Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 10:02 AM

436 posts, read 1,089,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
Ok, what is this "lack of culture" crap exactly? You want culture, drive to Miami and find restaurants of every kind there. I'm sure there are other venues as well, I'm sure there is a performing arts center somewhere in the area. And by culture I don't mean the annual hip hop fest .

As far as what I believe most if not all of us want in today's world? As an American born and raised in northern New Jersey, aside from getting away from the cold, all I want is a safe, crime free neighborhood with decent schools where people take pride in their properties and their community, and where there are opportunities for everyone to participate in sports, chartiable events, etc....cultural stuff is not up there on my list, as I can seek that out elsewhere other than where I hang my hat. And besides, I'm getting tired of people acting like being born and raised in this country implies a lack of culture. My grandmother came here from Italy, I miss her food...may she RIP,...I'm sure I can drive around and find some Italian food I can stomach when I get there!
I'm trying to figure this out too. There seems to be all this talk of culture and diversity a lot in these FL forums. Why is it so important?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 10:53 AM

77 posts, read 297,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
Ok, what is this "lack of culture" crap exactly? You want culture, drive to Miami and find restaurants of every kind there. I'm sure there are other venues as well, I'm sure there is a performing arts center somewhere in the area. And by culture I don't mean the annual hip hop fest .

As far as what I believe most if not all of us want in today's world? As an American born and raised in northern New Jersey, aside from getting away from the cold, all I want is a safe, crime free neighborhood with decent schools where people take pride in their properties and their community, and where there are opportunities for everyone to participate in sports, chartiable events, etc....cultural stuff is not up there on my list, as I can seek that out elsewhere other than where I hang my hat. And besides, I'm getting tired of people acting like being born and raised in this country implies a lack of culture. My grandmother came here from Italy, I miss her food...may she RIP,...I'm sure I can drive around and find some Italian food I can stomach when I get there!
Onegreatnurse--I'm sorry. I did not mean to be insulting. I was born/raised in NY and then moved to Sebastian/Vero Beach area of Florida where there seems to be nothing. Have to drive so far for everything (even a darn Toys R Us! and I'm talking about a 30 minute drive for TOYS!) and so I don't want to make the same mistake twice. Having said that, if the schools are great in Weston I'm willing to drive to shop as long as my children will go to a good school. Schools are our number one priority. I will do a search on hear and read more posts on Weston but it sounds like a lovely place to live from everyones responses. Thank you for your feedback.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankev View Post
There are several posts on Weston. Put is a search for Weston on this site and tons of posts will pop up.
It is one of the top areas that families look at to live around here. All public schools which consist of 6 elementary, 2 middle and one high are rated "A" Schools. There are also many privite schools in the city. There are at least 20 gated communities at all different price points within the city. There are plenty of apartments or townhomes also. Each development has its own park along with the many parks and rec fields located in and around the city. There is quite a bit of shopping and dining. Some within walking distance from the developments. We have at least 4 grocery stores along with drug stores and any other store or restaurant you might want. As far as big box stores, no. You will have to travel For a Target or Walmart. Wheather you travel north or south you will run into major shoping areas within 5-7 miles.
I am sure many people will tell you about Weston. You really have to visit to understand how it is laid out. We also have a town center where there is always something going on such as, art shows, movie night, music, etc..
We were also looking in the areas you discuss in Miami. Look in Palmetto

Bay also. Even with my husband working in Miami, we chose Weston. I think it is all what you are used to. So far so good! Good luck
Tankev--thank you for your feedback. Are there certain gated developments that are 'better' or more 'upscale' than others in Weston? Would love to look at some homes online, although we will be making a trip down there but not sure when.

My husband will be working for BE Aerospace in Medley so he'd like to live somewhere commutable. Would Weston be your pick?

One other question: Does anyone know of any particular preschools (for my 3 year old) that is reputable?

Again, my main concern is my children, their schooling and the activities for them (water parks, gymnastics, dance classes, sports, fairs, fesitvals, etc.) We love to attend family friendly activities on the weekends.

Thanks to everyone. You've been very helpful!!

Old 03-04-2009, 11:01 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy7890 View Post
Onegreatnurse--I'm sorry. I did not mean to be insulting. I was born/raised in NY and then moved to Sebastian/Vero Beach area of Florida where there seems to be nothing. Have to drive so far for everything (even a darn Toys R Us! and I'm talking about a 30 minute drive for TOYS!) and so I don't want to make the same mistake twice. Having said that, if the schools are great in Weston I'm willing to drive to shop as long as my children will go to a good school. Schools are our number one priority. I will do a search on hear and read more posts on Weston but it sounds like a lovely place to live from everyones responses. Thank you for your feedback.
Weston actually has very few big box stores in city limits, aside from Publix which is everywhere. There are quite a few locally owned restaurants and shops however. I feel it's a nice balance between convenience and becoming too "franchisey". If you are looking for big box, it's a 5 minute highway drive to Pembroke Pines, which has all of the big box you can imagine. It's also only about 30 minutes (at peak time) to downtown Ft. Lauderdale which has the performing arts center, some nightlife, museum of art, etc, and within fair proximity (an hour or less) to most of what Miami has to offer. There is definitely a "cookie cutter" look to the area, however, which might not be for everyone. Parkland has more natural trees.

Parkland has almost no shopping to speak of in city limits, and is further from Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. You have to drive to Coral Springs or Boca Raton, which is also only about 5 minutes but Weston is generally more convenient.

For the private schools, Sagemont is small, but seems to be building a good reputation. American Heritage in Plantation, about 15 minutes max from most points of Weston, is a very reputable private school.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:04 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,136 times
I think you will find Weston GREAT for all of the things you listed. Read my post below.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Hi New - I'm not sure who told you the bad things about Weston, but I think they were fudging a bit. I have to say other than hearing it is pricey there, I haven't heard anything remotely bad about Weston. I too am looking to relocate.

Here are the 5 best cities for schools in Broward - Parkland, Coral Springs, Weston, Davie and Cooper City. There are other place people will tell you about however, those cities schools don't perform as consistently.

Douglas High is probably the best public highs chool in all of Broward County, but it has its share of issues (this is from the mouth of residents in Parkland, when I was looking at homes). It isn't going to be gang issues or anything like that, but I'll let your imagination wonder on what the issues are. That being said would I send my kid there? 100% yes. You have to parent your children.

I don't think that it is really practical to live in Parkland and have your husband travel to Medley - I really think that you would like Weston for all the same reason's you like Parkland. Take the issues with the school with a grain of salt. I do know that a lot of people send their kids to private schools there. They are just too expensive for me, however, I'm thinking catholic highs school, but hoping that scholarships will come into play. Don't kill me guys, cuz it is like the 32nd time i'm saying this, but I want to help New so I'm going to say it anyway. I have a spreadsheet that I did of all the schools in the area so you can see what each school offers athletically and see which ones are A schools and where they rated on www.greatschools.net. If you want a copy dm me and I'll email it to you.
Chelsa1075--Thank you so much for your help. I would love to see the spreadsheet you created. I'm not sure how to 'copy dm' you though. I'm new to this site. Please let me know and thank you!

As I mentioned in other posts above, our main concern is our children and providing them with a great education. I'm from NY originally so I know Florida schools aren't as good as some up north but I want to find the best we can as I'm not sure if we'll be able to swing private.

Also, do you happen to know of any preschools that I could research for my 3 year old?

Chelsa1075, do you live in Weston? I thought I saw some older posts that you were considering moving there?

Thanks again for all your help!

Old 03-04-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Weston actually has very few big box stores in city limits, besides from Publix which is everywhere. There are quite a few locally owned restaurants and shops however. If you are looking for big box, it's a 5 minute highway drive to Pembroke Pines, which has all of the big box you can imagine. It's also only about 30 minutes (at peak time) to downtown Ft. Lauderdale which has the performing arts center, some nightlife, museum of art, etc, and within fair proximity (an hour or less) to most of what Miami has to offer. I consider location to be one of the biggest assets of living here.

Parkland has almost no shopping to speak of in city limits, and is further from Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. You have to drive to Coral Springs or Boca Raton, which is also only about 5 minutes but Weston is generally more convenient.
Compelled--Thank you!! You guys are great!! Can you tell me a little about Pembroke Pines? Knowing what we're looking for (good schools, family friend, safety, etc), would you still recommend Weston over PP?

Old 03-04-2009, 11:10 AM

No love - I'm relocating too, but like you school was our biggest concern - you are a step ahead of me as your husband has a job - I am not as fortunate. But I'm not giving up, I'm still looking - so for now, I will continue my search.

You can DM me by clicking directly on my name. I think it then asks you do you want to direct message me, click on that and begin your message. I will tell you ahead of time, I sent this to someone else, but I can't do it through CDF - I have to send it directly to your e-mail. I'm not a psycho, I promise.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:12 AM

100% yes! Remember what I said about the consistency of the schools.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:16 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy7890 View Post
Compelled--Thank you!! You guys are great!! Can you tell me a little about Pembroke Pines? Knowing what we're looking for (good schools, family friend, safety, etc), would you still recommend Weston over PP?
I would recommend Weston over Pembroke Pines, but there are some nice communities west of I-75 that might have what you are looking for (like Chapel Trail, best schools in the area), and there is more in the way of shopping/etc. As a consequence, Pembroke Pines is also more congested. Crime generally isn't much of an issue in Pines (have heard about a lot of incidents at the mall lately though, hmm), but like anywhere else, there are some thefts and burglaries and robbery isn't entirely unheard of. There is more crime in Pines than Weston, but it's still significantly safer than "average". As far as family stuff, I think Pembroke Pines does a pretty good job with family events, has a couple nice parks (like C.B Smith), etc, and generally the entire area is populated with young families. Generally speaking, the areas west of Palm Ave are the most family friendly, but the areas west of I-75 are your best bet for the schools.

It's also worth checking out west Miramar (west of I-75, and then the further west the better from there), which is so far south that your commute will be down to only 15-20 minutes. The main con is that the middle/high school isn't "as" good and there are no private schools in the area. Pines and Weston are probably better choices overall, but the location is advantageous.

Definitely check out Cooper City as well. Do some research, I think you will like what you find. I would personally rank it right up with Weston and Parkland for what you are looking for, but it has more of a nice small-town feel to it, less pretentious than Parkland and more character than Weston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area