Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 01:32 PM

46 posts, read 243,103 times

Advertisements

Husband and I will be coming in October to househunt. We keep hearing to buy in the south Cape - not the north but am wondering why.

Can anyone explain this to us. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 01:41 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,727,894 times
South Cape Coral vs. North Cape Coral:
  • South has less crime than North
  • North doesn't (or didn't) have city water, whereas the South does.
  • South is more build up than North.
My biggest thing would be that North has more crime than South. Southeast would be your best choice out of all of Cape Coral. Good Luck to you!!

Old 09-02-2008, 03:43 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,726,480 times
I wouldnt discount the SW Cape, it's only real drawback is that it is a bit further removed from all the commercial areas downtown, and along Del Prado. The SW has ample grocery shopping however.
The north sections have a bit higher crime because of it's proximity to North Ft Myers, and the houses are spaced a bit further apart, and less lighted at night. If you like a more rural setting, the north sections may actually suit you fine. But youre certainly not immune to crime anywhere in the Cape.
BTW, October is the best weather of the year here, IMHO

Old 09-03-2008, 05:31 AM

46 posts, read 243,103 times
Default Pine Island Rd area - N or S Cape?

Thanks Suncoast Guy and Yachtcare. Since we want to be within 35-40 min of the airport, sounds like the south Cape it is. Also want to be close to doctors, hospitals, shopping, etc. Also, is that considered a good area?

BTW, is the area just north of Pine Island Rd considered south or north Cape? I hear that area is building up nicely with shopping nearby.

We are quite excited about this. Although we have loved living here in Texas for 15 years, it will be nice to be back east close to family again.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:49 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,766 times
Ok the south cape is the old cape. One thing you must look at is storm surge. Remember that area was swamp that was filled. A storm surge from a cat-2 storm will flood the south cape. The north is higher ground and has shopping with new mercantile stores and restaurants (will be the new downtown). For the money the north is the best bet. as fas as doctors and hospitals Hancock Bridge Parkway is the line that changes SE to NE. Thats just a block from the hospital and most of the Doctors.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:18 AM

4 posts, read 22,583 times
North Cape is where most of the new homes built durring the boom went in...many of these homes are in foreclosure so you see many abandoned homes the further North you go the more isolated things become...I don't know that I would call it crime ridden but because of the seclusion I'm sure their is quite a bit of criminal mischief in the area...Kids out partying, Vandalisim, construction theft...They are not yet on City Water (If your not aware before you buy a home find out about the impact fees) and probably won't be for several years probably the further out the more time you have...Not all North Cape is bad and their are probably some great deals in the area...

For convience to shopping, airport etc your better off being in either South Cape or SE Cape..More established neighborhoods with plenty of shopping and dinning close by. Also easy access to either the Cape Coral Bridge (South Cape) which brings you out to College Pkwy with easy access to McGregor which will bring you to the beaches and Edison College..From SE Cape you can take the Mid Point Bridge which brings you out on colonial close to the mall and I-75...From either you are probably looking at anywhere from 30-45 minutes to the airport depending on traffic..south Cape is as someone else said the older section of the Cape its where most of the origional homes were built back in the 60's and the streets have names they are not numbered...Only downfall is a $2 toll to get back into the Cape...

Old 09-03-2008, 11:33 AM

4 posts, read 22,583 times
I have to add this after reading some of the other posts...Yes Pine Island is building up with nice shopping and restraunts...I've heard for years this was going to be the up and comming downtown area..Just research the area around any homes you are looking at in that area...ITS NOT AT ALL AS BAD as its being made out to be...The more desolate the location the more problems you will probably encounter but you would have to be pretty far North...

Old 09-05-2008, 08:48 AM

246 posts, read 1,018,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollibay View Post
BTW, is the area just north of Pine Island Rd considered south or north Cape? I hear that area is building up nicely with shopping nearby.

We are quite excited about this. Although we have loved living here in Texas for 15 years, it will be nice to be back east close to family again.
Most of the time it is the dividing line but not always. Santa Barbara is mostly the dividing line for east and west. PI Rd has quite a bit of shopping and eating places now.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:56 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,768,528 times
I'm on Pelican Blvd just before Gleason Parkway, and I love this area. The only time I see police it's sitting in the parking lot at the park watching for speeders.... The cape has a lot of nice areas.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:44 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,726,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoMA4good View Post
I'm on Pelican Blvd just before Gleason Parkway, and I love this area. The only time I see police it's sitting in the parking lot at the park watching for speeders.... The cape has a lot of nice areas.

The last couple of times I've passed the park there, I've noticed the car parked along side of the road......but nobody in the car. Maybe he has a daily rendevous in the park....with a donut?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area