Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 01:13 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times

Advertisements

I made crab cakes for dinner last night. Followed the recipe on my old can of Old Bay (newer cans have a different recipe that includes dry mustard). They were great. Had half of the batch last night. Having the rest tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You got it.I can remember one Saturday standing in line which extended outside and down the street for about an hour just to get our table. It was about 6pm I think. anyway I loved the place.
It was fun to tour the naval academy and then drive over to Baltimore for dinner. Probably one of our favorite places to take our out of town guests and we had plenty of them.
I only ate at Haussner's twice, but both times were great.

When you took visitors to the Naval Academy, did you take them to John Paul Jones' crypt? That's one of my favorite places in the Yard.

My mom is from Strong, Arkansas. About as far as you can get from Bella Vista while remaining in the same state.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:06 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
They're a common starter course on the West coast. That said, I've never had Maryland crabcakes, which are likely way better.

I make them for dinner quite often, but they're not as good as the restaurant ones. Not sure why...

Old 09-19-2018, 04:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I only ate at Haussner's twice, but both times were great.

When you took visitors to the Naval Academy, did you take them to John Paul Jones' crypt? That's one of my favorite places in the Yard.

My mom is from Strong, Arkansas. About as far as you can get from Bella Vista while remaining in the same state.
Depending on the timing and the guests, we sometimes went to John Paul Jones' crypt?
I have no idea where Strong Ar is, but I bet it is very different today than when your mom lived there. The state is changing so much. Of course NWA is the part of the state that has changed the most. We don't even marry our cousins anymore and we keep our fridge in the house, not on the front porch. Most of us have teeth.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:09 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
not at all....maybe because we produce more lobsters than any other state
I will take a lump crab cake over lobster any day. Living in Texas, I have to fly to Baltimore a few times a year just to experience real crab cakes, steamed crabs. Although I do occasionally enjoy Maine lobster, I don’t ever crave it.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:44 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,082,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
not at all....maybe because we produce more lobsters than any other state
That might be true for Maine lobster, but Florida harvests more spiny lobster than any other state.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

I have no idea where Strong Ar is, but I bet it is very different today than when your mom lived there.

It's a little southeast of Eldorado, about 10 miles north of the state line. I was there a year ago to scatter her ashes. When she lived there (1924-1942), the population was just over 1000, and the town had a little downtown area with active businesses, including her father's barber shop and my great-uncle's Lion gas station. Now, the population is just over 600, and most of the businesses are gone.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:55 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
Heard of them. Never eaten them. But I've been out dining with a friend (who's also from Utah) who has ordered them. She loves them.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:03 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
we had crab cakes the other night - excellent !!

bought a 1lb canned crab meat (lump)

should have these more often

Old 09-22-2018, 12:20 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In Maryland, you can get crab cakes all over the place. But I'm wondering how popular this food is in other areas.

Here in coastal NC they're available at the fish counter of many groceries but I prefer to make them myself. We also have a local shrimper fleet so shrimp cakes are also on my to-do list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
For those of you especially outside the mid-Atlantic region, have you had crab cakes? Do you know what they are?
The correct answer is: Deeeeeeeeelishus!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink