Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 02:17 PM

219 posts, read 483,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I too freeze milk, cream and 1/2 & 1/2 before it starts to go bad.

I do not believe in wasting - TOO many people in the USA going without. 40% of the food in the USA gets thrown away.
When you do this, do you note the date you froze it on the container, so that between that and the sell-by / use-by date, you will know how long it's good for once it's thawed?

I worry about freezing a plastic gallon of milk - wouldn't it explode or pop the cap at least?

Also, is there any compromise in taste or texture for any of these things once thawed? The cream specifically?

Sorry if these are dumb questions. I just don't have the luxury of wasting food (or anything else) anymore. Thank you in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 02:58 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,889,568 times
I'm not sure, but I would guess too that the plastic cap would pop. Kwik-Trip, which is a gas-station-convenience store chain here in Wisconsin, sells milk in 1/2 gallon plastic bags. We used to freeze those all the time, and it worked fine, as long as you were very careful and didn't bang them against each other or something else once they were frozen, because it was really easy to put a little nick in the bag, which then leaks all over your fridge as it thaws!!

Old 10-28-2013, 03:09 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,764,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mselainey View Post
When you do this, do you note the date you froze it on the container, so that between that and the sell-by / use-by date, you will know how long it's good for once it's thawed?

I rely heavily on my sense of smell and taste when it comes to food. For example, if the cream doesn't smell and taste good before I put it in the freezer, it unfortunately heads to the garbage.

I worry about freezing a plastic gallon of milk - wouldn't it explode or pop the cap at least?

Also, is there any compromise in taste or texture for any of these things once thawed? The cream specifically?

Sorry if these are dumb questions. I just don't have the luxury of wasting food (or anything else) anymore. Thank you in advance for your help.
There is no such thing as a 'dumb' question but instead the question that was not asked because the person thought that it was dumb.

As far as the use-by date, there is somewhere a thread about this (maybe the OP or someone else could link it in this thread). Often the use by date is used by the manufacturer/store to ensure freshness or potential lawsuits. I have found that depending on the temperature of the vendor and my refrigerator items last well beyond their sell date. For example, yogurt - a couple of months. The key for many products is oxidation - being exposed to air - when chemical reactions take place and change the character of ingredients.

For milk/cream products, if completely thawed there may be a slight change in the character. Just shaking the container after it is thawed in the refrigerator makes a difference.

When you freeze items in closed containers, it is important to allow some headspace so that the container does not burst. Although I have not frozen a gallon of milk, I would remove about 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:47 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:

In our area, milk is $1.89/gal or $1.69/hgal. We buy milk in the gallons and freeze it in quart containers as we use a quart a week max.

Since we use what we thaw in a week and milk has a 21 day shelf life if kept at 35F, we never worry about spoilage.

You cannot tell the difference between the fresh and the frozen, if thawed.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:44 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Quote:
I use those semi-disposable plastic containers, mainly ziploc. I cool the food thoroughly before snapping on the lid. I recently tried using press n seal over the surface of the food and THEN putting on the lid and I'm still getting ice crystals. :-/
This is where you will see the incredible value of the Food Saver. I've had the same one for I'm sure 15 or more years and it works fine. Things can lay flat and if you get the air out you don't have crystals on your food.

BTW I have to admit I did not compose nor type up my original post. I found it on the internet somewhere but there was no one to give credit to. I thought it was too valuable to pass over.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:59 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I've been freezing more and more this year not only to save money but to save mess and clean up. I'm browing 4 lbs of ground round now for tacos, chili, etc. One batch has onions, celery, garlic and another batch has onions and peppers.

Do you freeze anything other than these?
Not too much. Your list is pretty complete. LOL.

Quote:
RICE: Cook a big batch of rice, spread it on a cookie sheet on parchment paper and freeze. When the rice is frozen, just put in a freezer bag or containers and you have rice in a pinch! Great for BROWN rice which takes so long to cook! Use in casseroles, soups or fried rice.
Rice is one of those things I won't freeze. It's too easy to make fresh rice. Just drop a cup of rice and a cup of water into the rice cooker and 20 minutes later, fresh stemmed rice. I do freeze prepared teriyaki chicken in serving size packets. Then while the rice is cooking, I just heat the teriyaki chicken. Then when the rice is done, drop the teriyaki on top, and I have a nice fresh teriyaki chicken rice bowl in 20 minutes.

Quote:
PASTA: Whenever you make pasta, cook whole package. and freeze leftovers for later to add to soups and casseroles. Or freeze individual size portions in a baggie, making sure to squeeze out the air; get the bag as flat as possible. Reheat by running hot water over bag for a few minutes!
Pasta is another thing, I don't like frozen. I do freeze the meatballs and marinara sauce in serving size containers though. Then I just boil the spaghetti, and microwave the meatballs and marinara. Drop the meatballs and sauce on top of the spaghetti, and I'm done. Fast, easy, no mess, and it all tastes fresh.

Quote:
BREAD & BAKED GOODS: When your favorite bread is on sale, stock up; freeze it. Or when in a baking mood, make extras of your favorite baked goods and freeze them for later.
I do that. I buy large bags of 36 dinner rolls. Freeze the entire bag. Then take out one or two at a time, and put them right into the toaster oven. Fresh hot rolls in 3 minutes.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:23 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,764,351 times
I had some extra tofu left so I decided to freeze it. I dried it by placing in paper towels and putting a little weight on top to encourage the removal of water. I replaced the paper towels as necessary.
Besides my typical tofu stir-fry, I am now looking for other creative ways to use one of my favorites - tofu

Old 12-24-2014, 04:13 AM

20 posts, read 18,583 times
The things which I used to freeze that is milk, cheese, meat, ice cream and many more things, which are used in daily basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink