Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 01:15 PM

18 posts, read 24,508 times

Advertisements

Just to follow up. I moved to Pompano Beach a month ago (now permanently in Coconut Creek at least for a year) . I got hired at a job two weeks ago and in the order that I am finding everything down here (super slow) I got the green light from HR to start tomorrow. I got here on April 1st, started really job hunting on April 8th, had a job by April 19th and I am starting work tomorrow May 7th. Also, the job is paying the same money that I was making in Massachusetts just outside of Boston. My girl is also working part time making $12 an hour and will be able to work full time once we can get her a car. If your a hustler and trust in God there are jobs to be had. Never live in fear. Life is too short!

On another note, I like it here. I don't know if I will stay right where I am but so far it is what I was looking for. I am still looking around and haven't been able to do much on a limited budget but it's nice. I have seen some places I'd consider buying. It's not for everyone but it works for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 02:09 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,198,364 times
Welcome to the Sunshine State! Hope you like it here. If you can make it through the summers you should be fine. IMHO, people who relocate from the NE find the summers down here the worst -- lots of humidity. But thank goodness for AC!

Old 05-06-2013, 06:55 PM

32 posts, read 68,643 times
Pitbull- I just read all these posts for the first time and I just wanted to commend you and your fiance for making the move, trusting in God and giving me hope!! I plan to move to SoFl next summer from NJ (waiting to make 10 years at my state job to ensure I receive pension when I retire in 30 years) Anyway, I have found this forum to be extremely negative at times especially when us northerners want to move down but just like you, I am going to do it anyway and have an entire year to plan and I too trust in God and if it's meant to be, I will be okay. I wont know until I try and I am not going to let fear stop me or live with regrets. I believe I read in one of your posts that you are 5 years sober...that's great!!!! I have 4 and 1/2 years clean =) Anyway my bf was having a hard time finding work up here...he does auto body work/restoration and has been looking for months up here but to no avail and his unemployment was running out...a friend of his lives in Pompano and offered him a place to stay for a few months to see if he can find work down there...he got there on March 15th and had a job 3 days later making more than he did up here...Some will say he just got lucky but I say it's all part of Gods plan...My research in schools for my daughter has led me to Boca Raton and I will be down in June to visit and see some developements there...Best of luck to you and your fiance!

Old 05-09-2013, 07:10 PM

18 posts, read 24,508 times
NellyNel- Go for it! People will always tell you can't do something. Just remember that you have the favor of GOD and can do anything! My attitude going into this was I'll try it and see if I like it. If I don't I will try something else. It's only been a month but so far my fiancé and I are very happy with our decision. We have been through a lot a of challenges but we only planned for 6 months and only saved up about 7 grand. I would suggest saving a bit more then that if possible. We cut it close but we have made it work. Here are a few things you should know.
Boca is very nice. A bit more expensive and a bit snooty but nice. Downtown I always see Ferraris and Lamborghini's, etc. It's very clean and beautiful though. I live in Coconut Creek. I haven't really seen much of it yet but I am told it is very nice to. The place I have seen that I liked the most is Delray. I want to buy a house there. I'd steer clear of Lauderdale and Pompano personally. They are cool but not where I want to live (especially if I had kids). There is a lot of crime and homeless people. Its right up the street from me if I want to go there and I frequently do.
There is a Phenomenal Recovery community in this area! I have many friends here already and I can get you plugged in right away. Congrats on your recovery! That is the most important thing!
I am an auto damage appraiser and have been in the business for about 6 years. There are TONS of jobs for body men here. I know that there is a guy on CL who has been looking for a resto guy for months. A former co-worker in mass talked to him about it and he sounded like a good guy. If your bf is into cars like I am then this is the place to be. I have found that the jobs here are plentiful and pay about the same as up north. They do require a ton of BS to get though. Your hand will be tired from all of the applications and aptitude tests you have to take.
I could go on and on but I am willing to help you with anything you guys need. My fiancé is also in recovery and perhaps we can meet up once you make the transition! Your situation is so similar to mine! Remember there are no coincidences. Get back to me and I will IM you my phone number. Good Luck and God bless!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area