Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2008, 05:49 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,637,002 times

Advertisements

I cook a lot of the time. If I'm out I usually get home before she does. After all the sooner it's done the sooner we both eat... Today she cooked lunch and dinner. I'm a lot more flexible with my schedule so I can shop and cook. I love to be creative with food. That's why I like the forum thread so much....

Old 07-27-2008, 05:52 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,859,446 times
Wow-wish my hubby could come and train and your houses!!!! He's helpless.

Cyn i love them stuffed with parm/garlic and breadcrumbs.

Denise-a keeper.

Gem making that this week!

Nite all!!! NomaD-be there for breakfast.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:55 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,339,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I cook a lot of the time. If I'm out I usually get home before she does. After all the sooner it's done the sooner we both eat... Today she cooked lunch and dinner. I'm a lot more flexible with my schedule so I can shop and cook. I love to be creative with food. That's why I like the forum thread so much....
Sounds like you could be related to my spouse. He's a supremely gifted cook who genuinely loves to play and be creative in the kitchen, and I am a supremely lucky person to be able to enjoy the results. I'm an adequate if predictable cook, but he's the artist. He lets me pretend to help him with food prep, though he gets grumpy if I don't cut things up exactly as he wants 'em, and he lets me make the pies because my crusts always come out well, but he's the senior chef. It's actually a great partnership, because I'm a much better dishwasher than he is, so I take care of the cleanup routine after supper.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:00 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,637,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Sounds like you could be related to my spouse. He's a supremely gifted cook who genuinely loves to play and be creative in the kitchen, and I am a supremely lucky person to be able to enjoy the results. I'm an adequate if predictable cook, but he's the artist. He lets me pretend to help him with food prep, though he gets grumpy if I don't cut things up exactly as he wants 'em, and he lets me make the pies because my crusts always come out well, but he's the senior chef. It's actually a great partnership, because I'm a much better dishwasher than he is, so I take care of the cleanup routine after supper.
He and I have the easy part. Now about those dishes.. Well about that time there is this urgent need to see what I'm behind on one of these forums. I wouldn't want to steal the whole show from the Mrs. now. She really likes it when I do a one dish meal I must admit. And about getting the cut sizes right. Me too. To thick or to thin and I take notice.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:30 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,138,460 times
I love this forum. I could feed my family for at least a year just from the suggestions posted everyday!

My DH doesn't cook, shop or do dishes, but boy-oh-boy, can he eat.

My youngest son is still at home attending a local college and lives in front of the Food Network in his free time. He is the magic chef in our house. What an adventurous epicurean. Of course, at 22, puppy chow looks like it could be made into something great!

Old 07-27-2008, 07:49 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,299,309 times
I'm not an enthusiastic cook. It comes out okay when I do it but I resist when possible. LAZY, yes.

Anyway it looks like chicken breasts cooked in olive oil with basil and rosemary from the garden, cooked in chunks and then mixed with rotini and broccoli and carrots.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:51 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,299,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
I love this forum. I could feed my family for at least a year just from the suggestions posted everyday!

My DH doesn't cook, shop or do dishes, but boy-oh-boy, can he eat.

My youngest son is still at home attending a local college and lives in front of the Food Network in his free time. He is the magic chef in our house. What an adventurous epicurean. Of course, at 22, puppy chow looks like it could be made into something great!
My 10 year old is this way. He watches the Food Network ALL THE TIME and already has "secret ingredients" for things as simple as scrambled eggs. He loves to cook and says one day he'll be either a lawyer, a chef, or an archaeologist. Or all three.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:34 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,339,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
He and I have the easy part. Now about those dishes.. Well about that time there is this urgent need to see what I'm behind on one of these forums.
Seems to me that that should be a fundamental aspect of a partnership. Both my spouse and I are fulltime working professionals, both of us contribute financially to the household, and both of us contribute effort to keep the place ticking over smoothly. We made an agreeement long ago that whichever one of us cooked a meal, the other would clean up, and it's worked well over the decades. Once in a great while, he'll let me cook one of my specialties, and he always washes up afterward for me.

I feel as though I've got the easy end of the deal, quite honestly. Even though we don't have a dishwasher, it's a rare day when the dishes take me more than 20 minutes from start to finish, and he's often prepping and cooking for hours. But I'm not gonna stop him as long as he loves it.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:46 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Spouse is out there firing up the grill, and I see ahi tuna steaks out thawing, so I know that's the basis for tonight's supper. Knowing him, there'll probably be some sort of brushed-on combination of spices with an olive oil base, and it'll likely be a combination that he's never tried before, because he thinks it's boring to cook things the same way all the time.

He'll probably add a couple of the zucchs that we got at the Farmers' Market yesterday (he splits 'em down the middle, brushes with olive oil and grills for a few moments on each side) and hopefully the season's first sweet corn that we also got at the market.

I already know what's for dessert. The blueberry pie I made this afternoon is cooling on the kitchen counter, and the vanilla ice cream is ready in the freezer.
Wow! Sounds like a feast at your house! Yum!

Lacey...the artichokes do sound good--I just might have to try that sometime!

Gem and Fierce...my grown daughter turned out to be a wonderful cook. She tries new things almost daily! She amazes me. I know she didn't get that from me! Ha! That cooking channel and kids work well together!

I need a night off from the kitchen tonight--still haven't told hubby but I think it's his turn to BBQ. Weather looks good, hot, so a good night to BBQ. Not sure what he'll make but will check in later and share!

Old 07-28-2008, 06:30 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,947,287 times
Last night we had a picnic in the park and listened to some live music....it was lovely! We had chips and salsa, curry chicken salad wraps with fresh romaine and tomatoes, italian pasta salad, warm crescent rolls filled with sausage and cream cheese, and some pinot grigio and beer to wash it down with!

Not sure tonight....something with chicken probably
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink