Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 08:29 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,424,323 times

Advertisements

I don't shop any one store exclusively..

We have four choices near me.. Publix, Winn-Dixie, Aldi's and Walmart, both a super center and a market..
They each offer something in the way of value to me as a consumer, I usually hit each one on a shopping day with Aldi's being the least frequented..

Walmart gets most of my last minute business due to it being exactly 1.1 mile from my front door..
I will not buy meat products from Walmart with the exception of the Cryovac Smithfield pork products..

Old 06-14-2017, 08:42 PM

509 posts, read 485,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
Do most people shop at Walmart for their groceries in the US? I was interested to know this as I'm from UK and always hear Walmart as the main store for food shopping. If anyone is familiar with UK food stores, where would you place Walmart in regards to comparison to stores such as Sainsburys, Asda (which I belive was owned by Walmart) Waitrose, Tesco, Morrison's? I am presuming states like California are more wholefood stores and therefore more expensive to grocery shop, though again I'm not sure on that so correct me if i'm wrong
Don't believe Chef Ramsay's pitches for Walmart. He does get paid for them, after all.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:48 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
OP, I think Walmart is most comparable to ASDA in the UK in that they offer food plus many more things in between (clothes, toys, etc). Sainsbury / Waitrose / Tesco, etc are more like traditional grocery stores, comparable to Shoprite, Wegmans, etc in the US.
Although some Tescos I've been in have had clothing sections.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:54 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
I try to avoid Walmart for groceries whenever I can, though in our area it's pretty much a choice of Walmart or Krogers. Though an Aldi opened up a few months ago. Wish we'd get a Publix. Walmart may have lower prices, but you have to watch because it's not always true. I seldom buy meat or produce there because it's of low quality. Some cuts are just so bad there's no preparation that can fix them.

Really miss Winn Dixie from when I was growing up. They used to sell a lot of prime but now most of the stores go no better than choice. And I'm suspicious of even that label at times.

Our local Aldi is really cheap, but their selection is limited. I don't mean just because it's their store brand, but very limited depth of product.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:27 PM

194 posts, read 273,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
For anything processed, I try and stick to Trader Joes because if it has their name on it, it is free trade, organic, non GMO.
That isn't true. Don't buy the lie. There is a lot of processed crap in Trader Joes. Organic is a certification, you just can't claim it. They sell a lot of GMO crap too. Don't get me wrong, I like TJ but you really have to watch what you buy. Stick with certified organic items. Google Food Babe Trader Joe's for a good read and ask yourself why TJ refuses to disclose? Or why they refuse to work with the Non GMO Project?

Old 06-15-2017, 01:50 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
I rarely, if ever, go to Wal-Mart for groceries, and never for produce as the prices, IMO, are always so sky-high.

In Las Vegas, we're blessed with a whole array of Latin grocery chains, like Marketon, La Bonita (my favorite), El Super and Marianna's, and they all have great restaurants inside, and cheaper produce.

But, largely, I just shop at Albertson's as they have such a great bakery. Smith's? Never!

Old 06-15-2017, 02:29 AM

240 posts, read 253,919 times
At least in the PNW, Walmart absolutely is not even in the top 3 places to get groceries and the company barely existed here at all until they began opening smaller neighborhood model stores. As a little kid in Beaverton, my parents occasionally went to the Wal-mart in McMinnville, 30 miles away, because that was apparently the nearest location (maybe not, but I can't confirm otherwise) and I don't think it was even a Supercenter (then again, I'm not sure if the Supercenters were common in the mid 90s.)

Here, the main four chains are Fred Meyer (department and grocery store), Safeway, Albertsons, and Winco (whose groceries, in my experience, are cheaper than Walmart + it feels much nicer and less generic than Walmart.) So given four better options, plus apathy towards large chain stores, there's not too much room here for Walmart, though honestly I wish they weren't here at all.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:14 AM

862 posts, read 976,409 times
Heck no, the fruit and the meat are barely edible, just cheap, I like good supermarket's like shop-rite here in northeast, the wholefoods just occasionally for better quality items.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I try to avoid Walmart for groceries whenever I can, though in our area it's pretty much a choice of Walmart or Krogers. Though an Aldi opened up a few months ago. Wish we'd get a Publix. Walmart may have lower prices, but you have to watch because it's not always true. I seldom buy meat or produce there because it's of low quality. Some cuts are just so bad there's no preparation that can fix them.

Really miss Winn Dixie from when I was growing up. They used to sell a lot of prime but now most of the stores go no better than choice. And I'm suspicious of even that label at times.

Our local Aldi is really cheap, but their selection is limited. I don't mean just because it's their store brand, but very limited depth of product.
Yes, Aldi's selections are small, not a lot of choices. Sometimes I just want a better choice. An example is canned soup: spoiled brat loves soup, canned or home made. When I go out for the day, like bridge, I tell him to open a can of soup. If we have shopped only at Aldi's he may have a choice 3 kinds in the pantry. Their meat selection is super small and on and on. Our Aldi's has recently been remodeled so it is a bit larger and has a slighter better selection than some. Regardless of all this, it is still the place we save the most money and can find most of what we need if it is a basic staple. I do love their cheese selection.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I can find things at WalMart that I can't find anywhere else, so I don't have a problem shopping there. However, that's not where I shop for groceries.
I think that is the secret to their success; if you want everything under one roof go to Wal Mart. We are pretty much like you, there are times when we do go to WalMart and I can assure everyone on this topic, most people everywhere I have lived do a lot of shopping at Wal Mart, even when we were vacationing in Mexico a few years ago, but for food, it isn't our thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink