Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 12:24 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,231,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
Recently I set one on a towel that I didn't realize was slightly damp and it... well, it didn't explode, but let's say it "shattered violently".
A gal showed a picture of hers here. It actually shattered in the oven. I don't want to take that chance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 05:33 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,270,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithTX View Post
What? Are you cooking dinner or making meth with these exploding Pyrex dishes?
Oh, no -- it's a real thing. The older Pyrex was made from borosilicate glass, which can withstand temp changes, but the new soda lime glass doesn't do that well. So you cook something in it, put it on your cold granite countertop, the glass explodes. You freeze a casserole, chuck it in the hot oven frozen, and the glass explodes.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:24 AM

60 posts, read 57,836 times
With Gas you can still cook if the lights go out. Plus if there is a problem you wll smell it.I have always cooked with Gas and not electric. I would take a gas over electric any day.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:09 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Oh, no -- it's a real thing. The older Pyrex was made from borosilicate glass, which can withstand temp changes, but the new soda lime glass doesn't do that well. So you cook something in it, put it on your cold granite countertop, the glass explodes. You freeze a casserole, chuck it in the hot oven frozen, and the glass explodes.

Just another example of how we get fooled... just like the original formula spics and span compared to what is now sold under the same name or even glass wax...

We really did know how to make wonderful things at one time.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:05 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,858,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Just another example of how we get fooled... just like the original formula spics and span compared to what is now sold under the same name or even glass wax...

Whatever technologies China isn't stealing from us we're giving to them. Harbor Freight sells all Chinese tools. They sell wire ties made using Dupont's 66 Nylon. Which is good if really the same. I think the worm is turning though and some manufacturers returning to US. Cheap labor is hard factor for business to overlook.

Many of our gas safety valves for gas stoves/ranges are now made in Mexico. Why? Cheap labor.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:59 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I cooked with the stove yesterday, and will again today. I made the tuna casserole, and the only thing that went wrong; the wheat noodles were awful (trying to be healthy) and stuck to the bottom of the pan. We bought new pans that "said" no stick. I don't think it had to do with the flame.

I did not really smell the gas and it started up immediately after the spark, no explosion.
A trick I learned after much trial and error is to use a lower flame with non-stick pans. A lot of the newer ones conduct heat much faster so will stick, unfortunately.

Keep using the stove. You'll be a pro in no time.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:06 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithTX View Post
What? Are you cooking dinner or making meth with these exploding Pyrex dishes?
Believe it or not, this is a known issue with the newer Pyrex dishes.
They changed the glass formula and they don't last like they used to.
I have a few pieces that are 30+ years old that are still fine but won't buy new due to this issue.

Exploding Pyrex Cookware Mystery Solved

Old 11-07-2014, 11:52 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,270,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

We still do, if people would let us. I am on a buy American kick so I can keep Americans employed.

But I don't buy much anymore. Fiestaware is still made here. All Clad is still made here. KitchenAid stand mixers are still made here. You have to do a little research. My Toyotas? Made in America... and while the company is Japanese, the people in the factories making them are here, spend their money here.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:30 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebegonia View Post
With Gas you can still cook if the lights go out. Plus if there is a problem you wll smell it.I have always cooked with Gas and not electric. I would take a gas over electric any day.
Yes! I've had to do that. There's nothing more welcome than some hot food or a cup of tea when you have no heat in February.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:53 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
Recently I set one on a towel that I didn't realize was slightly damp and it... well, it didn't explode, but let's say it "shattered violently".
Yes, that happened to me once ... and the bowl was full of hot strawberry Jell-O. It ran down the cupboard doors and seeped under the refrigerator ... I was scraping that goop from all over the kitchen for days.

We should be careful with any glass bakeware, really, no matter who made it or when it was made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink