Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these American "regional" foods have you tried at least once in your lifetime?
New England Boiled Dinner (New England) 51 41.80%
Johnny Cakes (New England) 30 24.59%
Clam Chowder (New England) 89 72.95%
Apple Cider (New England) 97 79.51%
Fluffernutter (New England) 40 32.79%
Italian Beef (Chicago) 31 25.41%
Deep Dish Pizza (Chicago) 86 70.49%
Cincinatti chilli 27 22.13%
St. Paul Sandwich (St. Louis) 5 4.10%
Walleye (Minnesota) 31 25.41%
Cheese Curds (Wisconsin) 44 36.07%
New York - style pizza (NYC) 90 73.77%
Pastrami on rye (NYC) 69 56.56%
Philly cheesesteak (Philadelphia) 80 65.57%
Scrapple (Pennsylvania) 26 21.31%
Burrito (Southwestern) 98 80.33%
Salt water taffy (New Jersey) 83 68.03%
Chile relleno (Southwestern) 66 54.10%
Grits (Southern) 84 68.85%
Gumbo (Louisiana) 74 60.66%
Collard greens (Southern) 61 50.00%
Jambalaya (Lousiana?) 79 64.75%
Hush Puppies (Southern) 84 68.85%
Chit'lins (Southern) 18 14.75%
Black eye peas (Southern) 73 59.84%
Boudin (Louisiana) 25 20.49%
Muffuletta (Louisiana) 36 29.51%
Country Fried Steak (Southern) 90 73.77%
Succotash (Southern) 51 41.80%
Chili (Southwestern) 104 85.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 03:32 PM

607 posts, read 1,393,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Where I'm originally from -- Montreal -- the thing to have is poutine. It's french fries, with bits of cheese, smothered in gravy. It sounds grotesque and looks grotesque -- and I hate the cheese that is traditionally used -- but everyone else loves it. I actually do like it... I just have to take out the bits of cheese.
Wow, that actually sounds pretty good! Would hate to see how many calories are in that thing though, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Isn't that called Cincinnati Chili?

Love it.

Salt and Pepper Dungeness crab

Joe's Special

Boudin San Francisco sourdough bread

Mission burrito

See's Candy
Yep, Cincinnati Chilli is the name. And yes, it is good. Wow, I'm already learning so many new foods! I'll have to research your whole list because I haven't heard of any of these things. But that's good. I love learning about new foods that are specific to certain regions of the country.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
This is tough because I don't know what it is you don't know.

Here in Oklahoma we have something that I'd never heard of until I moved here, and I just moved from Texas so it's not like I came from across the country. It's an onion burger. When I first heard of it, it was not at all appealing. Then I tried one. They are wonderful. They take an onion and slice it very thinly. Then they place them on a hot griddle in a pile and began cooking them. Then they take a ball of hamburger meat, put it on top of the onions and smash the meat out into a patty. The onions caramelize while the burger cooks and they flavor the meat. They are wonderful and much better than just a burger with sauteed onions. There are onion burger places all around town. Apparently they started out during the depression as a way to make the meat go further.

As a kid we had moon pies. I think those are pretty much a southern thing. I'm not sure if they even make them anymore.

Growing up and even as an adult in Texas there were all kinds of things we ate that people we met from other parts of the country had never heard of before. Much of it was various Mexican dishes. Now with our much larger Hispanic population throughout the country, I suspect most people have heard of them. For instance, breakfast burritos. These are a staple with our family. But even 10 years ago, my own father in law, who'd lived in Texas his whole life had never heard of them. I'd rather have some sort of Mexican breakfast such as migas than anything else.

I remember as a teenager, being in New York in 1976, and asking for a Dr. Pepper. They looked at me like I was from Mars. I didn't realize the whole country didn't have it. Now it's everywhere.

What I wish we could get here that we can't is Utz chips.
Hey, no problem. Just throw it out there. What I may have heard of, maybe somebody else hasn't. I created this thread in the hopes that ALL of us can learn some new foods, not just me.

Very interesting about the Onion burger and it's history. I'm loving this thread already, lol. I'm learning so much. This is awesome! In regards to the moon pies, I have had them before. They are still out there and they do sell them here in the midwest. I'm not a huge fan of them.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:47 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
Red and green chile. Not to be confused with chilli.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:49 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Here in NY we refer to poutine as disco fries. Same concept except it's french fries with melted mozzarella and you dip the fires in brown gravy.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:58 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Here in NY we refer to poutine as disco fries. Same concept except it's french fries with melted mozzarella and you dip the fires in brown gravy.
I'd love it if real poutine was made with mozzarella! But, alas... the Quebecoise had other plans. As for dipping into gravy, it's so much easier when the whole mess is already swimming in it.

Here's a picture:

By the way, I like the name "disco fries" WAY better than "poutine."

Old 08-15-2012, 06:25 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Well, there's always goetta (Cincinnati) or scrapple (eastern Pennsylvania). They're pretty much the same thing -- grain and pork scraps -- except goetta is made with pinhead oats, and scrapple with corn meal.

I don't like either one.

In Cincinnati, you can order omelets with goetta or Cincinnati chili. The chili omelets are divine.

An especialite of my hometown of Erie, Pa., is pepperoni balls. Sooooo yummy!

Old 08-15-2012, 06:56 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
It's an onion burger. When I first heard of it, it was not at all appealing. Then I tried one. They are wonderful. They take an onion and slice it very thinly. Then they place them on a hot griddle in a pile and began cooking them. Then they take a ball of hamburger meat, put it on top of the onions and smash the meat out into a patty. The onions caramelize while the burger cooks and they flavor the meat. They are wonderful and much better than just a burger with sauteed onions. There are onion burger places all around town. Apparently they started out during the depression as a way to make the meat go further.
That's the way classic New Jersey sliders are made... like those at White Manna in Hackensack, New Jersey White Manna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And of course White Castle made that style popular throughout the midwest as the first real hamburger chain: What You Crave | White Castle

But the only place I've heard them referred to as onion burgers is Oklahoma. Everywhere else they are called "sliders" because of the way you have to sliiiiide them off a spatula to keep the onions in place.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:59 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Around Buffalo, NY, a regional specialty is called "Beef on Weck."

It's a sliced beef sandwich on a salty kummelweck roll. Very tasty. I've never seen it anywhere else.

History of Beef on Weck Sandwich, Beef on Wick Sandwich History

Old 08-15-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Well, there's always goetta (Cincinnati) or scrapple (eastern Pennsylvania). They're pretty much the same thing -- grain and pork scraps -- except goetta is made with pinhead oats, and scrapple with corn meal.

I don't like either one.

In Cincinnati, you can order omelets with goetta or Cincinnati chili. The chili omelets are divine.

An especialite of my hometown of Erie, Pa., is pepperoni balls. Sooooo yummy!
You know, I always thought goetta was a Cincinnati thing, but obviously it's not. I don't get what all the fuss is about it, especially here in Cincy. I've had it before and it's fine, but it's nothing special. I mean, it's not like I ever crave it or anything and if I ever eat out for breakfast, it never even crosses my mind to order it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink