Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 09:25 AM

18,102 posts, read 15,676,604 times

Advertisements

I've been saying for years that I want/need new landscaping but there's always been some other house project that's been higher on the priority list. Finally bit the bullet and hired a local guy/firm to do it this season. Since I know absolutely nothing about plants and gardening is not my thing, the only instructions I gave were to:

- remove the existing shrubbery.
- design something very low maintenance.
- select drought tolerant plants if possible, because I will ignore them even though I shouldn't.
- no planting of any lawn. Only ground cover, as I don't want to deal with having to mow anything.
- Pick a nice selection of color
- Keep the existing rose bushes on the side, just prune them as needed.
- Put in a small walkway leading from the backyard sidewalk to the nearby shed.
- Landscaper will come over weekly to water each plant as needed for 6 weeks, to make sure everything gets a good foothold

Here's the plant list my landscaper selected (I think it will work out well):
  • Gold Moneywort
  • Bigleaf Hydrangea
  • Hosta
  • Variegated Privet
  • Red Knockout Roses
  • Variegated Yucca
  • Daruma Loropetalum
  • Little Richard Abelia
  • Nandina
  • Prague Viburnum
  • Wheeler’s Dwarf Pittosporum
  • Walkers Low Catmint
  • Adagio Maiden Grass
  • Frostproof Gardenia
  • Oakleaf Hydrangea
  • Encore Azalea

Plants are being picked up from the nursery for planting today.

Cleanup of existing land; looks so bare at the moment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 01:06 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,607,521 times
That's quite a project! You should be very happy with the results. You don't say specifically where you are located but my only concern is if you are in a part of the country where the temps are nearing 100, the new plantings will need water before the landscaper comes back in a week to do it. Even drought tolerant plants need to become established before they're actually drought tolerant.

I hope you post pics when the planting is done!

Old 06-16-2015, 01:09 PM

I'm in North Carolina. (zone 7B). Yes it's very, very hot. I also happen to be on a fairly shady lot so it's not quite as bad. I will supplement what the landscaper does by helping to water while the temps are really high. My back yard is very shaded though with lots of big tall trees.

I'll share pictures when everything is done. They'll be working all today and maybe again tomorrow, depending.

Here is a picture my landscaper sent me of their work in progress today:

Last edited by lottamoxie; 06-16-2015 at 01:28 PM..

Old 06-16-2015, 05:44 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
What a beautiful house and property!

After your plants have a couple of years to settle and grow I'm sure it will be completely lovely.

I look forward to your photos as time goes by. Keep us posted!

Old 06-16-2015, 07:15 PM

Here are some 'after' photos. Keep in mind these are baby plants. Especially all the ground coverings will take a year or 2 to spread out. 30 more Creeping Jennys will be planted on the right side of the driveway tomorrow.

Click on thumbnails to see full size

Last edited by lottamoxie; 06-16-2015 at 07:29 PM..

Old 06-16-2015, 09:00 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Love love love that porch!!!

Great property OP!

Enjoy.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:25 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,607,521 times
Looking good! Remember the old saying about perennials - First year they sleep, second year they creep, third year they leap. But in your climate, that will probably speed up! Any feedback from the neighbors? I'm seeing a lot of green lawn in the distance. You may start a new trend in your neighborhood.
Thanks for the photos!

Old 06-16-2015, 10:29 PM

My neighbor behind me and to the side loves it! Haven't spoken to anyone else yet.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:09 AM

23 posts, read 25,734 times
Amazing... loved your home! Of-course your neighbor must be your behind for this beautiful landscaping!

Old 06-19-2015, 06:12 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
OP are you in Cary? Maybe not since your house isn't beige. (inside joke)
Did you have a HOA to deal with? Do you have deer to deal with and did your landscaper talk to you about deer or rabbits? The hosta won't last long if you have deer.

It is a beautiful plan and it looks beautiful. You will not believe how your curb appeal will be enhanced. Congrats.

I hope you have a detailed plan with the names of all the plants. This will help you when it is time to care for them or even if you have to replace them. When I was a landscape designer I left a small plant ID label in the ground (1 for multiple repeats) cause I found my clients never knew where the plan was but could easily pick up the label to do some research and then put it back.

This heat is terrible but our downpour last night should be perfect for your new project. Here in Chapel Hill we had 3.7 inches. We certainly did need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden