Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 04:13 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,117,811 times

Advertisements

Meatloaf
homemade lasagna sauce
cabbage rolls
Cook soup beans until they start to get soft, then freeze. They soften up in the freezer, and only take a few minutes to cook.
Almost anything that takes a long time to cook, or is labor intensive, as is most of my favorites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 04:34 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,736,205 times
Ginger, galangal, and turmeric rhizomes. These freeze really well and are really convenient. You can easily peel the skin with a knife directly after removing from the freezer. Frozen ginger is 100x better than ginger powder and a lot better than commercial ginger pastes. With these, the difference between frozen and fresh is surprisingly small.

And also, cooked black beans, lemongrass, butter, stocks, duck fat, lard, chiles rellenos, okra, berries, paw paw and persimmon pulp, whole tomatoes and tomatillos (to make sauces with), and soups.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:42 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,739,979 times
cranberries, when in season they are cheap, out of season they are super expensive

Old 10-03-2013, 06:09 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
I usually have a casserole in there in case I don't feel like cooking.

Also, bread, vegetables for stock, tomato sauce, baked goods - I generally make two of whatever, home made pesto, stock that's been made, corn and as MJ7 said, cranberries because they are expensive out of season.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:32 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,448,074 times
I live alone and if eating a frozen dinner, add garlic powder,

One serving of white rice in baggies
Bread, mainly for when I want an egg
soup
Plenty of shrimp

Old 10-03-2013, 06:48 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Ice

Old 10-03-2013, 07:37 PM

412 posts, read 958,571 times
Soup. I make huge tankers of vegetable soup, then portion it out into individual Ziploc containers and stack it in the freezer so that I have a healthy meal to grab on a moment's notice. Veggies from the garden and big bags of cherries from my cherry trees. I also like to buy in bulk (am about to invest in half of a grass-fed cow) so I have a very large chest freezer. Also wild game meat. I am not a hunter, but my neighbors are and they are occasionally willing to share some antelope or venison.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:42 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,227,678 times
I freeze a lot. Whenever I make meatloaf, I make one for us to eat and another to freeze. Same with trays of lasagna, eggplant rollatini and stuffed cabbage.

When I make chicken noodle soup with matzo balls, I put some into individual serving containers that I can later just nuke and serve.

When I bread & fry chicken cutlets, (which isn't often), I'll make a large batch and freeze a bunch of it. That works well to make dishes like chicken parmesan later on.

I always freeze berries, watermelon, etc. We never eat a whole portion and hate for fruit to rot. Yes, they get watery when defrosted, but they're great used frozen in smoothies.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:30 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,583,252 times
One thing I actually freeze is pancakes. Cook some, any leftover goes in the freezer. Just pop them in the microwave one morning and voila

Old 10-04-2013, 02:47 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Ginger, galangal, and turmeric rhizomes. These freeze really well and are really convenient
Thanks, going to try that... The wife and I just made some yellow curry for the first time, but we used ginger powder, yellow curry powder and coconut milk.... Still tasted great, but I'll do it properly next time and use some of the missing ingredients.... and freeze some of the stuff for later use

I like to make pesto from scratch and freeze what I don't use... it tastes amazing on so many dishes, including pizza and pasta... and chicken...

but the best use for it is on top of a grilled cheese sandwich!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink