Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 04:21 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times

Advertisements

I believe that our air fryer has bit the dust and is heading for the small appliance burial ground. It shall be replaced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 04:28 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
How do so many of you get into the restaurant supply stores?
Most of the ones here in Houston are open to the public. If I need to go to the big one that isn't, I borrow the card from the church that sponsors our Scout troop, but that's rare.

Old 01-24-2020, 07:39 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
I replaced my mixing bowl red and white-enameled metal bowl/plastic red lid set with stainless steel bowls clad in silicone on the bottom. Besides no more chipping, the new bowl’s bottom color matches the colored lids— no more trying out different lids to find the right one when I’m in a hurry.

The white enameled colander was also chipping and was replaced with a stainless steel one too. I loved the look of the enamel ones, but the chipping was unhygienic and it was time to let them go.

Old 01-24-2020, 07:44 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
No, it would never cross my mind to toss something in the kitchen just because it was in the new year.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:38 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
If I had my druthers, I would toss MOST of the things that my wife has brought into the kitchen. These include but are NOT limited to:

1) The foldable bowls that generally leak.
2) The various tupperware containers with out lids and the pseudo-lids made of rubber.
3) Most of the vegetable peelers that were intended to replace the kind I used as a kid.
4) Most of the pans that she has collected from thrift stores. I will show her pictures of what I want and she will bring me something that is completely different and is "better."
5) The baskets she places in the refrigerator to "organize" the shelves that reduce the capacity and versatility of the refrigerator space.

Since I do 90% of the cooking, I would love to go through the kitchen and get rid of 40% of the kitchen equipment. However, to do so would involve slaughtering sacred cows - her Grandmother's tupperware without lids, Aunt Myrtle's baking stuff, etc.

Old 01-25-2020, 03:24 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I wondered if anyone was freshening up some of their kitchen gear? Or tossing old stuff? I’ve decided to donate my iron grill pan. Every time I used it, I worried about dropping it—on my toe, on my porcelain sink or my stove. And it was a pain to maintain. It is gone from my kitchen.

I also got rid of some old baking sheets and replaced with three new ones from Chicago Metallic. I am not happy about the care instructions for them, but I guess we’ll see how they perform.

And I’ve ordered a new tea mug just for me.

Am looking to discard some more stuff.

What about you?

About half the non-motorized kitchen implements I have, came from my family, some from long before I was born. Spoons, knifes, bowls, cooking sheets, hand-mixers and such. The prize of them all, an old, wall-mounted, Swingaway hand can opener, is better than anything made today.

Old 01-25-2020, 06:51 AM

24,579 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
If I had my druthers, I would toss MOST of the things that my wife has brought into the kitchen. These include but are NOT limited to:

1) The foldable bowls that generally leak.
2) The various tupperware containers with out lids and the pseudo-lids made of rubber.
3) Most of the vegetable peelers that were intended to replace the kind I used as a kid.
4) Most of the pans that she has collected from thrift stores. I will show her pictures of what I want and she will bring me something that is completely different and is "better."
5) The baskets she places in the refrigerator to "organize" the shelves that reduce the capacity and versatility of the refrigerator space.

Since I do 90% of the cooking, I would love to go through the kitchen and get rid of 40% of the kitchen equipment. However, to do so would involve slaughtering sacred cows - her Grandmother's tupperware without lids, Aunt Myrtle's baking stuff, etc.
'Funerals' take place right before the trash truck arrives. SO has learned to correctly interpret my 'I do not remember where I put it'.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:44 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
We are tossing a Tassimo coffeemaker, because we got a Keurig. It was too inconvenient to get the Tassimo coffee pods.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:52 AM

5,463 posts, read 8,182,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I'm all about parchment or foil on my sheet pans, not reason to scrub if it can be prevented.
I use Reynold's Non-Stick foil and it works great: https://www.reynoldskitchens.com/pro...on-stick-foil/

Old 01-25-2020, 09:54 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,871 times
Wasnt there some society where everybody burned all their household possessions every so many years? Surprised the mass merchandisers dont try to bring that tradition to modern America so they can sell even more stuff....

Guess we could all learn to eat everything raw. Just need a sharp knife and wood block if your teeth arent so good anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink