Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 09:15 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've received a job offer in Fort Worth and have decided to take it. I'm looking for apartments / houses and would like some input on neighborhoods. I'm 22 years old and like to go out. I enjoy live music, good beer, and walkability... I figure if I'm going to live in the city I might as well be able to walk to cafes, restaurants, grocery stores, etc. However, if there's a steal in a slightly less walkable or lively neighborhood, I could go for it, especially if it's a house (a semi-detached/duplex could be nice).

What are some good neighborhoods in the city for a guy like me? I've found a few apartments that sound interesting, namely the Lincoln Trinity Bluff apartments and the Historic Electric Building. There are another two that look good, both near the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth.

In terms of budget, I'm not quite sure what's reasonable, but I will be making $61K a year. My only bills will be the usual: utilities, car insurance, gas, cell phone, and of course rent. I'm leaning towards a 1 bedroom and it looks like most are under or at $1000 a month, which sounds reasonable. A lot of the 2 beds would also be affordable.

My job will be in the north, past I-820. Google says it's about 18 minutes from those locations to my office, so that's the kind of commute I'm aiming for.

Last edited by HurricaneDC; 12-16-2013 at 09:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 04:53 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
18 minutes is on a Sunday afternoon without traffic. Although going north in the morning will be the lighter side, coming south in the evening will be heavier.

All of huge places you mentioned are nice, but they are isolated. I used to work across the street from the Electric Building. There are lots of restaurants and bars within a short walk, but there is not a true grocery store or any shopping besides a few boutiques. Honestly, if you could find a place closer to West 7th, you would probably be a lot happier. The neighborhood has many more young professionals and there is convenient shopping, including Super Target for groceries.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:30 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,779 times
West 7th area.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:48 PM

367 posts, read 818,017 times
I was going to suggest West 7th as well.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:39 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
4th vote for W. 7th

Fort Worth is not anything like the "walkable city" you are used to. It's not that you can't live near bars & cafe's that are 'walkable' - but Texas (for the most part) is not like the Urban areas you are used to. It won't be a problem, you will need to drive to work (and most people really look at the comment route & time) and there are plenty of grocery stores (but probably not the kind you may be used to) …… Central Market is a very nice grocery at Hulen and I-30 - not far from W. 7th. Others in the area also, but don't get it in your mind that you can hop a rail and walk down the block to get to everything you are interested in. It's just not like that - and in the summer, you won't be very interested in walking a lot.

On the other hand …… lot's of really great things will make up for that loss of total "walkability". You can walk your heart out in Downtown (safe, lots of bars, clubs, great restaurants, entertainment) and find free parking along with all that …… just minutes away from W. 7th.

Look at your commute a little closer …… traffic on I35 is brutal during rush hours, but it may be worth it for you for the advantages of living near the downtown area.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:44 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
And I35W from I30 to 820 is about to undergo a total reconstruction that will last until 2018!
I-35W Corridor Project

No way would I sign myself up for a commute that is going to be awful for the next 4 years...

Old 12-18-2013, 06:10 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,779 times
You're only young with no kids once. With your criteria I would take a little extra commute to live in an area that really fit my criteria. Compromise little now on where you live since it is only you because unless you become really rich compromise will happen much more later. Not that it's a bad thing, but you can be a little selfish right now.

It is only about nine miles via main st. to 820 from the West 7th area. Something to consider.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:30 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
You'll be driving a lot regardless of where you live. It's just something you'll have to accept. That being said, I offer yet another vote for the West 7th area.

If you look more seriously at houses I'd look in the Near Southside area.

As far as the commute don't plan to take 35. It can often be a nightmare even at times other than rush hour in both directions. As aceraceae said, I'd take North Main St. If you end up in the West 7th area, you can get there pretty easily from University Dr./Northside Dr. or through downtown.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:11 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
You'll be driving a lot regardless of where you live. It's just something you'll have to accept. That being said, I offer yet another vote for the West 7th area.

If you look more seriously at houses I'd look in the Near Southside area.

As far as the commute don't plan to take 35. It can often be a nightmare even at times other than rush hour in both directions. As aceraceae said, I'd take North Main St. If you end up in the West 7th area, you can get there pretty easily from University Dr./Northside Dr. or through downtown.
This is good advice - find alternate routes. In fact, living anywhere in the Metro-Mess you should always know the alternate routes that are available. I spent over 20 years commenting from Arlington/Ft Worth to Stemmons Frwy in Dallas and did most of it using something other than the Freeways during rush hour periods. Ask your co-workers or come to City-Data for advice, but know your options.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:46 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Thank you all for the advice! I was aware that walkable in Texas may not be like walkable in DC. No problem for me, because I do like driving, but it's also nice to have the option. I'll definitely look around the West 7th area.

Are there any other interesting areas that would be a bit closer to work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth