Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 10:01 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times

Advertisements

Sorry - ewww!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 10:28 PM

15 posts, read 13,789 times
I haven't had sauteed onions/liver over white rice veggies in years, and i am missing my mother's best beef fried liver, so delicious! I might have to buy some and fry it up,call her again on how she makes it,it is so good, how she does it. I loved it from child-teen on up,and now in thirties i crave it after reading this. I can't get why some don't like it.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:31 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaine View Post
I can't get why some don't like it.
Texture

Old 03-28-2017, 10:40 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
I like it the way I fix it at home.

I grill or broil the liver, being careful not to overcook it (I like thick slices better than thin ones for this reason). I want it to be what would, in a steak, be medium to medium rare. I usually put lemon juice on it before cooking, and maybe a little butter to keep it from sticking. I saute the onions with fresh mushrooms in butter and olive oil, then add a little soy sauce, and put them over the cooked liver.

Calf liver is best, but if you want to make beef liver a bit milder, you can soak it briefly in milk or buttermilk, and then rinse it, before cooking it. This also helps break down some of the tough bits that can be present in mature beef liver.

Overcooked liver is horrible. It's bitter, and has a texture like shoe leather. I suspect most people who dislike liver do so because they have only had it poorly prepared.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:12 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
I said "eww" right after reading this, without even thinking!

Sorry, I wouldn't eat liver even if my life depended on it! Its gross!

Old 03-28-2017, 11:15 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Texture
To me, its about what it is. Liver. Its not meat, its an organ! Its like eating eyes, tongue, spleen, heart, lungs, stomach... blach!! Its a mental thing, plus taste+texture. Its just gross. Part of why I can't eat frog legs or any cooked reptile like gator or snake.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:16 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I like it the way I fix it at home.

I grill or broil the liver, being careful not to overcook it (I like thick slices better than thin ones for this reason). I want it to be what would, in a steak, be medium to medium rare. I usually put lemon juice on it before cooking, and maybe a little butter to keep it from sticking. I saute the onions with fresh mushrooms in butter and olive oil, then add a little soy sauce, and put them over the cooked liver.

Calf liver is best, but if you want to make beef liver a bit milder, you can soak it briefly in milk or buttermilk, and then rinse it, before cooking it. This also helps break down some of the tough bits that can be present in mature beef liver.

Overcooked liver is horrible. It's bitter, and has a texture like shoe leather. I suspect most people who dislike liver do so because they have only had it poorly prepared.
Yes to both the calf and milk. My mom did both. She then dredged it in flour, seasoned it with pepper, but not sure what else. I attempted it a couple times since she passed away. 1st time not too bad. The 2nd was a failure imho but hubby liked it.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:28 AM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Texture
And odor. Gag.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:46 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
When I was a kid my mother cooked liver about once a week. I hated it!

My dad made us 7 kids eat it before we could leave the table. He was such a control freak.

My solution: Skippy. Our mutt sat under the table eagerly waiting for a bite. I'd slip it to her when dad wasn't looking. She loved it!

Old 03-29-2017, 05:50 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
To me, its about what it is. Liver. Its not meat, its an organ! Its like eating eyes, tongue, spleen, heart, lungs, stomach... blach!! Its a mental thing, plus taste+texture. Its just gross. Part of why I can't eat frog legs or any cooked reptile like gator or snake.
MEAT is MUSCLE tissue, you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink