Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 01:39 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
How long do those 20 different fresh veggies last you? I'm intrigued! Give me an idea of what you buy.
Well, it's just me here, and since I live far from a grocery store, usually stretch fruit and veggies to last several weeks. Now I must admit occasionally have a bit of waste but still like having a huge choice...always use the most
fragile/quickest to age first ie mushrooms and leave veggies and fruit to the end that tend to tolerate lengthy storage ie carrots.

Today I bought...cabbage, carrots, onions, green onions, sweet potatoes, broccoli, okra, zucchini, mushrooms, bok choy, red peppers, orange peppers, asparagus, rutabaga, celery, tomatoes, apples, grapefruit, lemons,
blueberries and a pkg of mixed greens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 01:41 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,642,353 times
I don't label myself, but I prefer making food from scratch rather than processed or boxed food. I am a three-time breast cancer survivor and I try to eat as healthy as I can and my husband benefits as well.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:55 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,193,983 times
looks to me like some folk confuse "food snobbery" with preferences based in "healthy" eating.

For us scratch cooks, it gives us more control of our dietary intake. As well, with some food allergies or ingredient sensitivities, it's the best way to manage our diets.

There's a lot of "stuff" in pre-pack and convenience foods ... preservatives, MSG, high sodium, colorings, soy, carbs, HFCS, chemicals for processing ease, etc. ... which I don't want in my diet.

Got a laugh the other day from my cardiologist ... she was "shocked" that I would consume pork breakfast sausage because of all the nitrates/nitrites in it. Sorry, but I grind my pork sausage fresh from our home raised pork, add my own blend of spices ... and cook it, fresh. The excess sausage in each batch gets packed in freezer baggies and frozen. She was astounded that anybody could or would go to such work to make patty sausage, but I assured her that it's very easy with a small grinder ... and clean-up is very easy, too. Same thing for our "bacon" ... a brief brining and then smoking of pork side is easy to do. We can put up 20 lbs and freeze 1 lb packages for future use. I helped a neighbor the other day put up their pork sausage ... we stuffed 1 lb "sacks" that they made from cotton fabric remnants. The bags were easy to steam, smoke, and then store in the fridge. They've got a large extended family so all the sausage made that day was consumed fresh in the respective households. I got 3 lbs of the finished product for my "effort" to crank the handle on the big sausage stuffer.

Last edited by sunsprit; 02-09-2018 at 02:07 PM..

Old 02-09-2018, 01:56 PM

5,868 posts, read 11,930,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Well, it's just me here, and since I live far from a grocery store, usually stretch fruit and veggies to last several weeks. Now I must admit occasionally have a bit of waste but still like having a huge choice...always use the most
fragile/quickest to age first ie mushrooms and leave veggies and fruit to the end that tend to tolerate lengthy storage ie carrots.

Today I bought...cabbage, carrots, onions, green onions, sweet potatoes, broccoli, okra, zucchini, mushrooms, bok choy, red peppers, orange peppers, asparagus, rutabaga, celery, tomatoes, apples, grapefruit, lemons,
blueberries and a pkg of mixed greens.
You know, that's not too far off from a big trip to the store for us...I just never counted them before. Fortunately we have 3 or 4 grocery stores and a weekend farmer's market within 5 miles so I don't stock up on a lot all at once unless I'm out of everything. I should plan my usage better - I had a whole package of mushrooms go south on me last week.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
DirtGrinder's post on boxed scalloped potatoes got me to thinking about this. I'm a food snob and I'm not proud of it. Sometimes it's to my detriment. Like the year I decided to make my Thanksgiving green bean casserole from scratch - fresh green beans, homemade cream of mushroom soup and some little fried shallots for the top. It's not like I didn't have enough to do already (I was cooking the whole meal). Would it have killed me to use a bag of frozen beans, a can of Campbell's soup and some French's onion rings? My husband is the only one who likes it anyway and I'm not sure he would have cared.

I don't know how I got here other than the fact that I love to cook and we started eliminating all processed foods several years back. My husband has survived cancer twice and it just seemed to be the prudent thing to do. I found that I really liked making things from scratch and I prefer the taste (mostly).

And just for the record - I don't judge anyone else for not doing what I do (or liking boxed scalloped potatoes, lol). Someone mentioned food snobbery as a pet peeve on the other thread - so I thought I'd ask what constitutes a food snob and do you consider yourself one?
I am not sure what you are calling a food snob is the same as I would call it. I too love to cook so I usually cook everything from scratch, but not to the extreme you do. Even then, I guess I do consider myself some what of a food snob as I like really quality food. I would never hurt someone's feelings by not eating their less than quality meal. I am amazed when someone doesn't use spices for instance or when people are not willing to try new recipes or new flavors.

My husband also has survived a few cancers, but I am not convinced this has anything to do with our eatin habits.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:38 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,715,742 times
I guess I'm a food snob in that like many others who have posted, I like to cook from scratch and use fresh ingredients at home. Like others, I never use fake dairy and try to stay away from buying processed food at the grocery store. But I'll swing by Whataburger (regional chain) or even Taco Bell if I'm in hungry and in a hurry. And I'd never turn my nose up at anything a host or hostess served me or bought for me.

To me, a food snob is someone who brags about what they cook and eat and is condescending when discussing their choices in relation to other peoples' choices. I have a friend who used to humble brag about buying Maytag blue cheese and always managed to say how much it cost. But I feel certain she could not have said why it was expensive, or picked it out of cheese lineup. OTOH, she was amazed and appropriately impressed once when she was admiring a homemade cooking and the woman who made it told her it was good because it had Crisco in it.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:55 PM

5,868 posts, read 11,930,600 times
I love that so many people on here love to cook from scratch! I was thinking it was a dying art. Our grandparents didn't have the convenience of the foods like they do today so that was all they knew. My grandmother was an amazing cook.

I will say that even though I would never say anything out loud, I am a little appalled at the fact that my son and his wife serve the grandkids those pre-packaged PB&J sandwiches (at home, on the weekend). I think it bothers me more to think about how much those things cost compared to a freshly made one but then that's the frugal coming out in me!

Old 02-10-2018, 02:47 AM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
I love that so many people on here love to cook from scratch! I was thinking it was a dying art. Our grandparents didn't have the convenience of the foods like they do today so that was all they knew. My grandmother was an amazing cook.

I will say that even though I would never say anything out loud, I am a little appalled at the fact that my son and his wife serve the grandkids those pre-packaged PB&J sandwiches (at home, on the weekend). I think it bothers me more to think about how much those things cost compared to a freshly made one but then that's the frugal coming out in me!
Packaged peanut butter and jelly? That is so wrong.

It's not your fault. I'm sure you tried. I'm sure that by the time he left your house that he knew how to smear peanut butter and jelly on bread.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:51 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,421,074 times
My husband is one. He has never bought purchased cookies or cakes, for example, and that has rubbed off on our kids. Our one son is always asking for ideas for things to take to parties. I say, you don't cook, just pick up a platter of something at the grocery store. But he won't because that's not what he's used to. My BIL is one of those who has to talk about how much the meat cost that was served at some dinner. I'm not a meat person so that means nothing to me and it really turns me off. Maybe it's a Texas thing.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:26 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Nah. I love really good foods, and am a fairly adventurous eater, but I also make (and enjoy) a mean tater tot casserole, and enjoy Velveeta shells and cheese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink