Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2008, 03:01 PM

795 posts, read 1,391,444 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I know the market's going down, but I still have bad feelings about the cheaper foreclosures.

I saw a few listings on trulia.com in a neighborhood around Holiday Park in Fort Lauderdale that were disgustingly cheap. Tons <$50,000, some even <$20,000. Is this a high-crime neighborhood or is there something wrong with them?

Better yet, do I have reason to believe any neighborhood is bad if I see some listings this cheap?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 09:14 PM

259 posts, read 1,323,978 times
You'll need to better refine your definition of "around Holiday Park" for me. I live within walking distance of Holiday Park and yes, there are some cracker boxes one street west of Route 1 and one block north of Sunrise "around Holiday Park" that will fall over if a passing car backfires. Go three blocks east of Route 1 at similar latitude and if you can buy houses for $20-50K, I would advise you borrow against your grandma's social security checks to buy as many as you can for that price since you are entering into Victoria Park proper.

As a former Yank myself, I can quickly admonish those who think there is homogeneous zoning in South Florida to stick their wallets in a safe until you live a few months here acquainting yourself with the absence thereof.

There are no "steals" to be had within 2 miles of the coastline. Sales are taking place based on the land value alone in this zone regardless of what structure sits on top of it. If there is a lot selling for 20K, then there is likely a pawn shop, tatoo parlor or adult novelty store on the abutting lot.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:53 PM

795 posts, read 1,391,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualobserver View Post
You'll need to better refine your definition of "around Holiday Park" for me. I live within walking distance of Holiday Park and yes, there are some cracker boxes one street west of Route 1 and one block north of Sunrise "around Holiday Park" that will fall over if a passing car backfires. Go three blocks east of Route 1 at similar latitude and if you can buy houses for $20-50K, I would advise you borrow against your grandma's social security checks to buy as many as you can for that price since you are entering into Victoria Park proper.

As a former Yank myself, I can quickly admonish those who think there is homogeneous zoning in South Florida to stick their wallets in a safe until you live a few months here acquainting yourself with the absence thereof.

There are no "steals" to be had within 2 miles of the coastline. Sales are taking place based on the land value alone in this zone regardless of what structure sits on top of it. If there is a lot selling for 20K, then there is likely a pawn shop, tatoo parlor or adult novelty store on the abutting lot.
OK thanks. The neighborhood I was talking about is south of E Sunrise blvd, and south/east of Federal Highway, seemingly directly east of the park.

I'm aware that homogeneous zoning is generally reserved to the gated communities or otherwise upscale areas of S. FL. That's why I posted here - trying to find what other than the market and the house itself makes the price so low. I've been to Ft. Laud and the area many, many times but have not paid much attention to neighborhoods other than my own. I'm just researching and trying to get a hold for the future.

Thank you for your input! If you know more, please tell.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:57 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,362,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius View Post
OK thanks. The neighborhood I was talking about is south of E Sunrise blvd, and south/east of Federal Highway, seemingly directly east of the park.

I'm aware that homogeneous zoning is generally reserved to the gated communities or otherwise upscale areas of S. FL. That's why I posted here - trying to find what other than the market and the house itself makes the price so low. I've been to Ft. Laud and the area many, many times but have not paid much attention to neighborhoods other than my own. I'm just researching and trying to get a hold for the future.

Thank you for your input! If you know more, please tell.
bad things happen in that park, bad things *shutters*.

Do you live down here? Maybe go take a drive through there to see for yourself. If you give me some addresses IF I have time this weekend I can go through, takes some pictures and post them in the picture thread for you.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:55 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
My kids play lacrosse in Holiday Park sometimes. It doesn't seem any worse than any other urban park in the area. Maybe it's different at night?

Old 08-08-2008, 02:00 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,362,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
My kids play lacrosse in Holiday Park sometimes. It doesn't seem any worse than any other urban park in the area. Maybe it's different at night?
we have kids who frequent these boards so I wont go indepth. All I will say is, don't let your kids go to those public bathrooms in that park by themselves.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:47 PM

259 posts, read 1,323,978 times
Well, celcius, due east of the park is fine, in fact if due east is considered to be at 3 o'clock, the heart of Victoria Park is at 4 o'clock. You should probably make sure your lots are not actually backing up to Sunrise on the north (1 o'clock from the park), but if these are a couple of blocks south of Sunrise, you are either looking at a scam or the buy of a lifetime.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,407 times
Wild Style --- that is a rather open comment.I suspect you are referring to gay cruising as Victoria Park is a very nice and very gay neighborhood.While 100% not supporting of cruising in public areas - there is a huge difference between that and violent crime that should impact a buyer's decision.If it is drugs / rape / gang activity say so --- if not say so.My understanding is Victoria Park / Holiday Park are very nice, very safe and very gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area