Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 03:34 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby24 View Post
The problem with Cape Coral is the lack of enforcement of rules. Maybe if they were enforced people looking to buy in the area would find it more appealing.
They used to do that but it is a big Catch-22. Once the foreclosures started the revenue went down and Cape Coral is lucky if they get all the grass mowed and the vandalism isn't obvious.

The average sale price of a home is one of the cheapest in the nation. If you want robust Code Nazis then you are probably going to have to look into a tonier area and loosen the purse strings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 07:04 PM

10 posts, read 19,650 times
My husband and I are looking for a vacation/retiring condo in SW, Fl. We have been looking at Bonita Springs, Estero, Cape Coral and Ft Myers. Can anyone help us with recommendations for safe areas and affordable golf?

Old 05-23-2010, 07:21 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,338,017 times
Psch, do a search at the top of the page. You will find much on these topics.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,028 times
All cities have their bad areas! I am orginally from NY and now in TX (35 yrs). I am retired and was looking in CC beause I saw prices low. Now that I have read these threads--I don't know. I want out of TX. I live is a deed restricted and no they don't enforce them here either. HOA dues for nothing. Our taxes are over 6k a yr and our house is not worth what we built it for in 2004. It is 3000 sq ft have a full theatre, 4 bedrooms 2-1/2 baths and 2 car garage. This does Not including the over 10K improvements we put into it. We want to buy down...good luck to us!!!

Old 01-30-2011, 08:07 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXPD View Post
All cities have their bad areas! I am orginally from NY and now in TX (35 yrs). I am retired and was looking in CC beause I saw prices low. Now that I have read these threads--I don't know. I want out of TX. I live is a deed restricted and no they don't enforce them here either. HOA dues for nothing. Our taxes are over 6k a yr and our house is not worth what we built it for in 2004. It is 3000 sq ft have a full theatre, 4 bedrooms 2-1/2 baths and 2 car garage. This does Not including the over 10K improvements we put into it. We want to buy down...good luck to us!!!
This thread is almost two years old. More homes are selling and the area looks much better. You might want to take a look.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:59 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,351,757 times
Well this area isn't much different.
Deed restrictions yes, enforcement on a basis if your neighbor turns you in. One street has all kinds of violations and they do nothing, the next over you have a neighborhood informant and the code people are there all the time. No HOA, But major mis-management of the taxes collected and the city is still in debt. Documented corruption at the government level over the last 25yrs. No jobs and none will be created in the immediate future, because after 40yrs. of being a city there is still no plan to bring industry to help support the region. Funds unaccounted for, fuel unaccounted for, it just goes on and on. This area needs major change.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:48 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,338,017 times
If I thought the area was in such bad shape I wouldn't have bought here. Equal, I bought the same month you did!

Old 02-03-2011, 06:03 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,909,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equalrightsforeveryone View Post
Well this area isn't much different.
Deed restrictions yes, enforcement on a basis if your neighbor turns you in. One street has all kinds of violations and they do nothing, the next over you have a neighborhood informant and the code people are there all the time. No HOA, But major mis-management of the taxes collected and the city is still in debt. Documented corruption at the government level over the last 25yrs. No jobs and none will be created in the immediate future, because after 40yrs. of being a city there is still no plan to bring industry to help support the region. Funds unaccounted for, fuel unaccounted for, it just goes on and on. This area needs major change.
I just seen on the news the police in cape coral will try to change how they deal with the public. Lets see how that works out.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:51 AM

252 posts, read 388,774 times
Think it is possible for Cape Coral to get in as bad a shape as Lehigh?
Jake

Old 02-03-2011, 11:22 AM

964 posts, read 2,065,570 times
Jake, here's a lot of Cape Coral naysayers on this board, so would not be surprised at some of the answers you get. There are just as many folks here that love CC and are thrilled with their decisions, like me. While no one has a crystal ball, there are far too many differences between Lehigh and CC for CC to become like that. For one, the canals and the mixture of both affordable and multimillion dollar homes constantly popping up along them. Two, the new Vet's facility and National Guard depot opening in the NE section will bring a lot of commerce into an area that has seen little or none prior. These two things alone bode very well for the Cape.

It has problems just like a lot of other cities in the US. The local government officials are kind of wacky (FL overall does have an odd track record regarding elections and their officials), but the election is next year and my guess is that they will be displaced with some more sensible folks. As wacky as they are, the mayor is working hard to bring revenue in and the city manager is uncovering a significant amount of cost savings through better oversight and thrift. Crime is very low here, something else that is widely disparate from Lehigh. Others with agendas may weigh in contradicting this, but take a look at the hard data and see where CC lies in terms of crime stats.

In short, no one really knows, but given real estate values have climbed since I purchased this time last year, I doubt we'll ever see anything like the sad situation in Lehigh.

Just a gal's 2 cents!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyjake39 View Post
Think it is possible for Cape Coral to get in as bad a shape as Lehigh?
Jake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area