Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 12:46 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times

Advertisements

i say its tie to do math...figure out what it would cost to rip out all the rotten floor rotten siding wood and roten beams and replace everything...
then figure out what it would cost to buy/build one from scratch. if the 2 numbers are pretty close i say bye bye old big shed, hello new slightly smaler one.

i had a similar dilema, only the shed on my prperty is completly missing its back wall and thus the roof has started to head south lol) i wanted to try and salvage it simply because it would be less work to use the existing frame...but i ddi the math and by the time i finnished salvaging it...it would be cheaper to build something brand new on the same spot if im smart about it...
now i just need someone with a big truck and a couple of heavy duty chains to pull the old one down LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 01:04 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,036,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Briefly...my shed is 10 feet by 15 feet, wood, no foundation, with a shingled roof and a single door (as opposed to a double door).

The shed's age is hard to estimate but people have ballparked it at 25-30 years old. I personally don't believe it's that old. But it has problems.

When I bought this house, the shed was infested with termites and fire ants due to the fact that the previous owner put her compost heap in contact with the exterior wall of the shed. It has had a couple of treatments for termites but still has that musty, termite-y smell. It also has rodents and clearly has had them for many years as I continue to find old packets of bait and traps whenever I move something in the shed.

The floor is plywood and is a total loss. It is warped, rotting, and needs to go. It is in direct contact with the ground.

The exterior siding is rotting near the bottom in some places, and has totally rotted away or has been chewed away by animals in others. There are a couple of complete holes in the wall near the bottom on one side.

Several exterior 1x6 beams are rotting.

There is visible termite damage.

The entire shed would have to be painted if I did repair it.

There is also the continuing issue of a wooden shed in direct contact with the ground, as it is not on a foundation of any kind and I'm not sure that the building would even hold together to be jacked up to put a foundation underneath it, not to mention that it would be hideously expensive.

That being said, replacing that shed with a new equivalent would be extremely expensive.

On the other hand, I don't think I need 10x15 feet. All I would store in an exterior shed would be a small propane grill with tank, a wheelbarrow, a spreader (like for fertilizer), some garden tools, etc. I don't own a lawn mower and don't plan to buy one as I pay people to care for my lawn. I think an 8x10 shed would suffice, possibly even smaller. I could buy a resin 8x10 shed for about $800, though I'd still have to build a foundation for it and assemble it (or pay someone to do it).

Thoughts?

Should I bother trying to save my shed? From a cost standpoint, which is the cheaper option? If I can save my existing shed for a few hundred, I'll do that; but if it's going to run into hundreds and I'll continue to battle termites and wood rot every year, I may not want to bother with it.

Thanks.
If you look up "total loss" in a dictionary, this post comes up as the definition. Time for a new shed.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:11 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,402,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I would replace the rotten wood, strip it, paint it, put a composite roof on it, jack it up on to cinderblocks, put down a 4 inch layer of drain rock underneath and ensure proper drainage away from the shed. Bam! the shed will last another 30 years if minimally maintained. Get some helpers, some beer, some steaks and you could finish this project in a weekend if planned correctly.
^^^ what he said. Sounds like a DIY weekend project and you will be all set. Do it soon...summer is coming!

Old 04-10-2012, 03:16 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,744,811 times
Toss a grenade in the old shed.

Get a new one.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:22 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
Is the shed on a concrete slab??? If your shed has this much damage I would get rid of it. Is your house infested with same rodents, termites and ants??? How close is this shed to your home? Our shed is wood too and has an actual roof and siding. I'd go with the rubbermaid kind IMO. I say throw some gasoline on it, light it, have some beers and start a bonfire LOL

Old 04-11-2012, 01:31 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
So far the prevailing opinion is get rid of old shed. Right now that's where I'm leaning too. I need to do some more comparison shopping for new sheds; wasn't impressed with the selection at Home Depot.

Where do you guys come down on steel vs resin? The steel sheds seem to be much cheaper but also seem to be prone to more problems from damaging in shipping, doors getting stuck in tracks, dents from hail, etc. Thoughts?

Old 04-11-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
So far the prevailing opinion is get rid of old shed. Right now that's where I'm leaning too. I need to do some more comparison shopping for new sheds; wasn't impressed with the selection at Home Depot.

Where do you guys come down on steel vs resin? The steel sheds seem to be much cheaper but also seem to be prone to more problems from damaging in shipping, doors getting stuck in tracks, dents from hail, etc. Thoughts?
I had a steel shed from sears, what a pain in the butt to put it up. Had it up 6 months, it leaked, rusted so my husband tore it down. We went to a place by us that has wood sheds built in pennsylvania by the amish. We paid about $3500. It has a roof with shingles and vinyl siding to match our house. It's also on a concrete slab. You said your shed is about 25 years old maybe newer? Even if it's 15 years old that's still not bad. We have ours about 6 years and it's still as durable and beautiful as the day we bought it. Ours is a barn Style. I would check out places that sell wood sheds made in pennsylvania. I know someone that has one 20 years old and there's no rot or bug damage. I am not sure how big the resin sheds come though.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:45 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I had a steel shed from sears, what a pain in the butt to put it up. Had it up 6 months, it leaked, rusted so my husband tore it down. We went to a place by us that has wood sheds built in pennsylvania by the amish. We paid about $3500. It has a roof with shingles and vinyl siding to match our house. It's also on a concrete slab. You said your shed is about 25 years old maybe newer? Even if it's 15 years old that's still not bad. We have ours about 6 years and it's still as durable and beautiful as the day we bought it. Ours is a barn Style. I would check out places that sell wood sheds made in pennsylvania. I know someone that has one 20 years old and there's no rot or bug damage. I am not sure how big the resin sheds come though.
A nice Amish wood shed would be lovely but we don't have any Amish people here in Texas and an equivalent-sized wood shed is not in my budget.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:50 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
Quote:

You are finally seeing the light about your shed. It took a while but glad you came around. . I am not trying to be snarky but if you thought $800 was getting pricey exactly how much do you think a steel shed of size is going to cost you? From your original posts go for a rubbermaid.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
A nice Amish wood shed would be lovely but we don't have any Amish people here in Texas and an equivalent-sized wood shed is not in my budget.
we don't have amish people on LI either LOL. I just went to a shed and fence place that has a contract with a company that builds sheds in PA, thry come from PA and deliver the shed in pieces and most of it put together. But they are expensive so you might want to go with a resin shed.Aluminum sears shed was $700 what a waste of $$$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden