Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 07:35 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,949,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
London Broil is not really a cut, but mean butchers like to pretend it is.

London Broil
I thought it was something like that but I wasn't sure! Thanks for the site, it is very interesting and informational!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Kimba - If you have a pressure cooker, use that!
I don't have one, but they also sound interesting. I have never used one. Gotta put it on my "to-get list"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Kimba-grilling is great.
I marinated it and had it set to grill, but the griller had to bow out to go watch the Red Wings hopefully win tonight! So, I broiled it. I am not a fan of rare meat, but I did make it rare, the kids loved it, mine went back in for a bit longer and it was a bit tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballgal View Post
I buy a lot of London broil, because I frequently find it on sale.At $1.95 a pound, I can't pass it up. I usually have the butcher grind it up for hamburger and I chunk up some for stew meat.
It is extremely lean and works well for those 2 applications, but because it is so lean, you have to really work it, if using it whole.

I will stick it in a freezer bag with a marinade of soy sauce, oj, ginger, garlic and a few dashes of of olive oil and let it marinade over night. Brown off both sides in a hot cast iron skillet, then in the oven on a low 275' until
it reaches desired doneness.

If I am making fried rice, I will slice the beef thin, pound it out, and put it in the same marinade for 30 min. and fry quickly for teriyaki strips.

I will be interested to see if anyone else has ideas. It is a tricky piece of meat to work with, because it turns into shoe leather in an instant.

Edit to add. I just saw the article Debsi posted and it reminded me that the proper angle of slicing is very important. Against the grain at a 45 degree angle and thin.

And it's true, all the grocery stores call it London broil, when it is top round. I don't really care. I just look for a nice lean piece and a great price. It is an amazing bargain for lean protein and the frugal minded like me.....love it.
Thanks for the ideas! I may just have to try a few next time!

Old 06-09-2009, 08:21 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,295,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise in Fla View Post
Kats-what are mayonaise rolls?
Simple "rolls" -

1 cup self rising flour
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 Tablespoon Mayo
1/2 cup milk

Sift flour. Add other ingredients. Pour into 6 greased muffin tins. Bake at 400 for about 10 minutes or until light brown.
I prefer this recipe if I have buttermilk in the fridge.

1 cup self rising flour
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 Tablespoons Mayo

Combine all ingredients - blending well with spoon by hand. Fill well greased muffin tins half way. Bake at 425 until light brown. About 10 minutes or so.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:36 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,453,468 times
Dinner tonight was take-out from Clancy's.... a nice sized piece of baked encrusted haddock topped with lobster sauce, mashed potatoes, broccoli, salad with homemade ranch dressing and iced tea. Very full and satisfied!

Never got off to NY today with all the nasty rain. I am headed out first thing in the morning... dogs are already at the kennel!

Have a good evening one and all....

Old 06-09-2009, 08:42 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,338,401 times
Boy, you lot really wanted to make Cyn feel at home at her new table - fourteen pages already, ten just since I checked this morning! Love the chat going on here, to say nothing of the recipes. I saw several that I'm going to have to try.

Lacey, I am so very glad to hear about Mr. L's good news, even if he was a bit gassy afterward! Wow, it's pretty unusual for Crohn's to go into remission like that; I still wonder if the diagnosis is entirely correct. But if he's healthy and symptom-free now, it doesn't much matter what it was that he had - only that whatever it was stays gone. And that's what I'm hoping for both of you.

Our weekly dinner guests had requested Szechuan cooking tonight, so the spouse made hot garlic shrimp with rice, spring rolls with sweet-spicy sauce, and a tofu & spinach soup that is one of our favorites. It was all delicious, of course, and we had a good time chatting and laughing with the youngsters.

Dishes await, and tomorrow will be another long day of ledger work, so I'll bid you all good night. See you at Cyn's table tomorrow!

Old 06-09-2009, 09:16 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,946,624 times
We didn't do anything with the ground beef tonight - we'll have sloppy joes or gorgonzola burgers with it tomorrow. We just couldn't decide at dinnertime so we had a hodge podge of stuff: the rest of the black bean soup, pork and ginger potstickers (from the freezer), steamed and buttered corn, and fruit salad.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:31 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,949,980 times
MBW~I really need to be a guest at your table, sounds wonderful! Especially that spouse cooked it!! I can only dream!

Old 06-09-2009, 09:50 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,194,030 times
cyn I got so tickled reading you weren't really a foodie when you started this thread. Look how many came to the table and still come I love this thread and even learned quite a bit from it even though I had to start learning to cook and bake at a very young age on this farm.

AKgirl Aw shucks we try to be welcoming around cyn's table she started this little table gathering.

Mook thanks for that recipe.

NMS hope things go well for DH and you tomorrow. Happy Anniversary too lady to you both.

Debsi that is another great thing about this thread no calories eh?

YLisa the crock pot is your friend in the summer. Salads are a plenty too wait until you start getting fresh veggies poor DH will be at a loss why you will be in heaven eating those fresh veggies.

CW you ain't trickin' me that is Minnie Mouse's fridge you're looking into.

Lacey glad DH got good news. Now what is the oyster cut on top round please?

carlita my kids prefer that sawdust Kraft stuff too.

MWBW I hope your weekly dinner guests know how lucky they are I am glad you guys are able to do that for them.

kimba maybe you can sweet talk your DH into cooking for ya next time you go out there?

Coastal safe travels we'll be here when you get back.

HG I like the hodge podge you ate sounds great to me!

We worked outside way past dark today so we did grab & go from the fridge also, love it when all the leftovers are cleaned out in there. But that means I have to cook tomorrow now since it looks mighty bare in the fridge tonight.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:41 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,295,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Dinner tonight was take-out from Clancy's.... a nice sized piece of baked encrusted haddock topped with lobster sauce, mashed potatoes, broccoli, salad with homemade ranch dressing and iced tea. Very full and satisfied!
**************sigh*************

Old 06-10-2009, 03:26 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
Morning all-up early but slept like a log and Mr. L's still zzzz'g.

Coastal-safe trip.

Jax-hard to explain but oyster cut is thicker and "curved a little."

George-when should we expect the bus-I need a road trip.

Kats those recipes sound like even I could bake those rolls.

MWBW-not sure of all but will know even more Monday. Just glad.

Not sure yet-maybe that white clam sauce I didn't make last evening.

Happy day all be back later.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:14 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,627,821 times
Confused and clueless....Going shopping. Might find a sale on something that sounds good. Maybe another BLT+ salad. Hard to beat in this heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink