Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 05:58 PM

22 posts, read 39,750 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am looking for some insight on the cost/standard of living in Fort Lauderdale or any surrounding communities. I’m from Ontario, Canada and I am competing for a job at the Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Airport which pays $38,000/yr.

My question is would I be able to rent a 2 bedroom apartment plus live comfortably on 38K. It is difficult to compare both economies but I presently make 46K and live pretty comfortably here. I’m trying to figure out if 38K is doable. I have twin toddlers to look after and school loans as well, and I’m a bit worried about being able to afford to move to Florida at that salary.

I’ve read so many different views on life in Broward County that I decided to ask for opinions on some of the things I’m looking for specifically in a move to Florida:

1. Nice weather all year round
2. Work at an airport that is in constant growth mode, therefore
ensuring job security
3. Many outdoor activities for my kids and I because I’m big on
exercise, fishing, bike riding, soccer, swimming, camping etc.
4. Being able to afford renting in a safe neighborhood while making
$38,000/yr
5. The ability to purchase a house in a reasonably safe neighborhood
for about $250,000-$300,000 while making $38,000
6. Good public schools

Can anyone comment on if I’d be able to achieve these things on 38K?

Where would be the safest and closest place to the Airport to rent once I move?

What’s crime like in Broward County compared to West Palm Beach County for example?

What are some of the communities I want to stay away from when I move (crime, poverty etc.)

Can anyone list the best things about Broward County and some of the least desirable things?

Thanks for the input; it really helps to here from the people that life there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 06:07 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason19 View Post
1. Nice weather all year round- Make sure you can deal with the 4 months of 100+ degree heat index, albeit with a breeze.
2. Work at an airport that is in constant growth mode, therefore
ensuring job security- That helps
exercise, fishing, bike riding, soccer, swimming, camping etc.- Yes
$38,000/yr- NO!
for about $250,000-$300,000 while making $38,000- NO!
6. Good public schools
Not in your price range.

Can anyone comment on if I’d be able to achieve these things on 38K?

Yes, don't move here.

Where would be the safest and closest place to the Airport to rent once I move?

West Davie.

What’s crime like in Broward County compared to West Palm Beach County for example?

Significantly lower than Palm Beach, even lower than Dade County. High compared to Toronto, and about average compared to other large US cities.

What are some of the communities I want to stay away from when I move (crime, poverty etc.)

Pompano Beach, Oakland Park, Hollywood between US1 and 95 and also many parts west of 95, parts of Deerfield and Hallandale Beach, Lauderhill (and a small chunk of Sunrise that blends into it), west Fort Lauderdale. They are pretty avoidable.

Can anyone list the best things about Broward County and some of the least desirable things?

Read my posts.

Thanks for the input; it really helps to here from the people that life there.
You could find a house in a nice area in a better school zone for 300k easily and nowadays 250k, but I don't know how your budget is that high with only 38k a year. I wouldn't move here, this place is very hard on working class families. I wouldn't move here with children making under 75k a year.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:16 PM

Hey there, thanks for the reply. Purchasing a home in that price range is very ambitious but I thought I'd ask anyway. I'm going to find your posts to see what some of the pros and cons of Broward county are.

I'll look forward to some of the other posters opinions as well.

M19.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:24 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
1. Nice weather all year round
Sorry to tell you, but we don't have great year round weather. One of the biggest misconceptions. But again this is a question that only you can decide. As what I think is perfect may not be perfect to you. To me coastal California has perfect year round weather. Northerner hibernate during the winter, well many Floridians do the same but From Mid-May through November. But this last winter many people still hibernated as we spent most of the "winter months" in the 80s F

exercise, fishing, bike riding, soccer, swimming, camping etc.
Yes there are plenty of things to do, but From Mid-May through November it is just to warm to be outside any extended time, unless you are in a pool of course. Camping out in the everglades I guess, but you only want to do that from Dec-April no mosquitos.

$38,000/yr
38k will be tough for a SINGLE person, not a good idea for a family.

for about $250,000-$300,000 while making $38,000
You can buy a townhouse or a condo, not a house in that price range that is in a nice safe area.

6. Good public schools
Yes there are a few, but most are in the better areas 500k plus homes. There are some magnet/charter schools (schools you have to try out and get excepted to) which are good.

Can anyone comment on if I’d be able to achieve these things on 38K?I don't think you can.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
6. Good public schools
Yes there are a few, but most are in the better areas 500k plus homes. There are some magnet/charter schools (schools you have to try out and get excepted to) which are good.
Believe it or not Miami and Ft. Lauderdale are different, this included. There are decent houses in decent school districts in west Davie now going for the mid 200s and low 300s in Weston and Cooper City, and they are only bound to decrease much more. There are also houses in other decent areas in the mid 200s now too but those are the best areas for the schools K through 12.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:28 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Believe it or not Miami and Ft. Lauderdale are different, this included. There are decent houses in decent school districts in west Davie now going for the mid 250s and low 300s in Weston and Cooper City, and they are only bound to decrease much more.
I thought about that after I posted. I was thinking Miami, uuuuuppppppssss.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:30 PM

Yeah, used to be that bad though. But people are still moving to Miami! I think that's why the prices aren't decreasing as much down by you.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:42 PM

So I'm beginning to get a clearer pic of whether I can survive on 38K. Since the answer seems to be no, what would be the most modest salary range that will allow me to pay approx $900 rent for a 2 bedroom and take care of my family? That’s a tough question because you don’t know what my expenses are besides rent, but lets just say that other than school loans and the toddlers, I don’t really have any other expenses that aren’t related to cost of living. What’s an appropriate figure to try to negotiate in order to be modestly comfortable?

Old 05-10-2008, 06:46 PM

You won't find a 2 bedroom anywhere for under 1000 a month, not even a shoddy one...you need about 1200/month minimum to find a 2 bedroom in a good school district. This area is very overpriced for families. There are better places for a family that cost less.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:50 PM

I'm shocked by that. Rent is that high? So I'm almost afraid to ask what I can get relatively close to the airport for $900/m.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area