Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 04:04 PM

256 posts, read 616,830 times

Advertisements

Trader Joe's. Coconut Cashews and Cookie Butter. Don't do Whole paycheck. Love Sprouts for their bulk bins of nuts, flour and dried fruits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 04:14 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,016,532 times
Whole Foods : MY TANGERINE JUICE !!!
Cannot find it anywhere else
I used to be able to find it at several places, but not now .

At my local one if you buy any produce you'd better inhale it because it goes bad very fast , this is both organic and non organic .

Old 04-16-2017, 04:58 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,854,815 times
A new WF opened near us but only been there a couple times. Other than their house brands, I don't see anything that is worth what they ask. Traders Joe's is not here. Don't have Pubix. When visiting daughter in Philly, love going to Wegman's. Not cheap like WM, but interesting. Wife likes Albertson's .

Old 04-16-2017, 05:11 PM

586 posts, read 554,193 times
I'll agree that Whole Foods is expensive overall, but one thing I do like is that you can go in to many of them and get a small amount of a specialty item. Like if you want a small amount of a spice or something else that they carry in one of the dry goods bins. They also have some interesting honeys and other foods that are kind of unexpected.

World Market has inexpensive spices too.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:35 PM

5 posts, read 5,368 times
I moved out of Wegmans market area and that is a really high bar for any other grocery store to meet in our eyes! They are truly world class and the prices were decent.
Whole Foods- very overpriced, and 45 min away, but the only place I can find Linguica (Portuguese) sausage for a favorite meal.
Trader Joes is about 30 minutes away, but we like to make it a specialty trip:
Frozen Mahi Mahi
Cheeses!!
Fresh arugula
Inexpensive Wines.
Trail Mix
Great assortment of frozen foods in almost every cuisine imaginable!
[there are many more but memory fails me]
Publix is our #2 day to day shopping store and I agree that the fried chicken is total crack! Almost eating it out of the box on the way home! And the ready made Cubans and other sandwiches are a staple on busy days. Their house mild Italian sausage is excellent, but from there, not much really stands out.
Our #1 Go To for shopping is Aldi's. Best bang for the buck and the food is great! They do knockoffs and do it better! Their sandwich thins are far better than Arnold's and over a dollar cheaper. Amazing snacks, knockoff cereals, canned vegetables that taste good! Sliced "sandwich" cheeses include Gouda and Havarti. Great selection of imported meats (jambon serrano, porchetta, pancetta, etc) Frozen gulf of Mexico shrimp. And many products are organic and more are introduced all the time.
Produce is hit and miss, but we mostly shop local farm stands.
A new store came to town EARTH FARE, which is pretty much Whole Foods with a different sign! But I can get organic lemons for my homemade limoncello at a good price.
DANG! This is making me hungry!

Old 04-16-2017, 11:00 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,481,894 times
No Publix, but do have TJ and Whole Foods. I usually shop at Fred Meyer but occasionally stop at TJ. I havent sampled the food at Whole Foods but might try in the future.

TJ: roasted marinated artichoke hearts, boxed soups, cucumber sauerkraut, muesli.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:00 PM

586 posts, read 554,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
Whole Foods : MY TANGERINE JUICE !!!
Cannot find it anywhere else
I used to be able to find it at several places, but not now .

At my local one if you buy any produce you'd better inhale it because it goes bad very fast , this is both organic and non organic .
You can get tangerine juice at TJ's.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:00 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,378,331 times
We do not have a Publix nearby but every Friday Harris Teeter sells a bucket of very delicious fried chicken for $4.99. I try to avoid it but it is compelling.

For Trader Joe's my favorites are their homemade tamales -- particularly the pork with red chili. Also mango ginger chutney, almond windmill cookies, triple ginger snaps, the spanakopita, frozen mini chicken tamales, salted yellow corn chips, all their trail mixes and nuts, jarred eggplant and garlic sauce, their Italian roast coffee, Swiss alpine bread, their sourdough bread, crumpets, vacuum packed tri tip roast (a bit spicy but good for fajitas) and jasmine rice. Their frozen Indian entrees are also pretty good.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:09 AM

50 posts, read 48,091 times
I live very close to all three (being in South Florida Helps).

Trader Joe's: I love their cheese selection, particularly the Bacon Cheddar and Blue Cheese. I also love their cereal bars (Apple and Strawberry are my favorite) and their wine selection is excellent and very well priced.

Publix: Fried chicken, but the best would be their sub department. I love their Boar's Head Italian (though it should not be with mayonnaise or mustard as they always want to put on).

Whole Foods: Like Trader Joe's, they have a great cheese selection. Besides cheeses, Whole Food products are good but just too expensive for me.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:19 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,888,864 times
Whole Foods: St. Andre double-creme cheese; it's the best price in town @ $10.99, and goes so well with a loaf of WF Italian bread; eggs; butter; cream; ground chicken; whole chickens.

Trader Joe's: Cafe Pajaro
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink