Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 01:58 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,401,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
So far the prevailing opinion is get rid of old shed. Right now that's where I'm leaning too. I need to do some more comparison shopping for new sheds; wasn't impressed with the selection at Home Depot.

Where do you guys come down on steel vs resin? The steel sheds seem to be much cheaper but also seem to be prone to more problems from damaging in shipping, doors getting stuck in tracks, dents from hail, etc. Thoughts?
Whatever you do don't get a steel shed! Seriously - steel sheds down here, even in the shade are ovens. We had a steel shed at our old house and couldn't keep anything in it. Out of curiousity, I put a thermometer in there on a summer day to see what the temp was. It came back at 138 degrees. It that temp, even grabbing metal tools would be painful. It you are going to replace it, I'd go with either resin or wood with lots and lots of windows all the way around for ventilation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 05:54 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,598,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
The simple answer is NO. If you have ever heard the term throwing good money after bad, it certainly applies here. Get rid of it and buy a Rubbermaid from Lowes or Sears and be done with it. Not even to mention the cost of repairs but what about your time? How do you paint something that is falling apart? IMO it is not worth the time and effort. By the way Rubbermaid has many units that would fit your needs ( as you described) and they are way less than $800.
I agree; dump it. With all those vermon and such, it not worth your time, money and exposure to pesticides. Lay a patio stone foundation and place a Rubbermaid on it. But it will fade over the years due to the TX sun so choose your color wisely so when it does fade it still looks good

Old 04-11-2012, 06:00 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,598,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
A nice Amish wood shed would be lovely but we don't have any Amish people here in Texas and an equivalent-sized wood shed is not in my budget.
LOL, oh yes they arrrrre. Some are in the Grandview, Grandbury area. A older man told me he got his tractor stuck in mud and some Amish men came down with their huge mules to pull it out.
I have a steel shed 10'x12'; it came with the house so I have no idea how old it is but it is VERY sturdy. The previous owner put it on a concrete slab and raised it 4'' off the slab with wood support beams under a large pecan tree. He must have been a carpenter due to the fact they left table and tools holders all over it. I thought I wouldn't use all of it but I managed to do so. The brand name is Morgan if that helps. At my old house I had a 8' X10' wooden one put in. It sat on about 3" of river rocks and 3" wood frame so the foundation didn't rot but had to do repairs every so often (i.e. replace the door, rotting wood trim.)

Last edited by eyewrist; 04-11-2012 at 06:15 PM..

Old 04-12-2012, 08:22 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Went to Home Depot the other day with my shed's measurements just to see how much new siding and whatnot would cost; once we hit the $600 mark for materials, I was really tempted by the pretty resin sheds in the parking lot. They had a nice one for $699 that would suit my needs. Hmmmm.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:09 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
You know some pictures would give a clearer sense of what your up against.

If you really want a deal on plastic try hitting the swap/flea markets in your area. I see them all the time for about half of the retail value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden