Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 07:08 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times

Advertisements

I'm in Tennessee. They're rarely seen on menus here. You can get frozen ones at the grocery store. A local business will occasionally bring back live crabs from Maryland, so I guess you could make your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 08:33 AM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
MOST of the crab cakes that I see in the Midwest and the Southwest contain at least some imitation crab meat. If you are paying less that about $6-8 per crab cake, more likely you are getting the imitation crabmeat or an awful lot of filler. Or they are using some really cheap crabmeat coming from China.

Even upscale groceries like Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati often are using a Chinese sourced product.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
MOST of the crab cakes that I see in the Midwest and the Southwest contain at least some imitation crab meat. If you are paying less that about $6-8 per crab cake, more likely you are getting the imitation crabmeat or an awful lot of filler. Or they are using some really cheap crabmeat coming from China.

Even upscale groceries like Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati often are using a Chinese sourced product.
I am sure you are correct. The ones we order from Legal seafood do not, but they are still filled with so much filler I would just as soon have imitation crab and no filler. For breakfast Sunday we are having crab cakes Benedict I am using the left over cakes from the other night, flattening them out and adding some canned crab. Hopefully that will help. I will make faux Hollandaise sauce.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:01 AM

403 posts, read 620,170 times
reasonably popular in Atlanta - on most seafood menus and in the prepared foods counters of nicer grocery stores like Fresh Market, Whole Foods etc.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:13 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times
Not uncommon on the menu of expensive restaurants. I’ve never had one I liked, but I’m not a huge seafood lover. Maybe if I went to Maryland...

Old 09-07-2018, 10:14 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am sure you are correct. The ones we order from Legal seafood do not, but they are still filled with so much filler I would just as soon have imitation crab and no filler. For breakfast Sunday we are having crab cakes Benedict I am using the left over cakes from the other night, flattening them out and adding some canned crab. Hopefully that will help. I will make faux Hollandaise sauce.
Crab cakes Benedict! Now there's a great dish. I had that at a "Mimi's" restaurant in CA. But the crab cake itself wasn't spectacular. Hollandaise will kick anything up a notch.

I've had crab cakes all over the U.S. and none were very good. I tried making them myself with lump crabmeat and still not very good.

Lots of crab down here, but like all the other seafood, it comes from warm waters so IMO, none of it is very good. Quite a disappointment, living right on the coast with all the seafood/shellfish you could ask for, but all poor quality.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:16 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
On the coast of Oregon, where there is plentiful and excellent crab, crab cakes aren't very popular. People prefer to eat crab in a different form. Some of the restaurants serve them, but I suspect that the restaurants that serve them are serving the frozen ones. I've never heard anyone raving about the great crab cakes they ate. A good fish restaurant is much more likely to have crab bisque than to have crab cakes.

Crab Louis, crab Foo Yong, but mostly steamed crab with melted butter, a bit of crab topping halibut, is much more likely to be how crab is eaten on the west coast. I make a good crab enchilada and have zero interest in making crab cakes.

Crab Louis is the most famous dish of fisherman's wharf in San francisco.
What they said^^^^^^^^^^

Old 09-07-2018, 02:15 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Once you have a piece of king crab leg, why would you eat a crab cake that are usually blue crab meat and doesn't taste like crab.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:09 PM

3,140 posts, read 2,261,224 times
Been to Maryland and Delaware many times but never had a crab cake. I love steamed crab legs though, but the idea of mixing them up to fry them doesn’t appeal to me at all.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:35 PM

130,456 posts, read 12,124,678 times
When we lived in the Bay area, they were on many menus, up here in the foothills not so much, but I do see frozen ones for sale at the supermarket. I don't eat them, but hubby does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink