Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2014, 10:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
No one in my family has ever wore aprons....can't sat we are perfectly neat...but never a real issue....and yes, we've always cooked from scratch.

Honestly. ..it's not the 50s...we don't wear pearls for dinner and get the 'man of the house' his slippers either. Aprons out side of an industrial kitchen is a tad anachronistic if not pretentious.
can't rep you again so soon; you bring up good points, we dress differently and we are living in a different era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 12:13 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
I like the idea of an apron, but the reality! Since I wear pants, a long apron scuttles between my legs. I am a messy cook, and the bib type would be perfect....but I'm busty, and the fabric crawls and then the strap pulls at my neck so it's not comfy.... so I find them to be nightmares.

And reason a lot of chefs on tv don't wear aprons is they are wearing chef's jackets. I don't wear a chef's jacket, but I do wear "home clothes", clothes that can get stained or dirty, because they are already. (I even have a hair dye tee shirt) I tuck a fresh generous tea towel into my waistband at my hip for handwiping.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:51 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,747,090 times
I make a lot of home made meals and messy meals. My hubby is the one that does laundry in our house ( we divide household chores and he insist on this one) and for a while I would wear cooking t shirts but even these got worn out, so he is very happy that I now use aprons that cover my shirt front.

My aprons are usually black, heavy duty and I customize them to end about short length. They also have pockets that I have disposable tasting spoons in them. I do have a frilly pretty one that I purchased at Ikea but that one I use for baking one the rare occasion that I do bake since my clothes would be full of flour and this helps.

I also use my black aprons when I break down my meats like a whole sirloin or round ( meat markets have very good sales if you buy them whole) I never buy ground beef, since I prefer to grind my own and know what is in my meat and not the pink slime that is sold as ground beef.

So in my case I like aprons very much.

Old 11-30-2014, 03:08 PM

4,694 posts, read 3,475,013 times
I love aprons but I don't use them that much. I have a collection of vintage ones hanging in my kitchen.

I don't get why anyone would be so anti apron, that's just silly.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:03 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,748,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I love aprons. I don't think they look ridiculous at all...some of them are really pretty, and I especially love the vintage ones. So many of them are homemade, and I like imagining the woman who made and wore it before me. I love spending time in the kitchen - it feels peaceful and nurturing. I probably could have been happy had I been an adult in the June Cleaver era.

Putting on a apron somehow makes me feel more feminine and pretty. It also keeps my clothes from getting stained or dirty while cooking. Grabbing a towel or wiping my hands on the back of my pants while cooking just doesn't have the same appeal.
I've always had the more generic ones like you see at Jimmy John's or other fast food places. But Mom gave me a box of stuff from aunt's and now I have the cutest vintage aprons. Including one that is obviously meant to wear as you're doing last minute stuff before a cocktail party - it's organza. I think they were called hostess aprons?

Old 12-01-2014, 08:07 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Chile rellenos, too. Messy, but oh, so delicious!
AND a lot of work!!! Had a party for my son for HS graduation and I fried 80....my stove needed the power washer from the garage..what a mess...

Old 12-01-2014, 08:12 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
AND a lot of work!!! Had a party for my son for HS graduation and I fried 80....my stove needed the power washer from the garage..what a mess...
I bow to your fortitude - and leg strength! They are very labor intensive, and apron-worthy.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:12 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,032 times
Canning whole tomatoes is another kitchen disaster...don't even want to get my good apron dirty doing that!!! Old T shirt time!!

Old 12-01-2014, 08:19 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I keep my aprons on a conveniently located hook just off the kitchen - they come in awfully handy when carving a turkey (and are dressed for Thanksgiving dinner!), canning tomatoes, baking cookies or pies, or performing other messy tasks. Sometimes I wish I had one of those big aprons with sleeves I remember my grandmother wearing when she baked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Honestly. ..it's not the 50s...we don't wear pearls for dinner and get the 'man of the house' his slippers either. Aprons out side of an industrial kitchen is a tad anachronistic if not pretentious.
You ought to try pearls at dinner sometime; seems like it would do a world of good.

As for aprons being anachronistic -- I guess cooking is anachronistic, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
But aprons are not a June Cleaver affectation. That's one of the silliest assertions I've ever heard.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Including one that is obviously meant to wear as you're doing last minute stuff before a cocktail party - it's organza. I think they were called hostess aprons?
Oh, I want one!

Old 12-01-2014, 08:21 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
I do most of my cooking in po-jamas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink