Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 12:49 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Any recommendations for containers? Or will any container do, if you pop it out onto a plate and then microwave? (This would be for single servings).

I've used some from Tupperware that are a hard container with a soft lid, that also have a pop-up "steam hole" for microwaving. Not sure if all freezer containers are good for the microwave, though.
I suggest using the super-uniform, cube-shaped, single serving size. Fill them as full as you can to prevent freezer burn. then shake out the food in a solid piece and nuke it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 08:12 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Default Favorite (Reasonably Healthy) Freezer Meals?

My housemate and I are doing a lot of cooking and freezing, and personally, I'm kind of on a fiber and protein kick with my diet in an effort to lose weight.

I recently made some shepherd's pie with ground buffalo, parsnips and carrots (roasted before being added) and mushrooms.

Another favorite is black bean and sweet potato enchiladas, and I also make a pretty good chicken soup with wild rice, red pepper, spinach, mushrooms, carrots and shallots.

I also recently stuck some chicken breasts in the slow cooker with some bbq sauce and shredded the results. I can defrost whenever I want to make tacos or a sandwich.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:18 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Cheater Barbecoa

Barbacoa Recipe | Gimme Some Oven

Old 02-22-2015, 09:45 AM

1,625 posts, read 1,356,455 times
I do a variation of Jacques Pepin's Puerto Rican Pork and Beans.
Puerto Rican Pork and Beans | Essential Pepin

I use 4-5 lbs boneless Boston butt cut into 1-2 inch chunks, cut down the water to 1 cup (sometimes I use red wine to deglaze instead), and 2 cans red beans instead of 1 lb dry beans. I also leave out the jalapeno (cuz me no likey) and add some cayenne instead.

Also, instead of simmering on top of the stove, I bring it up to a boil in a Dutch oven then put it in a 275F oven for 2 hours.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:16 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I always keep small tubs of home made chili in the freezer. It makes really quick nachos, burritos, tacos, or just a bowl of chili.

I keep enchiladas in the freezer. Make them in a silicon pan, freeze them in the silicon pan and once they are frozen, peel the pan off and wrap them in butcher paper. To cook, take them out, remove the paper and drop them back into the silicon pan and bake.

I've got a turkey breast in the crock pot right now. I'm going to use it to make turkey enchiladas with fire roasted red peppers so I can have a bunch in the freezer.

I make some pretty darn good baked beans, but it is a big recipe, so there are containers of baked beans in the freezer; very convenient, but maybe too much sugar for anyone on a health kick.

I'll cook a large batch of garbanzo beans and freeze in small containers. I use them mostly for bean salad that calls for 1 can of garbanzo beans. I'd rather have home cooked beans than canned, but I don't want to cook 1/2 cup of dry beans all day, so I cook a large batch and freeze.

When bell peppers are on sale for a good price, I load up and freeze them. They freeze really well and can be awfully expensive if they aren't on sale when you need one.

I usually have frozen tamales but we didn't make any this year.

I'll make a large batch of oat bran muffins and put those in the freezer. Take one out and let it thaw or microwave it.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:23 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
I'm working my way thru a meatloaf right now that I probably made six months ago. Sandwiches tonight!!

Old 12-26-2015, 10:54 AM

831 posts, read 1,582,968 times
Default Freezer Cooking

I want to stop eating so much processed food. We just bought a small deep freezer. Today I am working on getting some breakfast foods made and frozen. I am making blueberry pancakes, french toast, waffles, muffins, bagels, burritos, bacon,egg,cheese on english muffins, smoothie packs with dry milk, baked oatmeal, quiche, and cinnamon rolls. Tomorrow I want to move on to snacks and lunches. If you know of the things that freeze well please share your ideas. Thanks

Old 12-26-2015, 03:37 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Ive got a huge chest freezer in the basement,

venison freezes well.... as do bear and wild turkeys

buy what you like on sale and freeze.... when chicken is cheap...bulk up and freeze, same with beef and pork

Old 12-26-2015, 04:07 PM

24 posts, read 26,013 times
The bread that I like and have to eat (Glutino's seeded bread or multi-grain bread) freezes really well, and so does the bread the rest of my family eats (Pepperidge Farm hearty white). We buy several loaves of bread at a time-- often when they're on sale-- and freeze all of them except for one loaf. They thaw just fine and texture/flavor isn't sacrificed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink