Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 03:40 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,698,043 times

Advertisements

Very popular here in NJ. Finding a really good one is the hard part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 04:20 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,999,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
They're very popular here in NJ, but then again, we are mid-Atlantic and just a short hop up the coast from you.

But again, I spent a lot of time in Ontario, which has no ocean, and at the farmer's market in the rural lake country where I go, there's a guy who sells homemade crab cakes, good ones, and if you don't get there early enough, he is sold out.
I second this, very popular here.

Edit: Apparently I third this, considering the post right above mine.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:51 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
I live in OH and crab cakes are good to great and very available.

We spent a couple of days in W.Virginia, and they were on every menu at 4 restaurants - lunch and dinner.

DH ordered them at one place, and they were made with real crab, not imitation sea food, and were very tasty and not too "bready" or greasy. Nicely seasoned. I've also had good crab cakes in PA and NJ.

I think crab cakes are no longer regional, I think they are rather trendy. However, after reading this thread, it seems that they are most popular along the eastern seaboard and the middle Atlantic states.

Old 09-08-2018, 03:01 AM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
If you're much more than a hour away from being able to spit directly into the Chesapeake Bay or one of its immediate tributaries (I don't mean the Susquehanna River in Cooperstown, NY), don't bother with crab cakes. You might get lucky and get one that's edible, but the chances are slim.
I'm not going to let you get away with saying that. New Jersey has good crab cakes, too. No, I'm not from NJ.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:25 AM

16,282 posts, read 10,424,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm in Tennessee. They're rarely seen on menus here. You can get frozen ones at the grocery store. A local business will occasionally bring back live crabs from Maryland, so I guess you could make your own.
I am really surprised to read that people truck in live crabs, they are delicate and a dead one is dangerous and discarded. Just does not seem like there's a market for it down there.

I like this thread because it just shows how many regional foods we have in this country. Obviously the crab cakes here in Maryland are the best but our BBQ doesn't match the south, our lobster ain't the same as Rhode Island etc.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:10 AM

27,580 posts, read 28,687,607 times
It's good to know that restaurants in other states serve crab cakes. I really haven't noticed them much outside of Maryland and Delaware.

I'll have to pay a little closer attention next time. lol.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:28 PM

17,594 posts, read 13,372,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I am really surprised to read that people truck in live crabs, they are delicate and a dead one is dangerous and discarded. Just does not seem like there's a market for it down there.

I like this thread because it just shows how many regional foods we have in this country. Obviously the crab cakes here in Maryland are the best but our BBQ doesn't match the south, our lobster ain't the same as Rhode Island etc.
There is a restaurant here (I'm sure more than 1) that fly in fresh fish every other day

Old 09-08-2018, 02:56 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,416,137 times
In Miami, Fl ?? Not at all !!!!

Old 09-09-2018, 06:25 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
I did a search on "Best Crab Cakes in New Jersey", and this place popped up. It's not far from where I live, but I haven't been there.

Dinner Menu – Bahrs Landing – Highlands, New Jersey

At $33, they'd better be good.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:44 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
I'm in Denver. Crabcakes is something I don't think I've ever seen on a menu here. I'm SURE there are places that serve them but they're probably either too expensive by my standards or sub-par. I grew up in Jersey - I'm an oddity among my family and friends because I don't like seafood. But Crabcakes are something I make an exception for. You can get such YUMMY crab cakes in Jersey. My relatives used to drive an hour to Newark to get crab balls made at some shop there. They were basically deep fried balls of crab meat. They were phenomenal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink