Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 01:41 AM

5 posts, read 11,487 times

Advertisements

I have put a thread on here seeking information about Oakland Pk, and have gotten 2 replies. Was hoping for more input, info, advice, and suggestions about moving there and buying home, and it seems as though no one wishes to discuss the area. Just looking for advantages and disadvantages. i understand that people are very concerned about being Politically Correct, and dont wish to offend any people of color, race or ethnicity, but the reality is that there are safe neighborhoods, and unsafe neighborhoods. I wish to be in a safe area, and not worry about drive by shootings, getting mugged or shot while on a morning jog, or a late evening run, and definitely dont wish to have any encounters with gang members dealing drugs, etc. I have read some older post's and read all about Lauderhill being a war zone, so I know to stay away from there, but now am seeking some more up to date info on Oakland Pk. Yes, I am caucasian, and desire to live in a neighborhood that is safe, predominantly safe.
Thank You,
Dash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 07:40 AM

164 posts, read 374,619 times
The neighborhoods between between US1 and Dixie Highway that are north of Oakland Park Boulevard are nice and are seeing gentrification. A lot of Oakland Park is in transition, but that area has lots of nice homes at reasonable prices. I am not familiar with the rest of Oakland Park that is east of I95, but would caution against going into Oakland park west of I95. Over there, the city borders on Lauderdale Lakes, which is a cesspool.

In general, the parts of Oakland Park that are adjacent to the US1 corridor are nice.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:09 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,697,821 times
Generally speaking, Oakland Park is not known as a good neighborhood. It;s as simple as that.
Some will have differing views, however there's no doubt about it that Oakland Park is not regarded as a nice neighborhood.

It's not like you'll have to worry about drive-bys (I cant name one town where you'd genuinely have to worry about that anyway )

It's kind of lower-middle class, no frills, nothing great about it type of place. So many better places to buy a house IMO

Old 07-06-2012, 11:08 AM

8 posts, read 22,770 times
Oakland Park is a normal Florida town! The only area that is really concerning is between Dixie Highway, Andrews Ave and Prospect road. Areas that are mainly industrial/ commercial. All to the east of I-95. The area west of I-95 is actually better than the east side. There are good neighborhoods (condos and houses), a golf course( closed), parks, lakes, canals, etc. the area by US1 is great, the area by commercial blvd is good.
The area to the south of Oakland Park Blvd is most notorious to be a concern.
There is no gentrification in The town of Oakland Park. Maybe the meaning of the word is being misuse but, there is no gentrification. To call a city a cesspool is not only disrespectful is absurd and racist.
Lauderdale Lakes is predominantly African-American, Haitian, Jamaican but is very well taken care of. The city hall is just of Oakland Park Blvd and is actually nicer that a lot of others.
Oakland Park boundaries are east( fort lauderdale), west(lauderdale lakes, Tamarac ), north(fort lauderdale ), southeast ( Wilton manors),southwest ( fort lauderdale ).
I'm Caucasian and I feel no threat when jogging, walking or biking thru the city of Oakland Park.
There is diversity, east/ west, north or south.
Florida is diversity. Is very hard to get away from it.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:37 AM

8 posts, read 22,770 times
First of all Oakland Park is a town not a neighborhood. Is conveniently located to the beach, highways, shops and more. Most people in Florida are low middle class, but most people drive luxury cars and buy expensive clothes. People live paycheck to paycheck.
I live in Oakland Park and most of my neighbor are consider upper middle class. $250k and more annually.There is a lot of gays living in Oakland Park. As well young families. Of course there are Other desirable towns. But they will be way westward or not affordable for most people.
If you looking for frills go to Miami. Because broward is very quiet, frills concern.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:27 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,697,821 times
Being that the OP mentions she's caucasion and wants "predominantly safe" neighborhoods and mentions drive-bys, gangs, etc, I cant help but think that's an undercover way of saying she wants a predominantly white neighborhood.

Well, Oakland Park isn't gonna be that. That's for dang sure.
if u want to buy a house, I just dont think Oakland park is the best place to do that. Housing is cheap there for a reason, cuz no one's clamoring to live there. Albeit, it's decent in certain areas, but just keep an open mind and look at other areas. Perhaps Victoria Park area? Coral Springs, Boca, Coconut Creek, etc.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:24 PM

112 posts, read 414,145 times
just go a bit west to Plantation, is what I would suggest. I would never, ever, ever buy a house in Oakland Park.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:04 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,475,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
just go a bit west to Plantation, is what I would suggest. I would never, ever, ever buy a house in Oakland Park.
I am on the same page as you 100%. I would never consider living in Oakland Park.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:12 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
I helped out at a friend's theatre in Oakland Park. (The theatre closed a few years back.) My impression was that the area was not a hotbed of crime, but that many of the people there were living from the beginning of the month to the beginning of the next month on some type of government assistance. There was a regular flow of "job applicants" who knew they weren't going to work at the theatre, but needed the paperwork to continue whatever aid they were getting. I never felt threatened, and was pretty comfortable with the people that came around. Other people might not.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:08 AM

104 posts, read 229,199 times
No, it's not Taboo. It's just one of those towns that has little appeal. I guess it has nice pockets, but it seems mostly grungy to me. I don't know about Lauderdale Lakes being a cesspool-The area just south of Florida Medical Center looks pretty well maintained to me. If you want to buy in this area, it's always wiser to go for less square footage and get into a neighborhood that has been consistently good-Oakland Park isn't it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area