Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 05:23 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times

Advertisements

I am one who FAR prefers electric - I have had both. The first time I had a gas stove was an old model in an old house. I was afraid to use it at first, but soon became comfortable, so to the OP, it's just a new thing and you can get over the fear of it.

That said, I do not think cooking with gas is "all that." I despise the smell and don't like the oven or the burners. Things bake better in my electric. I would never give up my fantastic smooth top double oven GE electric. It's not really all that cheap where I live, either.

Anyhow, good luck with it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 06:23 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I'm already noticing a gas smell but it might just be the exhaust from my pc and me psyching myself out.
It's in your head! You just had someone there checking it out.

Do you drive a car? Have you ever ridden on a bus or in a car? Guess what....there's gas in them! And people drive them everyday and don't explode.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:47 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
There's a reason why a large percentage of commerical apps are gas, because electric pretty much sucks.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:04 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I hate cleaning my electric stove. Hate it hate it hate it. Cleaning a gas stove and oven is so much easier.

The only plus I can think of to having an electric stove is that you can keep the windows open wide on a windy day, and the burner won't blow out.

Yes, that happened to me! LOL

Old 11-03-2014, 08:41 PM

587 posts, read 915,268 times
Not using your stove isn't going to prevent any gas explosion. I don't want to scare you, but once you have the gas line coming into your house, you are already at risk of blowing up. You might as well get some use out of the stove. Whether you use it or not isn't going to make a difference in terms of exposing you to the dangers of natural gas. Most of the explosions and leaks that happen here are related to construction going on outside the home i.e. sewer main work. Gas leaks, no one is home to smell it, something ignites it. If you are home, you are going to smell it.

I grew up with a gas stove but don't have the connection now. I wanted to get hooked up, but given the incompetence of the people at the gas company when I tried to set that up, I am just as happy not to have it right now.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:40 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I miss my smooth top range so much. I'm a messy cook and the electric burners or the plates underneath would get burnt on stains so the smooth range was such an easy clean up, and never worried about a fire.

I have no idea what will happen when I cook with fire. Maybe this will teach me to be less of a messy cook with the concern of starting a fire.
Unless you're cooking gasoline, or other highly flammable items, you are not going to start a fire while cooking on a gas stove. I've had pots overflow, and nothing much really happens, it just makes a sort of hissing type noise as the liquid hits the flames. Not really a big deal.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:43 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
That said, I do not think cooking with gas is "all that." I despise the smell and don't like the oven or the burners.
I don't think I've ever noticed a smell while cooking with my gas stove or oven. The only time it really smells is if the pilot light goes out. But when I'm just cooking something on the stove? I've never noticed any smell.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:48 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
They're quite trendy now. Sad, thousands of people are dying in gas explosions every day. I can't even drive down the road without people flying out of their homes propelled by natural gas stoves. The worst part is you have to figure out which exploding house the people flew from in order to file an insurance claim. Sometimes, a half dozen homes explode all at once and sorting out the debris takes hours. Gas stoves may be fashionable at the moment, but the inconvenience of constant explosions is a real problem.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:51 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlowvart View Post
Not using your stove isn't going to prevent any gas explosion. I don't want to scare you, but once you have the gas line coming into your house, you are already at risk of blowing up. You might as well get some use out of the stove. Whether you use it or not isn't going to make a difference in terms of exposing you to the dangers of natural gas. Most of the explosions and leaks that happen here are related to construction going on outside the home i.e. sewer main work. Gas leaks, no one is home to smell it, something ignites it. If you are home, you are going to smell it.

I grew up with a gas stove but don't have the connection now. I wanted to get hooked up, but given the incompetence of the people at the gas company when I tried to set that up, I am just as happy not to have it right now.

When we had our line run we did not call the gas company, we called a guy who is licensed, bonded and insured to do gas line installation with all appliances and he owns a propane company as well and we get our propane from him.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:08 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
We have a gas stove/oven. BUT the oven doesnt work. Well it does but theres a gas leak. So we have a grill, crockpot, toaster oven, and george foreman. I can bake in my crockpot, yes even cakes and casseroles. Toaster Oven would likely not be a good idea- more for nuggets or pizza. It has worked so far and will keep working until Taxes. The stove works fine so we do use that. I personally hate Gas and dont cook on it unless hubby is home. 1) because he reaches behind the stove and turns on the gas line 2) i cant seem to cook with it and 3) I just hate it.

I would switch to electric if i could but its too expensive. We will just get a better stove/oven. This one is from the 70s or so. OLD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink