Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2014, 10:53 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,951,155 times

Advertisements

I don't like margarine plain but I do use it in baking. I save the butter for buttering toast or putting on veggies. Using sticks of butter in recipes is too expensive, and margarine yields good results so why not use it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 11:01 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,688,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
This is a friendly conversation and thread.
Not currents events, religion or the political section.
Of course, thats why I didnt mention anything about the FED, Obama, gun control, liberals, conservatives, the deficit, or anything else. Cant a person simply state that they are not into the whole "i have to have the best" craze of some people? I certainly have no ill will towards you or anyone else who wants to eat butter, in fact more power to ya. But to ask/imply that nobody among nobody EVER uses margarine anymore well thats just absurd.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:27 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Of course, thats why I didnt mention anything about the FED, Obama, gun control, liberals, conservatives, the deficit, or anything else. Cant a person simply state that they are not into the whole "i have to have the best" craze of some people? I certainly have no ill will towards you or anyone else who wants to eat butter, in fact more power to ya. But to ask/imply that nobody among nobody EVER uses margarine anymore well thats just absurd.
That was exactly my thought when I read the OP.

And I want to add, for the OP's benefit, up until s few years ago, I could not stand butter...it tasted gross to me. It really did. I think I learned to eat it gradually, and now I do use it in baking. But on toast or a potato, I absolutely prefer margarine. I can eat it with buttrr, but I just prefer the taste of margarine. My sister cannot eat butter still...to this day. She has to ask, in a restaurant, if they have margarine, before she will order a baked potato. I used to do the same thing.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:58 AM

874 posts, read 636,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
That's all...I don't know anyone that buys it.
Anyone use it still and how come?
(I was thinking health wise, it probably tastes good.)
What a great thread! Thanks.

Butter is my main purchase, but I do still use margarine. I use margarine for cheap butter when I'm cooking or baking something where I need fat but I don't need taste. Like, pasta water before adding the pasta or a pot of beans when my main flavoring is bacon.

Like other posters have said, I grew up on margarine, too. My great grandmother made butter, so I had both. Technically, "butter" was made from clabbered milk - kind of like Brummel and Brown or butter made out of sour cream. It has that sour cream bite to it. What we mostly see today is Sweet Cream Butter. Around here, they only carry sweet cream butter and they don't make the distinction. They just call it "butter". My great grandmother made sweet cream butter in the winter when it was cold enough to "hold" (not spoil) since there was no refrigeration. We used to joke that (clabbored milk) butter was already spoiled, and that's why it made it better through the hot summer days.

I remember when Oleo-margarine became popular, like other posters have mentioned. It was white because it was made from oil and they put the orange dye packs in it to make it yellow like (clabbored milk) butter, which was yellow as gold. Sweet cream butter was a much paler yellow. When you pull a gallon of milk from the cow, it's not white. It's a pale yellow/tan-ish color. When it separates, the butterfat is a yellowish color and the whey is lighter with a blue-ish tint. Hence the name "Blue John" for low-fat or no fat milk. Still today, the cap on low fat milk is blue. That isn't a coincidence. My dad always called it "pig swill" because they fed it to the pigs. The Italians were better conservators. They made mozzarella cheese out of their whey. In the 1950s, they touted the health benefits of oleo-margarine because oil was liquid at room temperature and butterfat was not.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:14 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
But to ask/imply that nobody among nobody EVER
uses margarine anymore well thats just absurd.
Darlin' that was in your own mind...my op was curiosity ...I don't know anyone that does...and wanted to know why they do. I got answered.
I learned a lot from links about margarine, also.

I stay away from intense forums on purpose where people often blow
things out of proportion...
I thought it was safe here on Food and Drink, bec a lot
of us are the same old people and understand where we are coming from...which is not
starting things with what is called Extreme Thinking by therapists.

Ex: '' ..nobody among nobody EVER...that's absurd...'
No one implied or said anything close to that if you read the op.
It was a fabrication to think they/I did.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:14 PM

29 posts, read 54,126 times
I use it b'cuz I cannot eat diary products. Not a big user on toast, etc., but it is ok for cooking

Old 12-18-2014, 01:23 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,310,719 times
I've grew up eating only butter till I got married and left home. I started buying margarine because it was cheaper and suppose to be healthier. Now I only use real butter since now I can afford it and it taste better.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:59 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
I really only buy real butter during the holidays for guests, but normally we use Country Crock. I actually prefer it to real butter.

Don

Old 12-18-2014, 05:06 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,548,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Parr View Post
What a great thread! Thanks.

Butter is my main purchase, but I do still use margarine. I use margarine for cheap butter when I'm cooking or baking something where I need fat but I don't need taste. Like, pasta water before adding the pasta or a pot of beans when my main flavoring is bacon.

Like other posters have said, I grew up on margarine, too. My great grandmother made butter, so I had both. Technically, "butter" was made from clabbered milk - kind of like Brummel and Brown or butter made out of sour cream. It has that sour cream bite to it. What we mostly see today is Sweet Cream Butter. Around here, they only carry sweet cream butter and they don't make the distinction. They just call it "butter". My great grandmother made sweet cream butter in the winter when it was cold enough to "hold" (not spoil) since there was no refrigeration. We used to joke that (clabbored milk) butter was already spoiled, and that's why it made it better through the hot summer days.

I remember when Oleo-margarine became popular, like other posters have mentioned. It was white because it was made from oil and they put the orange dye packs in it to make it yellow like (clabbored milk) butter, which was yellow as gold. Sweet cream butter was a much paler yellow. When you pull a gallon of milk from the cow, it's not white. It's a pale yellow/tan-ish color. When it separates, the butterfat is a yellowish color and the whey is lighter with a blue-ish tint. Hence the name "Blue John" for low-fat or no fat milk. Still today, the cap on low fat milk is blue. That isn't a coincidence. My dad always called it "pig swill" because they fed it to the pigs. The Italians were better conservators. They made mozzarella cheese out of their whey. In the 1950s, they touted the health benefits of oleo-margarine because oil was liquid at room temperature and butterfat was not.
That was an interesting post. Thanks!

Old 12-18-2014, 05:23 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I really only buy real butter during the holidays for guests, but normally we use Country Crock. I actually prefer it to real butter.

Don
as a teenager we had a "new" popcorn popper, an electric one - add oil, and kernels and it would eventually pop, and in the middle of the plastic lid was a place to put the butter to melt on the popcorn,

well we loved the country crock,,,so, we'd melt way too much and slather iton ....we loved it!!

of course, back in those times, margarine was much much better for you than butter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink