Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 09:29 AM

45,438 posts, read 60,638,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

Does anyone know what "OCS" is???

They should. Officer Candidate School. Specifically Aviation Officer Candidate School at NAS Pensacola.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 11:16 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,492,253 times
Love it! Love the mash potato with it as well. Go you!

Old 03-29-2017, 11:43 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,168,153 times
Twice people have said shoe leather, but no that's not it at all, at least not to me. It's more of a soft, almost mealy sort of mouth feel, sort of like I'm trying to eat someone's tongue or something, hard to explain, but not pleasant and not like eating a steak, roast, or a burger for texture. Maybe that's what initially turned me off, because the mouth feel wasn't at all what I expected it to feel like the first time I sat down to a plate of liver and onions.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:46 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Ewww carrots? Ick.

Otherwise, sounds great.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:59 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,754,662 times
Have never enjoyed beef liver but I buy chicken livers at least once a year. Spaghetti Caruso!

Old 03-29-2017, 12:14 PM

10,101 posts, read 6,444,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Twice people have said shoe leather, but no that's not it at all, at least not to me. It's more of a soft, almost mealy sort of mouth feel, sort of like I'm trying to eat someone's tongue or something, hard to explain, but not pleasant and not like eating a steak, roast, or a burger for texture. Maybe that's what initially turned me off, because the mouth feel wasn't at all what I expected it to feel like the first time I sat down to a plate of liver and onions.
I disagree; tongue has a different texture entirely. I love some thin-sliced tongue on rye bread with onion. Yum! My Mom used to make calves liver and onions when I was a kid, but only on nights when my Dad would be home late from work. He couldn't even abide the smell, but we loved it. She could make the liver so tender, and with the browned onions (in that day, they didn't refer to them as "caramelized", lol), well, that liver was scrumptious. I've never been able to duplicate it. However, I do have pretty good success with sauteeing chicken livers, which I also love. I use onion gravy mix instead of sliced onions though.

Old 03-29-2017, 01:47 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I love liver and onions but only eat it maybe twice a year, sometimes less, and only in restaurants. It's hard to find around here and the restaurant I used to get it from closed. I miss that liver dumpling soup. I actually prefer chicken liver but they rarely come with the whole chickens anymore.
I love beef as well as chicken liver - when I was a kid "my" part of the chicken was the wings and the liver.

Around here you can buy chicken livers by the pound, kind of like you would fresh oysters - very, very cheap
and great for rumaki - ala Trader Vics.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:01 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Once upon a time when I was a dinner waiter I worked in a place that did L&O's wonderfully
and I was able to parlay that lowest priced item on the menu into very good tips.

Most commonly it was a group of older customers with the guys chest bumping over who had the
best returns on the portfolio over the last quarter but really even cheaper than i am now. As everyone
was going over the menu and seeing the steaks and other higher priced choices... I'd be asked for a suggestion.

"How long has it been since you had Liver & Onions? They do it really well..."

The eyes would float down the menu and then smiles would break out as the guys realized they had the
perfect out to save themselves a few bucks. A few back and forth's later and I'd have sold them a few appy's
and another round of drinks before the salads would show up. And I got to be their hero.

Ca-ching! You go Liver and Onions!
---

Just be sure it's CALVE'S liver and not beef liver.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:02 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,696,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaine View Post
I haven't had sauteed onions/liver over white rice veggies in years, and i am missing my mother's best beef fried liver, so delicious! I might have to buy some and fry it up,call her again on how she makes it,it is so good, how she does it. I loved it from child-teen on up,and now in thirties i crave it after reading this. I can't get why some don't like it.
Liver is a very bloody organ, which is what gives it the chalky flavor. Marinade it in cheap red wine and discard what comes out. You will be amazed.

Liver is a very delicate meat, as delicate as fish. Some people fry it to death and turn it into shoe leather. If you like it crispy, give it about a minute a side in a smoking hot pan. Dredging in flour will improve the surface texture. Seasoning is optional, but many people prefer bacon grease and onions. DO NOT try to fry the liver with the onions. Caramelize the onions first and serve them as a side or over the liver.

Surprisingly, you can also make a tasty liver casserole. Use the bacon grease to make a roux for gravy, then layer liver, onions and gravy into a casserole dish and bake. If the ingredients go in hot, just give it half an hour at 350 degrees for the flavors to meld. This can be served with rice or mashed potatoes and a vegetable course.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:13 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,696,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Once upon a time when I was a dinner waiter I worked in a place that did L&O's wonderfully
and I was able to parlay that lowest priced item on the menu into very good tips.

Most commonly it was a group of older customers with the guys chest bumping over who had the
best returns on the portfolio over the last quarter but really even cheaper than i am now. As everyone
was going over the menu and seeing the steaks and other higher priced choices... I'd be asked for a suggestion.

"How long has it been since you had Liver & Onions? They do it really well..."

The eyes would float down the menu and then smiles would break out as the guys realized they had the
perfect out to save themselves a few bucks. A few back and forth's later and I'd have sold them a few appy's
and another round of drinks before the salads would show up. And I got to be their hero.

Ca-ching! You go Liver and Onions!
---

Just be sure it's CALVE'S liver and not beef liver.
As one of those older guys with a healthy portfolio, we didn't get there by ordering the most expensive thing on the menu. Some of the smiles could also be from finding a restaurant with a cook who knows how to handle liver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink