Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 07:24 PM

88,611 posts, read 84,857,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Tomato based Campbell's soups changed flavor when they built a new plant in Ohio & tore down the old plant in Camden. They used to contract with farmers in South Jersey to grow the tomatoes. They now get the tomatoes from farmers in Ohio.

Progresso soups are canned in Vineland which is also in South Jersey.
Ah, that explains it. Nothing tastes like a Jersey tomato. I think it's the toxic waste in our soil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 07:48 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ah, that explains it. Nothing tastes like a Jersey tomato. I think it's the toxic waste in our soil.
That's got to be it.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:36 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Progresso is using the vegetables from South Jersey that Campbell's used a generation or so ago.

The closest that I've tasted to Jersey tomatoes is NC tomatoes grown in the Piedmont. Most of the Jersey tomatoes have come from the farms in a strip of piedmont clay, the same type of soil that is in the NC Piedmont.

In other words, yes it's toxic waste.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:14 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Progresso is using the vegetables from South Jersey that Campbell's used a generation or so ago.

The closest that I've tasted to Jersey tomatoes is NC tomatoes grown in the Piedmont. Most of the Jersey tomatoes have come from the farms in a strip of piedmont clay, the same type of soil that is in the NC Piedmont.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:24 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,164,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
I think the tomato soup is sweeter. More sugar. Or high fructose corn syrup?
Yes, high fructose corn syrup seems to be everywhere these days and at the same time diabetes rates are skyrocketing. It seems almost everyone I know these days are either pre-diabetic or already dealing with diagnosed diabetes. I have relatives that have to test their sugar levels at different times of the day and then have to inject themselves with insulin, sometimes twice a day, or if they are "lucky" they take a pill.

Back to the tomato soup - tomato soup tastes better with a bit of cream (heavy whipped cream, once in a while). You can even add it to can soup sometimes, I think but I like to make my own tomato soup. Creamy texture sometimes tastes better than adding sugar to the soup.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:01 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Yes, high fructose corn syrup seems to be everywhere these days and at the same time diabetes rates are skyrocketing. It seems almost everyone I know these days are either pre-diabetic or already dealing with diagnosed diabetes. I have relatives that have to test their sugar levels at different times of the day and then have to inject themselves with insulin, sometimes twice a day, or if they are "lucky" they take a pill.

Back to the tomato soup - tomato soup tastes better with a bit of cream (heavy whipped cream, once in a while). You can even add it to can soup sometimes, I think but I like to make my own tomato soup. Creamy texture sometimes tastes better than adding sugar to the soup.
I make Campbell's Cream of Mushroom and Tomato with whole milk only; never water. Maybe I should try sour cream to cut the sweetness?

Old 04-02-2018, 10:33 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times
Quote:

We think out NC tomatoes are pretty good too...

Old 04-02-2018, 11:01 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
We think out NC tomatoes are pretty good too...
They're definitely the closest taste to Jersey tomatoes, plus the Jersey tomatoes from South Jersey are usually the same types that grow in NC.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:29 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times
I admit to buying an occasional cream of onion or cream of mushroom can. Usually freeze small portions so when I need a quick thickener or more flavor, a tablespoon can be added...

Old 04-02-2018, 11:46 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,525,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Maybe I should try sour cream to cut the sweetness?
Personally, I'd try a splash of a good dry red wine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink