Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 11:39 AM

20 posts, read 57,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Spurs View Post
Hello, I'm English and along with my wife and dog I'm moving over to Fort Lauderdale later this summer. I've got a couple of practical questions...

1. I've heard really bad reports about American beers. What are the good ones? Are there any good local independent breweries?

2. Do any cable of satellite services show football (I think you call it soccer) in HIGH DEF?

Once I've got those questions answered I'll look into the less important ones like, jobs, houses, education etc... Let's sort out football and beer first.

thank you in advance for your help.

You sound like my husband beer and footie are VERY important! He's been in this country 8 years and I am happy to ask him these questions if you'd like. I know he watches the footie here but I don't know the channel. And Beer...well....he's an expert in that too so I'll have to get back to you. We don't live in Ft Lauderdale but there is a huge english population there (which I'm sure you've already worked out). We are moving to Weston which is about 20 minutes west of Ft. Lauderdale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 03:56 PM

14 posts, read 31,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy78901 View Post
You sound like my husband beer and footie are VERY important! He's been in this country 8 years and I am happy to ask him these questions if you'd like. I know he watches the footie here but I don't know the channel. And Beer...well....he's an expert in that too so I'll have to get back to you. We don't live in Ft Lauderdale but there is a huge english population there (which I'm sure you've already worked out). We are moving to Weston which is about 20 minutes west of Ft. Lauderdale.
I'd appreciate your husband's advice. Thank you very much.

I say Fort Lauderdale, but that's just the general area we are looking. Weston is a possibility. How do you find living there? ..and Florida in general? What was the biggest culture shock for your husband when moving there?

Old 05-15-2009, 06:38 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
Hello, I'm English and along with my wife and dog I'm moving over to Fort Lauderdale later this summer. I've got a couple of practical questions...

1. I've heard really bad reports about American beers. What are the good ones? Are there any good local independent breweries?

2. Do any cable of satellite services show football (I think you call it soccer) in HIGH DEF?

Once I've got those questions answered I'll look into the less important ones like, jobs, houses, education etc... Let's sort out football and beer first.

Yeah, we have nightly brawls between Arsenal and Newcastle fans.

/JUST KIDDING!!!

Sierra Nevada is a nice beer.

Also Negra Modelo (Mexican is quite nice). And Presidente - from Dominican Republic.

I just met some guys who are from Davie area, one of them owns a bar and specializes in beer, they had some really nice American stuff.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:39 PM

20 posts, read 57,325 times
Quote:
I'd appreciate your husband's advice. Thank you very much.

I say Fort Lauderdale, but that's just the general area we are looking. Weston is a possibility. How do you find living there? ..and Florida in general? What was the biggest culture shock for your husband when moving there?
I asked my husband and he said that depending on where you are and which provider you have you can get the football matches. We have Fox Soccer Channel. I don't think it's in High Def but he said you can get that. He said there is another channel if you get a dish, but he can't remember the name. He thinks it starts with an "S".

We don't live in Weston now....well....my husband does and we plan to move down with the kids once my daughter finishes preschool this year. Weston is very family oriented town. Tons of family, kid, adult activities. If you are a young couple without children you might find it boring though (I'm guessing). It just depends on what you are looking for in a town.

I've lived in Florida for about 12 years. I'm originally from NY and I'm still not in love with Florida so I might not be the best person to ask, but we live where the jobs are..... so....we're here (for now).

He thinks you'll be able to get british beers in Ft. Lauderdale. You'll have to test the American beers to see what you like. Some Publix grocery stores carry a 'british food section' where you can get all sorts of stuff from back home. (tea, biscuits, sweets, etc)

In the end, if you come here expecting to live the same lifestyle (I'm not sure where you're from in England but the US is very different and Florida is even more different), eat the same foods you have there, drink the same beers you might find it hard. You'll need to adapt and figure out the American equivalant to things you like/need if you KWIM. When in Rome....

Old 05-15-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
I've lived in Florida for about 12 years. I'm originally from NY and I'm still not in love with Florida so I might not be the best person to ask, but we live where the jobs are..... so....we're here (for now).
That's exactly how it is for us, we're going where the job is. You're lucky to have settled in an area for so long. Florida will be the fourth time we've moved in 10 years (2 moves within England and one to the Netherlands). We've always been a bit transient.

Quote:
In the end, if you come here expecting to live the same lifestyle (I'm not sure where you're from in England but the US is very different and Florida is even more different), eat the same foods you have there, drink the same beers you might find it hard. You'll need to adapt and figure out the American equivalant to things you like/need if you KWIM. When in Rome....
As I said, we've travelled around a bit. We're currently living in a very nice part of Buckinghamshire called Chalfont St Peter. It's just west of London and just far enough north of a hell-hole called Slough (if you ever watched the original Ricky Gervais series 'The Office' you'll know how grim that place is).

I'll be giving up my Tottenham Hotspur (soccer) season ticket (on the half way line in the east stand) and a lot of nice local breweries and ale houses. I can live without them but I'll need something to plug the gap. I expect differences and difficulties with a move (and to be honest I quite enjoy them). It's just nice to have some of the stuff you know. It helps smooth the transition.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Yeah, we have nightly brawls between Arsenal and Newcastle fans.

/JUST KIDDING!!!

Sierra Nevada is a nice beer.

Also Negra Modelo (Mexican is quite nice). And Presidente - from Dominican Republic.

I just met some guys who are from Davie area, one of them owns a bar and specializes in beer, they had some really nice American stuff.
Thanks. I'll try those when I have my first trip over there. I've found a good website listing breweries in Florida (and worldwide) called BeerMe.com. The places listed there are going to be my first attempts. The 'Big Bear Brewing company' in Coral Springs looks like a good start.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraDog View Post
Your perception of most American beer is indeed true. Fortunately, Fort Lauderdale offers a few good English pubs (Waxy O'Connors, the Field) which have all the British beers. You can also stock up on your own at Total Wine (amazing huge wine and liquor store off 17th Street).

Directv and the Dish both offer plenty of soccer programming. Or you can gather with fellow Brits at aforementioned Waxy O'Connors to watch futbol.

Good luck to you - I am sure you will like it here, there are a lot of Brits who seem to love it.
Sorry I didn't reply to your post sooner. I got a bit side tracked by 'Wild's' post and the subsequent fall out.

I'm currently looking at the beer catalogue on the 'Total Wine' website...

That's made me very happy. Thank you.

Even if there aren't any good American microbrews (and I doubt that after looking at the list) then I could get the stuff I like from England anyway, it's not horrifically expensive.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:29 AM

23 posts, read 65,426 times
Hi Florida Spurs, I'm from the UK and have lived in South Fl for just over 3 years (and Philly before that). A previous poster is correct that Fox Soccer channel (FSC) carriers Premiership games (live on Sat and Sun..cool...although its a bit odd watching them that early, you can always record it.) ESPN also carries the Champions League, which I believe is also moving to FSC for the 09/10 season. FSC is not HD but the quality is'nt too bad on Comcast (I also have a Slingbox set up in the UK at my parents for any games etc I also want to see..the quality is just OK)
I'm sure as you have investigated find some good beers, as you say 'most' US beers aren't as 'tasty' as the US ones, but there are some exceptions. Along with some of the SA beers you will be good.
The main thing down here to contend with daily is the weather and as long as you like summer and humid (summer), you should be good. You do acclimatise.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:23 AM

Thanks for the info. I didn't think of the Slingbox... Hmmm... I see they do an HD slingbox now... if I can rig that up at my parent's house along with Sky HD.... I'll look into that a bit more...cheers.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:08 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
Quote:

English-American here -- if you do come over, look me up so that we can watch some football (or "soccer" as they call it) and drink some quality beers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area