Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 05:27 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
personally i find it easier to clean a gas range
if a pot overflows and burns something onto a glass electric cooktop there is a good chance you'll never get it out without scratching the glass
Not that I wouldn't switch to natural gas in a minute if it was available to me but there are products out there for cleaning glass tops that remove some pretty gnarly spills without scratching the surface.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 05:58 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I am one who FAR prefers electric - I have had both. The first time I had a gas stove was an old model in an old house. I was afraid to use it at first, but soon became comfortable, so to the OP, it's just a new thing and you can get over the fear of it.

That said, I do not think cooking with gas is "all that." I despise the smell and don't like the oven or the burners. Things bake better in my electric. I would never give up my fantastic smooth top double oven GE electric. It's not really all that cheap where I live, either.

Anyhow, good luck with it!
Dual fuel ranges are all the rage - gas on top, electric oven.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:00 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Tips on keeping it clean:

I foil the metal jackets around the burner. Remove foil and add new foil whenever it gets dirty. I had to razor the smooth top to get it clean more frequently. The gas foil ones? I change them out about once every 10 days. So for me it's easier/cleaner with gas stoves.

If there are food crusted on your metal jacket thingie, just remove, place in sink. Sprinkle baking soda liberally all over it, coating it really well. Then mist or sprinkle vinegar (I keep straight vinegar in a spray bottle) all over it. IT will foam like mad and then settle down. let it sit for a few minutes and use a brillo pad, it will come right off. The foil it! Use the heavy duty foil too.
Easier to put in a plastic bag with a little ammonia. Leave for an hour or two, then wipe off the mess.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:16 AM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Dual fuel ranges are all the rage - gas on top, electric oven.
Dual fuel is probably the ultimate, but moot point for me, as gas is not available in my neighborhood. For the cooking I do, I am quite content with my trusty, heavy-duty GE Profile electric range. This sucker is made very well and does a great job. I can understand that a more "gourmet" cook would prefer the gas top. But for what I cook, I have no complaints.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:38 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I wouldn't allow anything that uses gas in my home. I prefer electric ranges.
No more pilot lights going out or that I-smell-gas alarm. No more jumping a foot off the floor if and when lighting a burner.
I agree with post #1.
I have had gas ranges, obviously. I think the 'more evenly' premise is myth, when referring to oven use.
Pilot Lights are really a thing from the past... at least here in California.

I went to a lot of trouble for my brother... he insisted on a gas cooktop so I put one in for him.... he also has an electric oven with convection and an over the range microwave with convection...

By the way... ALL the firehouses around her cook with gas... turn the knob off and the heat is off!

Old 11-04-2014, 07:40 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,827,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Easier to put in a plastic bag with a little ammonia. Leave for an hour or two, then wipe off the mess.
My metal jackets are too big to put in a baggie. One fits one whole side of the range. But those individual burner ones probably would fit if others have that type.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:43 AM

63 posts, read 213,730 times
You are more likely to die from a coconut falling on your head than from your house exploding because of a gas stove. I would never buy a home that did not have natural gas service. My oven and range are odorless, easy to operate and clean, and cook very well. If I smelled an odor, I would open a window and call the gas company.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:47 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,215,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Pilot Lights are really a thing from the past... at least here in California.
Yeah, I don't think they've made ovens with pilot lights for about 30 years. They all have spark igniters and shut off the gas flow if they can't light the flame.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:48 AM

997 posts, read 1,061,691 times
i learned to cook on an electric stove and never thought I'd use a gas one. When we bought our second house about 20 years ago, it had a gas stove and I was a bit intimidated, but quickly learned to use it and (if I can help it) will never use an electric stove again. You have far more control over temperature with gas, and it's immediate - no waiting for the coil to heat up, nor any wait for it to cool down.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:51 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,827,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet3 View Post
i learned to cook on an electric stove and never thought I'd use a gas one. When we bought our second house about 20 years ago, it had a gas stove and I was a bit intimidated, but quickly learned to use it and (if I can help it) will never use an electric stove again. You have far more control over temperature with gas, and it's immediate - no waiting for the coil to heat up, nor any wait for it to cool down.
My main issue with electric is the "pulsing" of the heat to keep it at a constant temperature. That's what burned a lot of my foods if I tried to simmer. The flame, I find I can simmer for a really long time with no burning at all. I am a convert now to gas stoves/ovens. Mine is old and I will replace it with a newer gas range/oven when I am ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink