Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 08:40 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,249,847 times

Advertisements

I agree with you on this, Peach. We had some friends (former, lol) where both the husband and the wife bragged on her cooking... I ate at their home a few times and erm, it wasn't all that. Sure, she can combine things from a box and her home cooking didn't turn me off, but it didn't send me screaming into the streets in rapture either... it was just.. food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 09:02 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
Some people here in this thread appear to be food snobs. Kind of rude.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:48 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Depends on what you mean by "brag and boast". Could you explain what you mean by that?
Have you been around people who go on and on about their "fantastic pasta sauces" or their "to die for" pies or ??? People like this use every opportunity to "toot their own horn" and "beat their own drum." ....They hand friends and family members "unsollicited advice" about "where to shop" and "what to buy" and which restaurants are the "very best" etc....They are self-proclaimed "experts" about everything...even cooking....They "butt-in" and brag and boast about "the best way to do things" according to their so-called expertise....Have you ever been around people like this?

Old 06-20-2010, 10:54 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Just curious...How would you define a "food snob?" I don't want to be a "food snob" or any kind of a "snob."

Old 06-20-2010, 10:58 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
I'm a bit of a coffee snob, I must admit. Guilty.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:25 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
Thanks for not misunderstanding me here...!
When I wrote "food snobs" I was hesitant....I wrote it because of the posts that are saying that it's less-than-"cooking" if you use things "out of a box" and such. <<NO IT'S NOT. That's absolutely ridiculous.
Anyone that feels that way must be some kind of "food snob", putting down the cooking that is done by regular folks in their homes across the land.
I think my point is clear without further explanation of how dumb the whole issue is.
Hmmm, no icon that gives the "Duhhh" effect.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:43 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,724,762 times
I don't mind anyone bragging about their cooking as long as they feed me and their cooking is as good as their talk.

What annoys me (I have a friend who does this) is someone who feeds you something, then won't tell you what's in it (secret recipe). He's a pretty good cook, but it's not all that!

Old 06-20-2010, 11:46 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
My personal opinion is if a person prepares good food and has a good reason to feel great about it then go for it and brag or whatever you care to call it! I throughly respect anyone who enjoys cooking and who cooks well. Cooking has never been something I really enjoy all that much--I do it mostly out of necessity but I do enjoy good food. Often with the good food prepared by a good cook who actually enjoys cooking for others I think it's the "love" that makes it so tasty! So go ahead you great cooks--BRAG!! Doesn't bother me one bit! You deserve it!

Old 06-20-2010, 11:52 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
Quote:
Thanks for not misunderstanding me here...!
When I wrote "food snobs" I was hesitant....I wrote it because of the posts that are saying that it's less-than-"cooking" if you use things "out of a box" and such. <<NO IT'S NOT. That's absolutely ridiculous.
Anyone that feels that way must be some kind of "food snob", putting down the cooking that is done by regular folks in their homes across the land.
I think my point is clear without further explanation of how dumb the whole issue is.
Hmmm, no icon that gives the "Duhhh" effect.
Had to laugh here--box food, drive through whatever--if I like it I don't really care what anyone else thinks--ha! I've spent way to many years (feels like forever) feeding my family healthy good meals and now they are all grown and on their own so I am to the point that easy is good!

Old 06-20-2010, 01:03 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,269 times
This is just my opinion, so if others don't agree that is perfectly fine with me - if one spends quite a long time/effort preparing something (and it obviously turns out delicious if one has skills/time/good ingredients), people will compliment the cook and appreciate his/her effort much more than the pre-mix-5 minute-thing.

I think that is quite fair, and again, I don't think mixing ingredients (if so, sometimes just heating them) should be called "cooking". Just a thought.

With the variety one finds at a grocery store today, one only cooks from scratch if one really wants too. Otherwise, why bother, why the effort, if everything can be just heated in a microwave in a few minutes?! Because there is a difference in taste, in health, and in pricing. But to each his own, that is ok with me!

And the interesting point here is that it does not have to be anything "chic/fancy": even a simple bowl of chicken soup or a homemade apple pie will deserve all compliments and be some of the best dishes ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink