Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 07:35 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
You win. Ouch.
In the small villages around the base you would find vendors selling all kinds of meat on a stick. Just 6yrs of age at the time, my mom would tell us not to eat anything since we never knew what all was cooking on these open grills. One day while playing at home we noticed one of the vendors pushing a food cart down the street with her baby. The baby was wrapped in a blanket attached to her back like one would with a back pack. She had lots of scavenged items inside the blanket/bag.
As she was pushing her cart we noticed her come upon a dead animal in our street. I don't remember what it was rat, monkey or lizard but it was baking in the sun for a few days. She picked it up and put it in the same blanket with the baby. I never asked my mom to sample the local "mystery meat on a stick" after witnessing that.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:10 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Our family was stationed in the Philippines back in the 70's. Before heading back to the states our parents gave away and sold lots of our possessions to people we knew instead of shipping them back with us. One thing we gave away was our family dog to our maid who really liked our pet. Two weeks before we left, we had dinner at our maids family's house at her insistence. long story short we were served our dog as part of the meal. This was not meant as an offense to us, just something considered normal in the culture there. Needless to say we were very sad for our pet.
This is horrifying!

Old 03-17-2016, 09:35 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,453 times
One that happened to me and one I guess I had a hand in.....

Winky's restaturant (think regional Mcdonalds) back in the late sixties. Mom took me out for a "Big Wink" sandwich and fries, good stuff actually. I always had a habit back then of lifting the bun and taking the pickles off. This time I found a perfect dead fly stuck in the lettuce and dressing. Strangely enough not a gross out thing, more of a "how dare they" kind of event. Mom volunteered to go back in but I said I'll handle this, mind you I'm maybe ten at the time.

You didn't have fast food every third building back then, maybe every major town had one or two places like this, very crowded inside. I cut right thru the lines and head to the counter. "Excuse me, I have a problem"....."kid, you have to go back to the end of the line". I said again, "excuse me, there's something wrong with my sandwich"........"kid, you have to wait your turn". Top of my lungs....."why did you give me a sandwich with a dead fly on it!!!". Dead silence..........like a tomb. Some people left, others stopped eating and started to look a little closer at their food. Manager runs up to the counter, grabs the next two sandwiches coming down the line, opens them up to check them and hands them to me..."fair enough kid?"......"sure, thanks!".

Second story.....small college town dive restaurant, before school job of making donuts. Came in one morning and noticed a huge hole chewed out of the side of the donut mix bag. Brought it to the owner's attention. "Darn rats again.....ok, turn it over and start from there, they opened the bag for you, and watch for brown sprinkles". Nobody knew, nobody complained.

Other than that, pretty lucky over the years.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:58 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Ordering pizza in Belgium. I'll never make that mistake again.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:57 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Long expired diet Mountain Dew. Tasted like battery acid. Good god I can't get rid of that taste every time I think about it!

Old 03-17-2016, 02:36 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Worms or maggots in scrod I was eating at supposedly nice restaurant.
No maggots, but there is a fish worm parasite I used to have to pick out of the cod when I lived/worked/cooked in a "nice' restaurant on the bay for which it draws it's name before I cooked it!

{tastes like chicken!} LOL

Yummy!

Old 03-17-2016, 03:32 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Two incidents...

First was in a dim sum restaurant. It looked like a kiwi fruit, but it was some sort of crispy fried dumpling with taro root paste inside. It was the most disgusting taste. I spit it into the napkin and actually wiped off my tongue.

The second incident was in a seafood joint on the gulf coast. We ordered a huge mixed seafood platter for 3 of us to share. In the first minute that it was on the table, out of the platter crawls a live cockroach, which crawled across the table. We flagged down a server and told her "that" just crawled out of our food. She chuckled and said "Those darn things get in everywhere" and started to walk off. "Wait!", we demanded, "we can't eat this now!". She smirked, walked our platter back into the kitchen and returned literally 1 minute later with a "new" platter. "No thanks, please bring the bill for our drinks!"

Old 03-17-2016, 03:34 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Was offered at my in-laws home coke with milk

Is your mil's name Laverne? (Laverne & Shirley) Penny Marshall drank Pepsi & milk in real life also.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:53 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Just remembered two more... opened a can of SlimFast, bad enough right? I took a big swig and it was clotted and soured like milk! I actually through that up.

Another time I was eating a chocolate chip cookie and I saw a TINY bit of chip on my pant leg. I picked it up and popped it into my mouth...AAACCCKKKK!!! It was apparently a small part of some hideous bug. It crunched and immediately filled my mouth, tongue, and throat with some horrid, acidic, acrid tasting chemical that made me gag and spit and I couldn't get that taste out no matter how much I brushed my teeth and gargled.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:54 PM

4,326 posts, read 1,262,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Is your mil's name Laverne? (Laverne & Shirley) Penny Marshall drank Pepsi & milk in real life also.
That's disgusting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink