Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 10:32 AM

534 posts, read 488,934 times

Advertisements

I'm not a snob, I will eat anything that is offered to me in the spirit of sharing. Although I don't necessarily identify as such, I guess I'm a foodie. In fact I just joined a foodie meetup group that goes out to eat once a month. It's just very important to me that I have the best of the best (within my limitations) when it comes to my own culinary creations. I belong to a year-round CSA so I get excellent farm fresh vegetables. I buy shares in pastured and grass fed meats, I drive to another city to get raw milk because it's illegal in my own.

But my partner...very different story. For example, he adores tuna fish hot dish (casserole?). It's made with Campbells cream of mushroom soups and some other stuff. I forget. Anyway, one day, I decided to make it from scratch, with sautéed mushrooms and a little wine and a roux. I don't like tuna fish hot dish, and I thought this was pretty good. So I served it to him, all excited about his reaction, and he tasted it, and just kind of said, "This has a different flavor." He ate it, but it was not the happiness I see when I serve him the kind made out of canned stuff (which is not often). And I could make the most gourmet stuffing and incredible mashed potatoes, but if I want to see tears of love for me...all I have to do is make instant mashed potatoes and StoveTop stuffing. If he goes grocery shopping for himself, he gets Totino Party Pizzas and Hot Pockets.

The familial childhood thing, I think. I grew up making stuff from scratch, because that's just what one did, that's how one got food! He grew up with every meal made from convenience foods. It's just how we were imprinted. It's made me very non judgmental about other people's food choices, including my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 12:36 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,865,579 times
Food snob? If it's remotely dead and cooked I'll eat it.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:39 PM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I’m grateful for whatever someone cooks for me, good or bad, but I know quality food. I’m not sure if I’m a food snob exactly, because sometimes I choose certain foods which are not high quality. A few examples are Sloppy Joe’s from a can and cheap buns, or a can of Chef Boyardi ravioli.
This being said, if i go to a resteraunt, they had better know how to make the basics.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:50 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,301,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I grew up very meat and potatoes. I loved my mom's cooking, as most people like their mom's cooking. However I'm starting to notice that as I become more of a foodie, I feel like I'm turning into a snob.

Mrs. Chow and I are always trying new recipes and experimenting with various ethnic foods.

That being said it seems like most of the people in our families are very vanilla in their cooking and/or eating fast food too much.

One day we were at Mrs. Chow's mother house and she said something about just having a can of "Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup" I cringed at her comments. I can't stand that stuff. It's strange that she would eat that as when she does make soup she makes her own stock.

Anyway, are there other burgeoning food snobs out there??
Sometimes nothing satisfies like crap food-even when, and for the most part, you have quality homemade.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:03 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,127,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I grew up very meat and potatoes. I loved my mom's cooking, as most people like their mom's cooking. However I'm starting to notice that as I become more of a foodie, I feel like I'm turning into a snob.

Mrs. Chow and I are always trying new recipes and experimenting with various ethnic foods.

That being said it seems like most of the people in our families are very vanilla in their cooking and/or eating fast food too much.

One day we were at Mrs. Chow's mother house and she said something about just having a can of "Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup" I cringed at her comments. I can't stand that stuff. It's strange that she would eat that as when she does make soup she makes her own stock.

Anyway, are there other burgeoning food snobs out there??
Well no. I've been to wine tastings and have heard the most pretentious snobs, it's enough to put you off food/wine snobbery for good!

I enjoy eating at upscale restaurants, but am happy as a clam at home with a sandwich and iced tea. Campbell's tomato soup is a favorite from childhood, just because I can make a homemade version that takes two hours is no reason to adandon an old favorite.

Being a foodie doesn't make you a snob, unless that's what you want to be.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:14 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
I'm not a food snob. I don't care that much for cooking but I do make almost everything from scratch because of food allergies and just because packaged food usually has so much chemical junk in it.

I usually use frozen vegetables--except for things that you can store in the fridge like carrots, potatoes, butternut squash, etc.

I eat frozen stuff like pizza, frozen burritos, frozen chicken pot pies. Of course there's bread, cereal and lots of other things that I don't make from scratch.

I do enjoy using my mother's old recipes every so often and that's about the only time I really do enjoy cooking anything. Her banana bread, her brownies, her pot roast.

I don't go to fast food places but that's out of health concerns mostly. I eat hot dogs but I make sure I get the ones without the nitrites. Since I can't afford fancy restaurants, there's no other choice but to cook.

A food snob would probably be someone who thinks they are superior because of what they eat. They can look down on a vegetarian, an omnivore, a processed food eater, anyone. A food snob thinks they are better than you.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:46 AM

543 posts, read 702,641 times
We have a neighbor who invites us to dinner at least once a week so I shouldn't complain, however they are the biggest food snobs ever. Everything is a competition with the last meal. She swears by the Julia Childs "bible" and cooks all day every day. Even desserts. Their freezer is empty, god forbid you eat a frozen piece of meat and everything comes from high end markets daily. He'll pick like five year old at his plate if it isn't hot enough or perfect and she gets all upset. He considers himself a "super taster". It's truly disgusting. I consider myself a pretty good cook but will never have them over for a meal in fear of it not being good enough.

Old 02-11-2018, 02:41 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,313 times
yes- we grew up moving around/ traveling a lot so we were exposed to a lot of different foods and cuisines so this contributes to this (my dad though adventurous eater still clung to a lot of down home Mid Western favorites- like beets on his sandwhiches, cheese on his apple pie, etc, he was a country boy)...
We don't really do plain foods- if I do a mac n cheese I have to add pesto, better cheese, broccoli, and some boneless chicken for ex, my SO loves just a cup of ramen soup at night for a midnight snack (me I have to add a squirt of siracha and some chopped green veggie or herb, a protein if I have it)....

not so much a food snob, as well, I love to eat, and why waste calories on mediocre food when you can improve it, step it up a notch?

Old 02-11-2018, 02:43 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,644,169 times
I am not a food snob. But I do live the ketogenic eating lifestyle so I do not eat certain foods.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:28 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
I like to cook, but I don't make everything from scratch. I had somebody tell me once that the soup I made wasn't really homemade because I didn't make my own stock. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink