Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 09:16 PM

355 posts, read 922,884 times

Advertisements

How would you describe the differences between Weston and Parkland? The similarities?

Where would you rather live? Or have you lived in both cities?

I have been to Weston many times, because I have a friend there, but have never been to Parkland.

We'd like to move from TX. We have 3 elementary aged kids.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 05:46 AM

36 posts, read 125,633 times
I currently live in Weston, but we bought a new house in Parkland. It's a new construction. We expect to move in by summer. I have 2 kids, elementary and middle school. They both are beautiful cities and very similar. Both are very well known for having good schools. Actually, Parkland ranked 9th in best schools nationwide, according to Forbes. Weston is closer to Miami, that is something you need to consider if you have to commute. My husband works in Sunrise, so that is not an issue for us. Both are very safe cities. Weston has more latin population. For me, either one is an excellent choice!

Old 10-27-2011, 06:01 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
I used to live in Weston. I have never lived in Parkland but I have been there many times. Both cities have a lot to offer residents. They are both attractive cities and neither has very much retail within the city limits. In both places you will find grocery stores and the type of businesses you need for daily living but little in the way of big box stores and the like. Parkland is probably a little closer to that sort of retail than Weston.

Parkland is more convenient to jobs in Palm Beach County. Weston is more convenient to jobs in Miami Dade County. Both are convenient for Broward.

Schools are acceptable in both cities. Not great but better than surrounding areas.

I have boys and they play lacrosse and football. Both cities have excellent lacrosse programs for boys and girls. Football is better in Weston, but if you want better football Parkland is convenient to Coral Springs Chargers football. Parkland has youth football but they play in the Pop Warner league, which is not as good as the AYFL (Weston and Coral Springs league). I don't really know about other activities for kids.

In Parkland you have to be careful about Chinese drywall in homes built between 2004-2007. You have to be careful about it anywhere with homes built in that date range, but Parkland had more building during that time period than Weston. I would not let fear of the issue drive you away from Parkland though. It's not as if every house in they city has this issue.

Weston has more spanish speakers if that sort of thing bothers you.

I'll check in again if I think of anything else.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:16 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
Both are affluent areas with lots of new housing developments built over the last 10-20 years. Parkland has a more rustic appearance with lots of tree canopy roads. Weston has more of a Mediterranean style and less natural foliage and more palm trees. Parkland has a larger Caucasian population and Weston seems to be about 50/50 Caucasian/Hispanic. Nevertheless Weston's residents are very affluent regardless of race. Weston seems to be all gated communities while Parkland seems to be a mix of gated communities and open communities.

As others pointed out, if your job is in Miami you would be a lot happier living in Weston. If your job is in Palm Beach County you would be way better off living in Parkland. Both cities are about the same distance from the beaches.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:24 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Parkland has a larger Caucasian population and Weston seems to be about 50/50 Caucasian/Hispanic.
For those who are interested in such things most of Weston's Hispanics are also Caucasian. At any rate I do concur that Weston is more Hispanic and less American than Parkland but both are very nice.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
For those who are interested in such things most of Weston's Hispanics are also Caucasian. At any rate I do concur that Weston is more Hispanic and less American than Parkland but both are very nice.
It depends what use of the term Hispanic you are using. If we are talking purely racial differences, then you may be correct. I was referring to both racial and cultural differences. By Caucasian I meant someone who looks white and does not have a Spanish speaking background. By Hispanic, I was referring to someone who has a Spanish speaking background or who's family origins are from a Spanish speaking country.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:47 PM

166 posts, read 384,235 times
Both are very nice but I'd give the edge to Parkland, but I'm biased I've lived in Parkland since 1987 and raised two boys there. I'd read this article I wrote Parkland Lifestyle and then I think the edge goes to Parkland on the schools as well Forbes Parkland Schools. Good luck with your decision.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:27 AM

I personally like Parkland better even though I have never lived in either city and have only driven through. I like the more natural look with lots of trees and some more traditional looking homes on large properties. Weston seems to be all Med looking homes in yuppy gated communities. It is nice for sure, but not my style.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:12 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,108 times
bottom line: Parkland=the USA with a strong NY jewish influence. Weston=South America.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:46 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Both are affluent areas with lots of new housing developments built over the last 10-20 years. Parkland has a more rustic appearance with lots of tree canopy roads. Weston has more of a Mediterranean style and less natural foliage and more palm trees. Parkland has a larger Caucasian population and Weston seems to be about 50/50 Caucasian/Hispanic. Nevertheless Weston's residents are very affluent regardless of race. Weston seems to be all gated communities while Parkland seems to be a mix of gated communities and open communities.

As others pointed out, if your job is in Miami you would be a lot happier living in Weston. If your job is in Palm Beach County you would be way better off living in Parkland. Both cities are about the same distance from the beaches.

Nolefan ... you are normally a pretty sharp guy ... but I have to call you out on this one ... did you not know that the overwhelming percentage of Hispanics in Weston are in fact Caucasian ... I was not aware that white non-Spanish speakers had the market cornered on being "Caucasian" ... have you ever been to Spain ... tons of Caucasians there they just happen to be Spanish ... you are confusing race and ethnicity ... sorry for the rant ... but that needed to be corrected ... other than that your post was right on !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area