Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 09:35 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Charlotte is 2nd to NYC in banking. Many folks from NYC chose to move to Charlotte for the quality of life (Clt is called "mini NYC", especially with all the folks from NY that have moved down there). But you lived there, so I'm sure you already knew all that stuff.

Back to what we were saying... yes, everyone has to find the place that makes them happy. FL isnt for everyone, nor is NC. Many of the folks that have moved to FL are from up north, it's like it's in their blood or something. I only know like 3 or 4 people that have moved from NC to FL (excluding my wife and I), and they have all been folks here on C-D, and they've all been from up north. those folks from NY or NJ (I find) are more inclined to choose a place like S FL over NC. Folks move to NC to get away from the S FL life, and I think that NY/NJ folks like the S FL lifestyle instead.
Coming from NY and living in NJ I agree we personally cant imagine living anywhere else as this is like home in alot of ways....so yes it might be in our blood..lol and my husband worked for one of the large banks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 04:52 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Arent you trying to move to Northern FL? So it's pretty obvious you apprecaite what North FL has to offer. I cant blame you, if I were to stay in FL, I'd be in North FL too.
Will probably move to Northern Florida in another five - six years when my daughters are out of college .... but if I did not live in Florida , it would be one of the other states I mentioned ... with my ideal locale being San Diego although that will not happen due to logistics and job constraints ... in a nut shell though we are happy in South Florida for the next several years .

Old 02-08-2010, 04:55 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Not a NYC type of person? ....(j/k)

Watch what you say. These are the same words that'll have you leave Florida again. Never say never, has never been truer (no pun intended).

I love my hometown ... but only for visits . I would probably not live in NYC again .

Old 02-08-2010, 08:21 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Com, I had no idea that NC was second in banking, that is good to know - I left banking many years ago, but it is always good to have that in your bank of ideas.

Anyway, what you said to Berry was worded perfectly Com, she/we come from NYC so, going to Charlotte seems slow to us. I have less problem with slow and more problem with rude and lack of common sense (but that is something else entirely). I happen to think Florida is pretty slow as well. Don't kill me for this statement - but I feel like there is NYC and everywhere else. Please don't mistake this statement as me saying NYC is great - while I don't think it is the worst place to live, it certainly is not high on my list of great places to live, believe me. It takes a certain type of person to live here forever. The NYC that some remember is very different from that today. I returned to NYC 18 years ago kicking and screaming - I hated coming back here, especially after being in a place like Maryland, clean air, nice parks, for the most part nice people. I wasn't from a small town, but it had small town appeal. Then I got used to NYC, I got used to the grind we call a life here. We are a very progressive city, perhaps a bit too progressive for my liking. NYC affords a lot of people opportunities, but it can also suck the life right out of you. I feel this way not just because of the cold, but just in general. One of most taxed places in the country and I have to look at garbage on the highway - gross - I know everyone thinks we have this great transit system but there are many things wrong with the system believe me. For over 10million people to ride the train every day and it isn't clean - really? I know tons of people from NYC in the 70's and 80's who will say it is way better, and yes it is, but to me that doesn't make it good enough. My husband and I were talking yesterday about our plans to go to florida and just to look we went on realtor sites for the queens area - and it is laughable to say the least. Homes for 390k bad areas - good area homes for 400K, but need to be completely renovated. What is wrong with this picture. We could move to the island - spend 400K on a house 9K in taxes and 300+ on trains that sounds really appealing right. Sorry, I'm ranting. All this to say, SE Florida is great for people from NYC that are just coming off the craze - the adjustment is a complete shock to the system. I don't expect southern hospitality when I go to Florida so, I'm not disappointed much by that - however, if I go to NC and get rude - I would be very disappointed. I find that the most important thing in a move is to set yourself up mentally for what you're about to get. You can't go to NC with NYC mind frame, at least in my opinion.

So, you see Com there is no wrong or right for wanting SE Florida or NC - it all depends on what in life you are looking for.

Quote:
Charlotte is 2nd to NYC in banking. Many folks from NYC chose to move to Charlotte for the quality of life (Clt is called "mini NYC", especially with all the folks from NY that have moved down there). But you lived there, so I'm sure you already knew all that stuff.

Back to what we were saying... yes, everyone has to find the place that makes them happy. FL isnt for everyone, nor is NC. Many of the folks that have moved to FL are from up north, it's like it's in their blood or something. I only know like 3 or 4 people that have moved from NC to FL (excluding my wife and I), and they have all been folks here on C-D, and they've all been from up north. those folks from NY or NJ (I find) are more inclined to choose a place like S FL over NC. Folks move to NC to get away from the S FL life, and I think that NY/NJ folks like the S FL lifestyle instead.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:54 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Com, I had no idea that NC was second in banking, that is good to know - I left banking many years ago, but it is always good to have that in your bank of ideas.

Anyway, what you said to Berry was worded perfectly Com, she/we come from NYC so, going to Charlotte seems slow to us. I have less problem with slow and more problem with rude and lack of common sense (but that is something else entirely). I happen to think Florida is pretty slow as well. Don't kill me for this statement - but I feel like there is NYC and everywhere else. Please don't mistake this statement as me saying NYC is great - while I don't think it is the worst place to live, it certainly is not high on my list of great places to live, believe me. It takes a certain type of person to live here forever. The NYC that some remember is very different from that today. I returned to NYC 18 years ago kicking and screaming - I hated coming back here, especially after being in a place like Maryland, clean air, nice parks, for the most part nice people. I wasn't from a small town, but it had small town appeal. Then I got used to NYC, I got used to the grind we call a life here. We are a very progressive city, perhaps a bit too progressive for my liking. NYC affords a lot of people opportunities, but it can also suck the life right out of you. I feel this way not just because of the cold, but just in general. One of most taxed places in the country and I have to look at garbage on the highway - gross - I know everyone thinks we have this great transit system but there are many things wrong with the system believe me. For over 10million people to ride the train every day and it isn't clean - really? I know tons of people from NYC in the 70's and 80's who will say it is way better, and yes it is, but to me that doesn't make it good enough. My husband and I were talking yesterday about our plans to go to florida and just to look we went on realtor sites for the queens area - and it is laughable to say the least. Homes for 390k bad areas - good area homes for 400K, but need to be completely renovated. What is wrong with this picture. We could move to the island - spend 400K on a house 9K in taxes and 300+ on trains that sounds really appealing right. Sorry, I'm ranting. All this to say, SE Florida is great for people from NYC that are just coming off the craze - the adjustment is a complete shock to the system. I don't expect southern hospitality when I go to Florida so, I'm not disappointed much by that - however, if I go to NC and get rude - I would be very disappointed. I find that the most important thing in a move is to set yourself up mentally for what you're about to get. You can't go to NC with NYC mind frame, at least in my opinion.

So, you see Com there is no wrong or right for wanting SE Florida or NC - it all depends on what in life you are looking for.

I agree, NYC is a whole different ball game, and FL will seem very "slow" to you I bet. SFL would be most comparable, North FL would be total opposite. I think Charlotte would be somewhere in the middle. To me, the people of CLT seem pretty darn friendly for such a big city, and I think that could be a reason why some folks may think it's slow. Trust me, the way people drive, and the large influx of those from NY/NJ, I dont think it's slow at all. To me, its kind of like S FL, just friendlier people. I personally think Charlotte and it's surrounding area would be a good place for you. A good mix of what you're used to, with all it's amenities and tranplants from your neck of the woods, mixed in with some people from elsewhere, and it's cheaper (or it used to be) than S FL. I got a DM from another poster - I'm not going to say who. But this person commented on how sweet and friendly you are. Which I agree! But this person said you're too sweet from SE FL! I think you have to have tough skin there, but you being from NYC, I'm sure you can handle yourself!

Old 02-08-2010, 09:17 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Quote:
I agree, NYC is a whole different ball game, and FL will seem very "slow" to you I bet. SFL would be most comparable, North FL would be total opposite. I think Charlotte would be somewhere in the middle. To me, the people of CLT seem pretty darn friendly for such a big city, and I think that could be a reason why some folks may think it's slow. Trust me, the way people drive, and the large influx of those from NY/NJ, I dont think it's slow at all. To me, its kind of like S FL, just friendlier people. I personally think Charlotte and it's surrounding area would be a good place for you. A good mix of what you're used to, with all it's amenities and tranplants from your neck of the woods, mixed in with some people from elsewhere, and it's cheaper (or it used to be) than S FL. I got a DM from another poster - I'm not going to say who. But this person commented on how sweet and friendly you are. Which I agree! But this person said you're too sweet from SE FL! I think you have to have tough skin there, but you being from NYC, I'm sure you can handle yourself!
Thank you Com, and please thank the person who DM'd you. I'm nice here because I want to be and I can be. I don't walk out of the house pissed off (even here in NYC). I'm a little disappointed in how it looks outside, but I try and make the best of it. I am a bubbly person and am very approachable, which, I think makes it a little more difficult for people to just be mean to me but there are people who are just jerks anywhere. I really want to get away from NYC and right now my only real option is Florida because of family. Who knows, I may end up in North Carolina or Georgia before all is said and done with. At this point because of employment, I would gladly take DC or Texas, I could simply move offices, without a huge pay cut. I'm going to stay positive and hope that something comes up for me and my husband.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:32 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Interesting .. seeing more and more people moving back to South Florida from the "nirvana" of North Carolina .... we had new neighbors move in down the street here in Heron Bay ( Parkland ) a few months ago from Raleigh ... I have not had time to speak much to them .. seem like nice people originally from Rhode Island who had lived in Coral Springs for twelve years before departing for NC ... one son told me they just could not get used to NC after only four years there .... anyhow I guess the grass is not always greener on the other side ???

LOL, interesting huh? There are 1 or 2 more "junior members" who started new threads the last couple days too. Interesting how that works, all of a sudden.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:21 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
South FL is fast paced compared to most of the country, but slower than NYC. Miami is very fast paced and Fort Lauderdale is a couple of steps behind. I still think Fort Lauderdale is considerably faster than Charlotte. I think it has to do mainly with nightlife. There is so much nightlife here and it is so popular to go out places like restaurants, clubs, bars, etc. Whereas in other places like NC they do that stuff in moderation, and do not typically stay out as late. Here it is never-ending and the clubs are open till 5AM.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:31 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
South FL is fast paced compared to most of the country, but slower than NYC. Miami is very fast paced and Fort Lauderdale is a couple of steps behind. I still think Fort Lauderdale is considerably faster than Charlotte. I think it has to do mainly with nightlife. There is so much nightlife here and it is so popular to go out places like restaurants, clubs, bars, etc. Whereas in other places like NC they do that stuff in moderation, and do not typically stay out as late. Here it is never-ending and the clubs are open till 5AM.
Very true. I will also add that weather is something people favor down here, and many can't shake it off after being here for a while.

I think young people, as in people in their early 20s (club heads, not ready to settle down and start a family) and people in their late 50s and up (preparing for retirement) tend to prefer South Florida.

Weather for some, nightlife for others.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:29 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
we are 41 and 43 and love south florida...we arent near retirement age...however this is where we were going to retire anyhow, so I guess we are here a little earlier if that is the case, but either way we love it....my kids love it as well and for us after living in so many other states this is our home finally....There are quiet a few people who have moved from florida who are trying to come back that feel the same...the funny thing is in every state thread its always about the same thing...So in the end its all about people's lifestyles, their wants and needs and what makes them happy...its the ones that go for reasons that they are going to find in other places as it isnt better its just different....and because someone loves somewhere you dont (generally speaking) doesnt mean they are foolish for coming back, or I cant believe people actually want to go back etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area