Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 10:13 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,231,107 times

Advertisements

I cooked with the stove yesterday, and will again today. I made the tuna casserole, and the only thing that went wrong; the wheat noodles were awful (trying to be healthy) and stuck to the bottom of the pan. We bought new pans that "said" no stick. I don't think it had to do with the flame.

I did not really smell the gas and it started up immediately after the spark, no explosion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 10:35 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,825,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I cooked with the stove yesterday, and will again today. I made the tuna casserole, and the only thing that went wrong; the wheat noodles were awful (trying to be healthy) and stuck to the bottom of the pan. We bought new pans that "said" no stick. I don't think it had to do with the flame.

I did not really smell the gas and it started up immediately after the spark, no explosion.
Non stick, you still need to grease the pan. Just not as much is needed but still need to either spray Pam or rub down with butter/oil.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Non stick, you still need to grease the pan. Just not as much is needed but still need to either spray Pam or rub down with butter/oil.
I will try that and see if it works.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:46 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:

eh, use regular noodles, it isn't like you eat pasta every day.
The noodles sticking to the pan is an issue for a lot of casseroles like that but I am curious as to why you did not use a glass pyrex for the casserole? It still has to be coated with a small amount of oil or butter though.
Unless you used a cast iron skillet which has to be coated with a thin layer of vegetable oil as well and takes time to season properly.
I'm glad to read that you have used the stove and are a wee bit more comfortable with it.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:52 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,850,284 times
Since you have electronic igniters/ignition you don't have pilot lights. Make sure to turn stovetop valves to spark position (usually high) then when burner is lit turn knob back until igniter (sparks) stop. If a stove top burner is blown out there is no safety so you must make sure there are no big drafts. The oven won't get gas unless the glow coil or igniter is red hot and ready to light it.

...... as with any stove you must keep water or oil in pan to prevent burning/sticking.

P.S. I hate those wheat noodles.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
eh, use regular noodles, it isn't like you eat pasta every day.
The noodles sticking to the pan is an issue for a lot of casseroles like that but I am curious as to why you did not use a glass pyrex for the casserole? It still has to be coated with a small amount of oil or butter though.
Unless you used a cast iron skillet which has to be coated with a thin layer of vegetable oil as well and takes time to season properly.
I'm glad to read that you have used the stove and are a wee bit more comfortable with it.
Thanks. I threw out the Pyrex dishes before we moved because they have a tendency to explode. We bought all new pans, including casserole.

I agree with the wheat noodles. Decided it isn't worth it. We eat enough fruit, vegetables and fiber anyway, might as well enjoy the white noodles.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:01 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
It is human nature to resist change, and mistrust the unfamiliar. This is just one of those things. I bet, by now, the OP has made friends with her stove.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:16 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Quote:
When the gas guy was here, I had him show me how to use it and asked a few questions. When he first hooked it up, the entire kitchen and dining area smelled like gas. He said it was normal, and that I would smell gas every time I start it up at first. But if you keep smelling gas, then there's a problem. Then he showed me the burner (a spark starts up the flame) and the oven itself (a flame). I don't want to give up cooking, but having a live flame in my kitchen while I cook or using a spark to light a flame using gas seems dangerous. I wonder if other people have had a hard time using a gas stove at first?

We did go out to a restaurant near our new home, and the entire place smelled like gas. It made me feel a little bit better. It might be something I need to get used to unless I find a good way around it. I will never stop cooking
I've never had an issue with gas -- used for years with no problems but my mother instilled in me very good habits for stove usage from childhood. I have seen some amazingly dangerous stunts with stoves, from long floopy sleeves or cooking in loose robe sleeves to leaving a wooden spoon handle on the outside of a pot on a very high flame, to not using real potholders, using kitchen towels, which dangle onto to the elements and catch fire.

Anything like that can cause a fire, gas or electric.

There was series of videos made by some woman who had one of those solid ceramic top ranges, and she cooked on the elements themselves instead of using pots... just disgusting. As I said -- people do crazy things.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:37 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,214,622 times
Quote:
Thanks. I threw out the Pyrex dishes before we moved because they have a tendency to explode. We bought all new pans, including casserole.
I think you're letting an irrational fear of explosions rule your life. You should play with some fireworks for a bit to help with that

And yeah, wheat noodles are pretty bad.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:59 PM

701 posts, read 1,692,142 times
Dang, gas appliances was just about a must when I was looking for a rental, and a definite must when I went looking to buy a house. The only danger I ever experienced was when my mother, who's used electric stoves her whole life, came over to my house and tried to start the stove. She had the darn thing on "light" for a good 30 seconds or more and I walked into the kitchen to the smell of major gas! Freaked me out big time. But if you teach your kids (if you have them) the proper technique, once you get comfortable with it you'll never want to move back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink