Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2016, 08:51 AM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

Well, we've finally got some rain up here in the northeast, and the summer's heat is letting up. Cooler nights, and more dew in the AM....my grass has come back. Still thin in a lot of places, so i'll definitely need to overseed. I actually had to drag out the lawnmower this week. Last time I did that was in June. Even on the highest setting there was a lot to cut.

Stopping on the way home to start picking up some seed for the fall overseed. Need to look into renting an aerator, but need to see if the one HD rents will fit in my trunk.

But it hasn't looked this green/long since May. I'm not watering as well due to the mandatory water ban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 04:15 AM

7,493 posts, read 7,176,530 times
Have you aerated and seeded? Out of town this weekend so doing mine next weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Well, we've finally got some rain up here in the northeast, and the summer's heat is letting up. Cooler nights, and more dew in the AM....my grass has come back. Still thin in a lot of places, so i'll definitely need to overseed. I actually had to drag out the lawnmower this week. Last time I did that was in June. Even on the highest setting there was a lot to cut.

Stopping on the way home to start picking up some seed for the fall overseed. Need to look into renting an aerator, but need to see if the one HD rents will fit in my trunk.

But it hasn't looked this green/long since May. I'm not watering as well due to the mandatory water ban.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:29 PM

Dropping my lawn mower to 3" this weekend.

Quote:

Old 09-11-2016, 03:26 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Dropping my lawn mower to 3" this weekend.
You should really put your zone, and roughly where you live so you don't give people the wrong info. I, living on Long Island have already lowered my mower to 1 1/2 inches. Tonight it will be in the fifties for us. Just sayin.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:44 PM

*** Upper right corner of each post you will see the person's location. ***

Low to upper 80s here all week, hitting 90 again on Wenesday.

Might need to raise your height back up as it looks like night lows are mid to upper 60s and low 70s except for Thursday night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
You should really put your zone, and roughly where you live so you don't give people the wrong info. I, living on Long Island have already lowered my mower to 1 1/2 inches. Tonight it will be in the fifties for us. Just sayin.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:48 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,718 times
Quote:
*** Upper right corner of each post you will see the person's location. ***

Low to upper 80s here all week, hitting 90 again on Wenesday.
Sorry! How did I miss that? Go ahead say it! 'Ya old fart ya.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:54 PM

No worries.

This time of year temps sure do change quickly which also reflects the quick changes we see in lawns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Sorry! How did I miss that? Go ahead say it! 'Ya old fart ya.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:16 AM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Have you aerated and seeded? Out of town this weekend so doing mine next weekend.

Yup. All done. That Home Depot aerator really gives you a workout. I might look into the pro version next year as supposedly you can turn with the spikes still in the ground. That may make it so much more easier for me.

Anyway it's been roughly a week and already seeing sprouts in some of the thin areas. I aerated pretty well, seeded, then raked. Already seeing them pop up. Not complete cover yet, but a few more areas each AM.

Starting to get into the 50's here at night in MA, so we wake up to some pretty heavy AM dew. Days are still humid and in the 80's But hopefully this translates into some good, thick growth this fall.

Just a bit of background on my lawn. My hard was HEAVILY in shade due to overgrown trees (overhanging the house). The yard was primarily moss (no kidding), with some patches of grass and a lot of acorns/twigs/leaf debris. Took down the trees, ground the stumps and had the grindings removed. By april, yard was a mess and a lot of bare dirt. Did a seeding then. A lot took, but the drought killed it off. 50% returned late Aug, along with a lot of weeds. But for the first time it looks like a legit lawn for once...albeit thin. I did some weed control, mowed down low and bagged, and then did my aeration/seeding/raking. Hoping I can get some thick growth before winter. I see sprouts already, so hoping we have a nice wet fall. I plan on doing some dormant seeding this winter as well.

Old 09-18-2016, 04:39 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
We have centipede and we cut it at 2".

Old 09-28-2016, 05:19 PM

Yes, the first time somebody was telling me about the importance of core aeration on a lawn, I did not believe it.

I got my seed down about a week and a half ago and could not have been better timing with all the rain we are supposed to get this week.

Quote:
Yup. All done. That Home Depot aerator really gives you a workout. I might look into the pro version next year as supposedly you can turn with the spikes still in the ground. That may make it so much more easier for me.

Anyway it's been roughly a week and already seeing sprouts in some of the thin areas. I aerated pretty well, seeded, then raked. Already seeing them pop up. Not complete cover yet, but a few more areas each AM.

Starting to get into the 50's here at night in MA, so we wake up to some pretty heavy AM dew. Days are still humid and in the 80's But hopefully this translates into some good, thick growth this fall.

Just a bit of background on my lawn. My hard was HEAVILY in shade due to overgrown trees (overhanging the house). The yard was primarily moss (no kidding), with some patches of grass and a lot of acorns/twigs/leaf debris. Took down the trees, ground the stumps and had the grindings removed. By april, yard was a mess and a lot of bare dirt. Did a seeding then. A lot took, but the drought killed it off. 50% returned late Aug, along with a lot of weeds. But for the first time it looks like a legit lawn for once...albeit thin. I did some weed control, mowed down low and bagged, and then did my aeration/seeding/raking. Hoping I can get some thick growth before winter. I see sprouts already, so hoping we have a nice wet fall. I plan on doing some dormant seeding this winter as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden