Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 06:39 AM

18 posts, read 24,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Why are you picking FT. Lauderdale to move to?
Why not just pitch a tent in the parking lot of South of the Border?
Really, not trying to be divisive, just pragmatically realistic.
I would just want you to ask yourself why?
Spring break? Party town? Sun and beaches? The reality of South Florida is sooooo much different than the perception, there is a high percentage of a chance you will wind up like everyone else who moves to S. FL based on its TV reputation. You will leave broke and depressed thinking the "Welcome to Georgia" sign on I-95 is the greatest thing you have ever seen.

Please, Please PLEASE--- DO NOT MAKE THIS MOVE UNTIL YOU HAVE A CONTRACT FOR A JOB THAT CAN SUPPORT YOU.

If you are coming from the North Eastern part of the country, you will be shocked at the job climate. If you do win the lottery and get a real job, you will quickly be slapped with the fact that your boss, the person you will have to answer to, would not have even gotten an interview in the NE. That doesn't bother some people, but if you require even a modicum of professionalism and decorum from your superior, you will be severely let down. Also, what got you 20.00 and hour in the NE, will get you 12.00 there. Look on local job boards to see the salary insanity. It's a service based economy based on waiting on old people and golfers. A Masters will get you 15.00 an hour in some jobs.
I could go on and on but will spare you for the sake of brevity and sanity . . . Just do not make this move without a huge back-up of cash and a job contract in place or you will join the club of people who will never get the most depressing time of their lives spent in hell, back

Research, research, research . . .
I'm an auto damage appraiser. I generally work for shops but I can work for insurances companies independently and for them directly (if I get my fl. adjusters license). I chose Ft. Lauderdale to start because my friend is renting me a condo with no lease. I can also have my pitbull without question. It isn't my first pick of places and I am willing to relocate once I get there but I need a starting point and this seems to be obvious. I have no problem commuiting an hour or so each way to work if necessary at first. I can do things outside of my chosen profession if necessary. My fiance makes $12 here so $10 there is fine for her. I have talked to several people (that do my job there) and they have accually told me that they make more their doing what I do then I do here. I don't expect things to be the same down there as they are here. That's why I want to go. I want a new experience.

Last edited by BostonPitbull; 02-10-2013 at 07:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 07:10 AM

815 posts, read 981,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonPitbull View Post
I'm an auto damage appraiser. I generally work for shops but I can work for insurances companies independently and for them directly (if I get my fl. adjusters license). I chose Ft. Lauderdale to start because my friend is renting me a condo with no lease. I can also have my pitbull without question. It isn't my first pick of places and I am willing to relocate once I get there but I need a starting point and this seems to be obvious. I have no problem commuiting an hour or so each way to work if necessary at first. I can do things outside of my chosen profession if necessary. My fiance makes $12 here so $10 thereis fine for her. I have talked to several people (that do my job) and they have accually told me that they make more their doing what I do then I do here. I don't expect things to be the same down there as they are here. That's why I want to go. I want a new experience.

I think you'll be fine.
You'll never know until you try it. Worst case sceanrio, it doesn't work out and you have to move back.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
There ARE jobs, if you are willing to be flexible and work in the service industry until you get a job in your field. And it sounds like you are.
The biggest mistake people make is that they expect FL to be just like their old state, only WARMER.
If you don't fall into this trap and go into this with an open mind, you may very well love living in FL.
Ft Lauderdale isn't my favorite place, but since you have resources there, I agree it can easily work as a "starting point".
Good luck in your new adventure!

Old 02-10-2013, 08:01 AM

46 posts, read 65,198 times
Would u care 2 elaborate on that statement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
The biggest mistake people make is that they expect FL to be just like their old state, only WARMER.If you don't fall into this trap and go into this with an open mind, you may very well love living in FL.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:03 AM

What happens when/if your new home gets demolished by a hurricane?

Quote:
After this storm I'm done.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
I think you'll be fine.
You'll never know until you try it. Worst case sceanrio, it doesn't work out and you have to move back.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
There ARE jobs, if you are willing to be flexible and work in the service industry until you get a job in your field. And it sounds like you are.
The biggest mistake people make is that they expect FL to be just like their old state, only WARMER.
If you don't fall into this trap and go into this with an open mind, you may very well love living in FL.
Ft Lauderdale isn't my favorite place, but since you have resources there, I agree it can easily work as a "starting point".
Good luck in your new adventure!
Thank you! We know it will be different. We are willing to do what ever it takes. I hope to find something before I go but if we don't try we'll never leave. My mom & step dad did it with young children (My brother and sister) in there late 40's. They started in North Carlolina and ended up loosing their house after moving to Houston Texas for work. They are now happy and settled in (and renting a house). My sister just started at Texas A&M. I trust in God. I feel we will be taken care of.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisc8869 View Post
What happens when/if your new home gets demolished by a hurricane?
What happens if I get in a car accident? What happens if I get hit by a bus? If I remember correctly, we are the last area to get hit by a big, devistating hurricane. If it was a little further north we would have been New Jersy. At least when you loose power down south your not freezing cold. I refuse to not do **** in my life out of fear!

Old 02-10-2013, 09:17 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,803,481 times
Boston,

You are clearly committed to head down to SFL - so go and make the best of it. It is what you have decided is best for you. The SFL boards are funny to me because many people despise the area, but those who are committed to move cannot be swayed. Good for them. A couple of years ago I remember a woman from NY who argued with all the locals as to how FL would be -Shoegal. She moved back to NY within the year.
I wish you success and the best.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Boston,

You are clearly committed to head down to SFL - so go and make the best of it. It is what you have decided is best for you. The SFL boards are funny to me because many people despise the area, but those who are committed to move cannot be swayed. Good for them. A couple of years ago I remember a woman from NY who argued with all the locals as to how FL would be -Shoegal. She moved back to NY within the year.
I wish you success and the best.
Yea, I'm not trying to argue about wether or not I should go. I am trying to figure out if I should delay it until I have a solid job. The problem is it's tough to get one from here. I have noticed that a lot of people in Folrida (espically the ones who are from there) love to bash it and tell people from here not to bother. I can't really vacation due to the fact that I have a handicapped pitbull that I can't pawn off on someone for a week due to his condition. He is only 7 so he could be around for another 5+ years. Also, I did move there once before and I loved it. It wasn't SFL but I got a feel for things there ie climate, culture, etc. The only reason I left is because I needed to tend to some personal issues and get my life on track (over 5 years sober now). I don't know if Floridians just have a hair accross their ass because they don't like us coming there and taking jobs, etc and that's why they tell us not to come but it sure seems that way.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:58 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,803,481 times
Quote:
Yea, I'm not trying to argue about wether or not I should go. I am trying to figure out if I should delay it until I have a solid job. The problem is it's tough to get one from here. I have noticed that a lot of people in Folrida (espically the ones who are from there) love to bash it and tell people from here not to bother. I can't really vacation due to the fact that I have a handicapped pitbull that I can't pawn off on someone for a week due to his condition. He is only 7 so he could be around for another 5+ years. Also, I did move there once before and I loved it. It wasn't SFL but I got a feel for things there ie climate, culture, etc. The only reason I left is because I needed to tend to some personal issues and get my life on track (over 5 years sober now). I don't know if Floridians just have a hair accross their ass because they don't like us coming there and taking jobs, etc and that's why they tell us not to come but it sure seems that way.
I truly do not believe this is the reason. It is because it is a difficult place to live when you have to earn a living. The jobs are scarce and do not pay great. Traffic is horrible. People are ticked off because they cant or will not leave. And the misery goes on and on.

It is hard to find something not living there. You are right. If you have to go without having something lined up work wise, be ready to be flexible. Remember - there are alot of people working off books and such that make temporary jobs more competitive than in other places. Just go in with your eyes open. I would hate for you to move - it may be hard to find a place that will take a Pit - and run out of money - fast. Again, good luck to you.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:02 AM

I feel u. I'm just saying, it sounded like this storm made the decision 4 u. I'm in upstate NY. I know exactly where you're coming from. I'm trying to dig out of this damn storm right now cause my snowblower of course decided to not work after the dump that we got. It's 18 degrees here right now and I had to go out and work on it last night in a bone chilling 10 degrees. These $#@!^& temps. (especially below zero and single digits) are not something for living creatures. I'm a thin person which doesn't help either. We have seen the ice storms and wind storms, etc. here. It's such a long winter also. 30 degreees in Dec. Jan. and Feb. here is welcomed by most. We don't get the storms we used to though. I remember when I was younger, we used to get crazy snow. I love the snow and the way it looks . Too bad it can't be 80 degrees at the same time. It's the cold that I despise. I have to hibernate for several months. In July , a lot of people here complain when it gets into the 90's and its humid. I love it. I have been to Fla. in July also. I don't understand the people that say "you have to be in the house with the a/c for 8 months". I imagine being in southern Fla all the time. Not too many people relocate cause of climate. But, when you're talking about this section of the country...... The only thing that keeps me here is my somewhat well paying job. I have been looking to move down there myself, at least to S.carolina.Sometimes , I hate it here so much , that I imagine losing the job so I am forced to leave. I know, be careful what u wish 4. The only thing that I don't like is a lot of rain, and the congestion and long commute times of over .5 hour . I know about the employment situation there. Many people in Fla. have no idea what it's like here and they say "don't come here" . Climate WILL make people leave!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area