my hamburg shepard's pie... can ya evah get enough of that? lol
I can't ever remember over eating with hot wings...Maybe next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Catfish is a fry only in my book...The only time I get it is a piece no and then on a buffet...I'm more of a haddock person too...or fillet of sole...

Old 02-13-2009, 08:09 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,451,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
There's a Polish sausage called Kabanosy that seems to pack as much flavor as kielbasa in about half the diameter, I guess if they made it the size of a full tilt kielbasa it'd just be too powerful

Had that tonight along with sauerkraut, boiled potatoes, spicy mustard, black bread & butter, and a dark beer or two.

Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............................. .................
omg... I can 'feel' your BURP! hahahahaha Glad it was so satisfying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink