Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 09:42 AM

191 posts, read 519,161 times

Advertisements

It will be Maine. I'm a native Floridian (40+ years) but I can't wait to move to Maine. Contrary to what people think, it's not the artic tundra. We visit Maine frequently and love the quality of life there. Crime is next to nothing (esp. when compared to here), the state is clean and there is still wilderness. Yes it gets cold, but for me the 90+ degree weather and humidity is just as bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 05:07 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellec View Post
We moved to East TN 6 months ago for all the BS that goes on in SWFl. We are not too to happy in TN. The cost of living is FAR less but people are a bit rude here. One thing I di miss about FL and Im no boze hound, was our festivals and all that allowed beer tents. We live in a dry county! No liquor, no bars an dthe resturants only sell beer. But there are on any given day HUNDREDS of FL plates in the walmart parking lot! People are coming here by the droves! The economy here is slow but work isnt too bad. My hubby had to wait 6 months for an electrical job but he finally got one. Not half as good pay as he was getting in FL but then again he got laid off so an illegal imigrant took his position for less pay! I hear trades are only getting maybe 8.00 an hour there and here at least there up to 16-17! The winter was cold compared to Fl but pretty mild. No real snow. Maybe 2-3 times and it melted in a few hours. But I think we would move to N.FL or Georgia. I really like the idea of the Carolinas but I hear they are very expensive.
Great post!

I moved to Knoxville almost three years ago. It is better than Fort Myers. Everything is better than Fort Myers.

Good golly, southwest Florida was collapsing, and it wasn't that great when I moved there in 1998. Lots of "planned communities." No "real" places to live, because those neighborhoods were riddled with transients and everyone was a potential victim of crime.

Fort Myers is not the northeast. It is full of midwestern retirees that could care less about museums, schools, scenery, etc. Put up a Walmart and Bob Evans, and they are good.

Now, it is consists of abandoned properties and no jobs.

But East Tennessee has that Appalachian mind-set, too. Approach them and you might get your face blown off because they are protecting their still, pot farm, **** fighting scam.

Mama didn't teach them them the ability to see "please and thank you."

Most openly hostile people that you will ever meet with no social skills.

I wouldn't want to live in the midwest or the south.

I want to go back to the Northeast.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLtoMaine View Post
It will be Maine. I'm a native Floridian (40+ years) but I can't wait to move to Maine. Contrary to what people think, it's not the artic tundra. We visit Maine frequently and love the quality of life there. Crime is next to nothing (esp. when compared to here), the state is clean and there is still wilderness. Yes it gets cold, but for me the 90+ degree weather and humidity is just as bad.
Maine is the most beautiful place I have ever seen.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:14 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Mama didn't teach them them the ability to see "please and thank you."

Most openly hostile people that you will ever meet with no social skills.

I wouldn't want to live in the midwest or the south.

I want to go back to the Northeast.
Oh, but Tennessee is supposed to be the promised land! No rude people!

About the NE, well, you really don't know what you got until it's gone. I could live up there again, but I I like it down here too. But the NE is great. Great cities with culture and history, great small towns with charm and honest people, great suburbs with unbeatable quality of life, and it's expensive because the economy is not quite as volatile as the faster growing states. Like everywhere else certain things suck about the NE (like the winters) but certain things suck about every region. Although there is no perfect place for every individual, I don't know what people in general think they are running from up there.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Oh, but Tennessee is supposed to be the promised land! No rude people!

About the NE, well, you really don't know what you got until it's gone. I could live up there again, but I I like it down here too. But the NE is great. Great cities with culture and history, great small towns with charm and honest people, great suburbs with unbeatable quality of life, and it's expensive because the economy is not quite as volatile as the faster growing states. Like everywhere else certain things suck about the NE (like the winters) but certain things suck about every region. Although there is no perfect place for every individual, I don't know what people in general think they are running from up there.
True dat! It is so cold, wah!!!!!!!!

I'm 46, I could care less about the cold. Dang. I can wear a killer winter coat. Nothing like a coat that you found in NYC or Boston, that hangs just right.

At the end of the day, there is nothing like the best education in the country, the museums, people that say what they mean and follow through.

The beach is nice, but then again, I have been to the best beaches in New England. Sanibel, Captiva, etc, are not even close.

Good, golly, go to Marginal Way in Ogunquit, Maine, watch the waves hit the rocks, and tell me about beaches. I use to drive out there to just get it together.

Or go to the Cape. Go to Hyannisport. Say "hi" to Teddy, the best senator that has ever graced this land.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:08 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,774,924 times
Quote:
Maine is the most beautiful place I have ever seen.
I second that... I love Wells Maine, York, Ogunquit, right up to Kennebunk port. As a child my parents went there every summer... i love it there, I feel at peace there.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:

I'm 46, I could care less about the cold. Dang. I can wear a killer winter coat. Nothing like a coat that you found in NYC or Boston, that hangs just right.

At the end of the day, there is nothing like the best education in the country, the museums, people that say what they mean and follow through.

The beach is nice, but then again, I have been to the best beaches in New England. Sanibel, Captiva, etc, are not even close.

Good, golly, go to Marginal Way in Ogunquit, Maine, watch the waves hit the rocks, and tell me about beaches. I use to drive out there to just get it together.

Or go to the Cape. Go to Hyannisport. Say "hi" to Teddy, the best senator that has ever graced this land.
You are my new best friend....

Old 05-25-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately, I haven't been to Maine ! Might make it up this summer though! The beaches in New England are DIFFERENT, but better is subjective. However, Sanibel/Captiva aren't really all that great with the brown water and all. But come on, go to Anna Maria Island and tell me you aren't stunned. THAT'S a nice beach. Here on the east coast I like how Hollywood Beach has that mock San Diego thing going on with the broadwalk, except you have clear turquoise water that you can actually swim in. It's just a cool vibe. Heck, you even occasionally get swells! I like everything about this side of the state better, beaches included. For a quieter beach I do like going to Naples where the water is pretty decent, but I don't know, to me, Fort Myers area is just...uh...yeah, you can do better in Florida even if you are just looking for a place to retire or lay on the beach.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Unfortunately, I haven't really been to Maine ! The beaches in New England are DIFFERENT, better is subjective. However, Sanibel/Captiva aren't really all that great with the brown water and all. But come on, go to Anna Maria Island and tell me you aren't stunned. THAT'S a nice beach. Here on the east coast I like how Hollywood Beach has that mock San Diego thing going on with the broadwalk, except you have clear turquoise water that you can actually swim in. Heck, you even occasionally get swells! I don't know, to me, Fort Myers arae is just...uh...yeah, you can do better in Florida even if you are just looking for a place to retire.
I agree the east coast beaches(Melbourne on down) are WAY better than the ones over here, Nasty brown water, barely any waves. It's like a big lake...

Old 05-25-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
I agree the east coast beaches(Melbourne on down) are WAY better than the ones over here, Nasty brown water, barely any waves. It's like a big lake...
I have been to Naples a few times and it has been pretty nice but once you get north of there it's nasty until you get up towards Sarasota. I updated my other post and, well, I like generally like the east coast better in most ways, including the beaches.

I really do like Florida and I have found my niche here, but your side of the state just doesn't do it for me...Fort Myers area and Orlando are my least favorites, St. Petersburg and Ft. Lauderdale are my favorite cities in FL. I also acknowledge that this isn't the only place in the country...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area