Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 08:37 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,850,284 times

Advertisements

Where?? I like Chili's !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 12:47 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Chili, Salad and Chips with Salsa for $6.99 make Chili's a very attractive place for a good hearty lunch.

I am less worried whether a restaurant is independent or a chain as whether it provised good food at a reasonable price.
I guess from what I remember the "food" is not "good"

Old 06-07-2009, 10:08 AM

1,383 posts, read 3,434,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
In small towns and suburbs the world over, everybody raves about Chili's. It is a popular social/hangout spot among other things, and you'll usually wait an hour or more to get in if it's a weekend night. However, I don't see what all the fuss is about. As a bar/hangout there are better options and the food is virtually identical to places like Applebees, Friday's, Bennigan's, etc which is really just pre-packaged food as you would find at KFC, McDonalds, Taco Bell, etc. Why not just go to McDonalds and get the same burger for $1 instead of $10? In addition, its my opinion that Chili's is a poster child for the homogenization that has overtaken every aspect of American life. Is there something I am not seeing? If I had to grade Chili's it would get a solid F. From an objective standpoint, the food is not horrible but it is still FAST FOOD and should be priced like it.
We use to really like Chili's....but not so much anymore. There everywhere now and we have had it a lot. Now, we would prefer other chains like Friday's or Olive Garden over Chili's. But we still go to Chili's sometimes...we love their queso!

Old 06-07-2009, 10:13 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Say what you want about Chili's but they were culinary innovators once upon a time. For better or worse they helped to define current national culinary trends and tastes. If it seems like they're just like every other casual sit-down restaurant chain out there, it's because several of them have copied Chili's formula.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:17 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
True..At least a beer can't be screwed up, lol.
Oh, there are a number of breweries that know how to screw up beer pretty bad. Including (especially) the three majors.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:06 AM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
I guess from what I remember the "food" is not "good"
Maybe you should try it.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:38 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,030,489 times
I use to like Chilis but not so much anymore, I never really liked TGIF or Applebes though, Im starting to find little local places to eat at instead of a chain all the time, Im starting to discover some new tasty foods.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:40 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,790,174 times
Just my 2 cents, some of my thoughts about Chili's...

...I don't know anyone who raves about it; most look at it as the cookie-cutter chain that it is, even those who do like it (like me).

...It IS part of the homogenization of the nation. In every "shopping center" area in the nation you can count on finding a Chili's, along with the hundreds of other usuals (Barnes & Noble, BB&B, Old Navy, Home Depot, etc. etc.)

...It's a chain; that's good and bad. Bad because food is not super creative or special, and because eating in a Chili's in, say, Denver is no different from eating in a Chili's in New Jersey. The good is that for people who travel they know what to expect at a Chili's anywhere, in terms of price, menu, service, etc. As a business traveler, after some stressful days while on the road, I appreciated not having to search out a good new place to eat and being able to just go to a Chili's and eat a good meal with no surprises or let-downs.

...People love to show how gastronomically aloof they are by saying things about Chili's (Applebee's, etc.) like "Oh, the food is horrible, the food is awful, I would never eat there," etc. Well, I don't agree. The food is NOT horrible. It's OK. Some of it is very good, some of it is not. Much of Chili's food is overloaded with salt (as are most chains and fast-food restaurants), but I used to take my dad there and he'd get a burger with no salt and fries with no salt, and they easily accomodated. Also, I think their chili is AWESOME, and I go there for the chili. I also think their boneless wings are very good and flavorful (although a bit too salty). I've had a lot of things there and much of it is good. Not great, but tasty and different enough from what I'd cook for myself.

...Of all the chains, I think Chili's is the cheapest, overall. So, I think it's the best value. I think this is a big reason for their popularity.

...The decor is decent, it's the same Texas/Southwestern decor in every location. It's comfortable enough and I think it serves well as a place for meeting with co-workers or whatever.

Overall - it is what it is. I don't see why people get so upset over it or how anyone can say the food is "horrible", because it's not. I think the people who do that just do it because they're snobs. It's not great, but it's certainly not "horrible". It's easy, consistent, inexpensive, decent, and the menu has enough variety to please everyone in just about any group.

Last edited by BergenCountyJohnny; 06-09-2009 at 02:05 PM..

Old 06-09-2009, 09:34 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,901,000 times
Chili's is actually my fav chain restaurant. Love the texas fries, love the quesadillas, love th chicken nachos, love the burgers, love the fajitas and my wife loves the chipotle chicken

Old 06-10-2009, 07:54 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,712,887 times
I LOOOVE their chili. I emailed their corporate office a few years back and got a basic recipe for it. Yum! And I love their boneless wings, eggrolls, fries, Chicken crispers and Molten chocolate cake (although I don't usually make it to dessert anyway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink