Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 06:19 PM

991 posts, read 1,520,296 times

Advertisements

I'm jealous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 08:26 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Since you have electronic igniters/ignition you don't have pilot lights. Make sure to turn stovetop valves to spark position (usually high) then when burner is lit turn knob back until igniter (sparks) stop. If a stove top burner is blown out there is no safety so you must make sure there are no big drafts. The oven won't get gas unless the glow coil or igniter is red hot and ready to light it.

...... as with any stove you must keep water or oil in pan to prevent burning/sticking.

P.S. I hate those wheat noodles.
I always thought this too... that is until I tried my brother's new GE profile gas range... if the flame goes out... the igniters kick in continuously until the flame reignites...

Old 11-05-2014, 09:47 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I always thought this too... that is until I tried my brother's new GE profile gas range... if the flame goes out... the igniters kick in continuously until the flame reignites...
I've probably heard that. I'm afraid I've fallen behind the times. Should have been expected as it's doable with electronic ignition system. Each burner would need a temp sensor ( maybe a simple thermocouple)(no that would involve having a gas safety valve for each burner) or some sort or a flame switch that sees flame. The kids bought a new one recently it might have it.

BTW, I haven't bothered to mention ... I have left a burner going and eggs boiling which exploded all over the ceiling about 30 years ago. Then I woke up. Far worse ....in just the last couple months or so we got back home from an outing. When I opened the door I smelled heat (best way to describe burning smell). Walked in the kitchen expecting to see flames somewhere. Wife keeps these metal covers over the burners, one over each two burners. The burner was on under one. Either one of the gkids or our monster mutt somehow turned that burner on. We were lucky. The pan was blackened and no damage was done otherwise.
Whew!

Old 11-06-2014, 09:59 AM

63 posts, read 213,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Thanks. I threw out the Pyrex dishes before we moved because they have a tendency to explode. We bought all new pans, including casserole.
What? Are you cooking dinner or making meth with these exploding Pyrex dishes?

Old 11-06-2014, 10:22 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Most of my life I have lived in places with gas stoves. I have never had any real problems with them.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:44 AM

351 posts, read 587,178 times
Default There's a whole thread about exploding pyrex dishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithTX View Post
What? Are you cooking dinner or making meth with these exploding Pyrex dishes?
There's a whole thread about exploding pyrex dishes right here: //www.city-data.com/forum/food-...appen-you.html

Old 11-06-2014, 10:50 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Gas for cook tops and electric for ovens has always been our preference.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:51 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Our range does the same thing. Sometimes it can be a little aggravating as if you have the burner on the lowest simmer, it will occasionally click the spark as it thinks the thing has gone out when it hasn't.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:54 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Thanks. I threw out the Pyrex dishes before we moved because they have a tendency to explode. We bought all new pans, including casserole.

I agree with the wheat noodles. Decided it isn't worth it. We eat enough fruit, vegetables and fiber anyway, might as well enjoy the white noodles.

You exploded a Pyrex dish? Wow, that is actually impressive.

In all of my 53 chronological years and my 30+ years of cooking experience I have only known of one Pyrex dish that exploded and it exploded because it had been dropped and had a hairline crack in corner of it and was put into the cabinet like nothing had happened.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:15 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You exploded a Pyrex dish? Wow, that is actually impressive.

In all of my 53 chronological years and my 30+ years of cooking experience I have only known of one Pyrex dish that exploded and it exploded because it had been dropped and had a hairline crack in corner of it and was put into the cabinet like nothing had happened.
Recently I set one on a towel that I didn't realize was slightly damp and it... well, it didn't explode, but let's say it "shattered violently".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink