Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 03:49 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,078,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
bottom line: Parkland=the USA with a strong NY jewish influence. Weston=South America.
Not true ... I lived in Weston for several years and get down there often ... 50% of the population is still white non hispanic and heavily Jewish ... the other half for the most part .. affluent South Americans .. I live in Parkland now and although I like it ... I miss Weston .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 06:16 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,473,973 times
JSnFla and Rock Newman- you are both half right half wrong. Weston has a much stronger Spanish influence than Parkland. But both have large Jewish populations and both are affluent.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
JSnFla and Rock Newman- you are both half right half wrong. Weston has a much stronger Spanish influence than Parkland. But both have large Jewish populations and both are affluent.

Yes Weston has a larger Hispanic population than Parkland ... not sure what you mean by influence though ... the Mayor is non-Hispanic Jewish and so are many of the city commissioners ... the Police Chief and most city government are white Non - Hispanic .. I think we all agree that Weston has a large Hispanic populace .. no doubt and most are educated , professional and relatively well to do ... it is not Hialeah that is for sure ... if you are implying that I am half wrong because of my definition of the word caucasian ... then you are wrong .. period ... as a caucasian can be Hispanic since the latter is not a race but an ethnicity . Anyhow back to the OP both are beautiful safe cities and you cannot lose in either ... many people like Parkland better because of its more rural feel I agree with you there .. but I have to be honest we have not made the friends here in five years thatI we had in Weston ... people here are not as friendly and yes many are white and Jewish from NYC
( my hometown ) or Jersey ... the Hispanics in Weston that some seem to fear on this forum were much friendlier than our white neighbors .

Old 11-06-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Yes Weston has a larger Hispanic population than Parkland ... not sure what you mean by influence though ... the Mayor is non-Hispanic Jewish and so are many of the city commissioners ... the Police Chief and most city government are white Non - Hispanic .. I think we all agree that Weston has a large Hispanic populace .. no doubt and most are educated , professional and relatively well to do ... it is not Hialeah that is for sure ... if you are implying that I am half wrong because of my definition of the word caucasian ... then you are wrong .. period ... as a caucasian can be Hispanic since the latter is not a race but an ethnicity . Anyhow back to the OP both are beautiful safe cities and you cannot lose in either ... many people like Parkland better because of its more rural feel I agree with you there .. but I have to be honest we have not made the friends here in five years thatI we had in Weston ... people here are not as friendly and yes many are white and Jewish from NYC
( my hometown ) or Jersey ... the Hispanics in Weston that some seem to fear on this forum were much friendlier than our white neighbors .
By Spanish influence I meant the overall number of people living in Weston who speak Spanish or are of Spanish racial, cultural, or ethnic origin. We have had this argument before. Apparently you cannot see the difference between someone who falls into that category and someone who is a white person with no Spanish background.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
By Spanish influence I meant the overall number of people living in Weston who speak Spanish or are of Spanish racial, cultural, or ethnic origin. We have had this argument before. Apparently you cannot see the difference between someone who falls into that category and someone who is a white person with no Spanish background.
Ok .. man whatever .. is this really that important ... who cares .. both places are nice places to live .. no sense in dragging this on .

Old 11-06-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Ok .. man whatever .. is this really that important ... who cares .. both places are nice places to live .. no sense in dragging this on .
If a person is trying to decide where to live then it is helpful to provide information of an area for them. That is all I am doing.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:46 AM

355 posts, read 923,295 times
Quote:
Not true ... I lived in Weston for several years and get down there often ... 50% of the population is still white non hispanic and heavily Jewish ... the other half for the most part .. affluent South Americans .. I live in Parkland now and although I like it ... I miss Weston .
Lots of great info from all.

Rock, what do you miss about Weston?

My biggest concern is that my everyday white kids (with their agnostic parents) will have no other kids to hang with.

Where we live now (central Texas) the 2 main groups are the Mexican kids, and the Religious Right folks. Both groups are pretty exclusive. Not much diversity.

My DH went to our son's Y soccer game last month while I was working, and said he overheard many of the parents talking, and realized most of them went to the same Baptist church. We're out of a pretty big loop here, and one we're not interested in joining. Fine for us, but not for the kids. I'm just not the Bible study type, KWIM?

Is one area more diverse than the other?

Old 11-08-2011, 05:08 AM

188 posts, read 588,061 times
I can talk to what you are asking in Weston. We are also very white with no religious affiliation here. We go between Catholic and Episcopal and never found a church that we were comfortable with and stopped looking. No one gets on you for not going to church here and there are many other ways for the kids and you to meet people.

I have 2 boys. When we moved here one was starting 9th and one was starting 6th. They had no trouble meeting kids and they chose not to sign up for any sports. There are so many kids here that there is a group for every kid. It is great to see my boys hanging out with Latin American, Jewish, Norwegian, and others. They have learned more about other cultures here then they would have ever learned up north. We always taught our boys to respect other cultures but now they live it every day.

I think Weston is diverse. I know some will say otherwise. I live on a very diverse street. From what I see we have 6 white families (catholic or protestant), at least 4 Jewish families, 2 African American and 3 Latin American families.
There are times when I go into a store and get frustrated because I hear no English being spoken but I then think about where I live and wish I would have learned Spanish in High School! As soon as I walk to the counter the clerks switch to English with no problem (most of the time)

I don’t think you can go wrong in either place. You will just need to figure out which place feels right to you. Good luck.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:31 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
We found Weston to be very diverse. Even within the Spanish speaking population there is a diversity. Not all the Spanish speakers are from one country. Our friends in Weston are from Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, Colombia, Venezuela and Argentina.

The Jewish community in Weston is not all that religious. I found people to be pretty friendly and my kids still maintain their friendships with their friends in Weston.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime22 View Post
Lots of great info from all.

Rock, what do you miss about Weston?

My biggest concern is that my everyday white kids (with their agnostic parents) will have no other kids to hang with.

Where we live now (central Texas) the 2 main groups are the Mexican kids, and the Religious Right folks. Both groups are pretty exclusive. Not much diversity.

My DH went to our son's Y soccer game last month while I was working, and said he overheard many of the parents talking, and realized most of them went to the same Baptist church. We're out of a pretty big loop here, and one we're not interested in joining. Fine for us, but not for the kids. I'm just not the Bible study type, KWIM?

Is one area more diverse than the other?
As lovely as Parkland is and it is lovely ... Weston had more amenities and more things to do for the kids ... Weston unlike most of Dade County for instance is very diverse .. not only white non-Hispanics , and Hispanics but also some Asians and a smaller professional African - Caribbean populace .. we even had neighbors from Canada and Holland ... I guess our neighbors were friendlier than the ones we now have in Parkland and were more more down to earth as well .. we also liked having rural SW Ranches and Davie nearby as well as Cooper City which feels like middle America ... this is much less fundamentalist in any religion than Texas is ... you are free to worship or not and no one will bother you .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area