Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 11:03 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,952,048 times

Advertisements

No. There's a Mexican restaurant I go to whenever I go to the airport. I know that if I eat there I am going to get sick, but the food is so good I don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 11:09 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,277,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
As I mentioned early in this thread, my friend's son nearly died from e-coli from a salad prepared at home from tainted spinach purchased at Kroger .
Well, it's not just food that is purchased tainted with e-coli. Food poisoning can happen at home when food isn't stored properly or not cooked thoroughly.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
But you're also in control of what goes on in your kitchen and can take the necessary precautions. In restaurants, you have to put a lot of trust in everyone who is involved in the process of getting your food to you.
The point is that just because 1 in 6 people get a foodborne illness each year (according to the CDC), that doesn't mean that they're all getting sick at restaurants. But yet people are quick to blame restaurants for their illnesses (often ignoring that their illness might not be foodborne.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:23 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times
I've had food poisoning twice in my life and both times it was from supermarket produce.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:35 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,709,438 times
I can't imagine going through life being so scared of everything. We've never gotten sick eating out. I did give my husband and I food poisoning once decades ago (I know what I did wrong and never did that again!!)

Old 09-11-2014, 01:01 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,930,757 times
A friend and I would frequent a particular restaurant here in town and both of us noticed getting disentary afterword .
I had a talk with a floor manager and noted our experience , I asked if business had slowed at all, and they agreed that many had stopped coming .
If you don't tell them, they may not connect the dots.
I suspected something deviant going on because they were the new kid on the street and similar business were feeling the pinch.
Go figure.
I am told that sabotage is a federal offense, especially in food service, one would have a hard time getting a job any where, with that on their record.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:25 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
A friend and I would frequent a particular restaurant here in town and both of us noticed getting disentary afterword .
I had a talk with a floor manager and noted our experience , I asked if business had slowed at all, and they agreed that many had stopped coming .
If you don't tell them, they may not connect the dots.
I suspected something deviant going on because they were the new kid on the street and similar business were feeling the pinch.
Go figure.
I am told that sabotage is a federal offense, especially in food service, one would have a hard time getting a job any where, with that on their record.
nowadays- there is the internet and YELP where any yahoo can get on 4 different screenames and trash a business

Old 09-11-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
nowadays- there is the internet and YELP where any yahoo can get on 4 different screenames and trash a business
The trick to Yelp (and similar sites) is to ignore the reviews that trash a business and ignore the overly glowing reviews, and pay closest attention to the mid-range reviews. That's where I find the most useful information.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:52 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
You can certainly control sanitation in your own kitchen but you have no guarantee that workers in a restaurant are washing their hands, etc.
Yes, it's true that you can certainly control sanitation in your own kitchen. However, if the food you buy is contaminated with eColi or salmonella, then all the sanitary prep measures you take won't do you a bit of good.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:59 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Yes, it's true that you can certainly control sanitation in your own kitchen. However, if the food you buy is contaminated with eColi or salmonella, then all the sanitary prep measures you take won't do you a bit of good.
the sky is falling, the sky is falling!!

cook your food, and it kills the bacteria,,,plain and simple

cook burger to 160f

cook chicken to 165 f

cook pork to 145 f

wash your fruits and veggies!!

and yes, food prep safeguards are very important!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink