Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 02:04 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,379,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Everyone in the Eastern U.S will sure get the itch this week. . Early blooms north of Carolinas? A reminder its only mid February still but maybe I'll start tilliing.
In Sw VA, near the Carolina border we're getting about 2 weeks of above average temps. I'm doing some outside stuff but the longer range forecasts show a solid return to much lower temps, with overnight lows below freezing, through the end of March. The general wisdom around here is no planting outdoors until around mothers day.

I might try to get a few things started indoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 05:25 AM

83,540 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
In Sw VA, near the Carolina border we're getting about 2 weeks of above average temps. I'm doing some outside stuff but the longer range forecasts show a solid return to much lower temps, with overnight lows below freezing, through the end of March. The general wisdom around here is no planting outdoors until around mothers day.

I might try to get a few things started indoors.
That's interesting because that's the saying here too. We sometimes get a frost in early May so Mother Day (Mid May) is safe plant out date. I would of imagined it be earlier for you there though.

I think we'll start March on the cool side like you mentioned but I think an early Spring is in the works. I might start the pepper seeds this weekend instead of next.

Edit: Just checked.. Looks like April 30th is your last frost date avg. So I can see why you said Mothers Day. Safe date. http://www.weather.gov/rnk/frostfreeze

Old 02-20-2018, 06:07 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
A friend of DH's grew up on the east end of Long Island and owned a farm. The rule of thumb was the first full moon in May is when the danger of frost is over and that was when they planted.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:25 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,379,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
That's interesting because that's the saying here too. We sometimes get a frost in early May so Mother Day (Mid May) is safe plant out date. I would of imagined it be earlier for you there though.

I think we'll start March on the cool side like you mentioned but I think an early Spring is in the works. I might start the pepper seeds this weekend instead of next.

Edit: Just checked.. Looks like April 30th is your last frost date avg. So I can see why you said Mothers Day. Safe date. Average Last Dates of Frost/Freeze in Spring
Yeah, being in the Blue Ridge mountains makes a big difference. My place is at 2800 ft elevation and when I travel down I-77 to NC the long drop down makes about a 2 week difference when spring arrives.

Having lived on Oakland, CA (latitude 37.82) for 32 years I am spoiled. I'm actually a tiny bit further south now at 36.88 but the two are not at all alike weatherwise. According to a chart found on Dave's Garden we can expect 153 frost free days per year. We get around 183 nights per year where the overnight low drops below 40. That's why I adopt senior black labs so that I always enough for those 3 Dog Nights.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:19 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
If you don't mind, could you let me know how the shipping went? I'm really not one to order plants online, let alone from HD. Although some of the GC's around here will order, and have it shipped to their garden center first.
They arrived yesterday, boxed, like from any online nursery. 3 gallon pots with a plastic drawstring bag around it to secure the dirt, then boxed in cardboard with a few ventilation holes. We unboxed them immediately and gave them a good drink. They are just waking up from dormancy, so have just a few baby leaves coming. They are in the ground, and hopefully will leaf out shortly.

It’s a bit hard to see, but here’s a picture.

Last edited by gentlearts; 12-24-2020 at 07:10 AM..

Old 02-22-2018, 12:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
our seeds are all in their little temporary homes: hope they will start to pop up in the next week or so. I am having a little problem deciding where to start them. I have tried the guest bedroom a few years ago. I ruined them by over fertilizing them and the dropped dead in no time. Last year they didn't get enough sun so didn't go too well.This year I have them in the sun room but it is still pretty cold,so I am a little worried. And to add to this our kitty cat, who will soon be a year old might treat himself to the plants. Last Sat after the planting was almost through I left everything on the table cause I said had some more to plant. Well today, I decided to finish them:Chester had already helped me: He had gotten up on the planting table and helped himself to the fast grow sticks in the plant containers and tossed them all over. He had chewed holes in the seed packages and managed to make sure they were happy on the floor and last got into the planting soil and spread on over the floor. Maybe he thought he could make the seeds grow on the floor if he covered them with planting soil. Now, we will see how the rest of the season goes before it is time to get,what might be left into the ground.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:57 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,668,329 times
I am ready for Spring. Having an area of the front lawn cleared out for planting some color for the spring and summer, between my Kousa Dogwood and the Franklin Tree. Planning on a Bloomerang lilac, two Peonies, four Mango Tango Potentilla, Coneflowers, two Creme Brulee Potentilla and red Cannas that we had for many years in Florida.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:15 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,098,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
They arrived yesterday, boxed, like from any online nursery. 3 gallon pots with a plastic drawstring bag around it to secure the dirt, then boxed in cardboard with a few ventilation holes. We unboxed them immediately and gave them a good drink. They are just waking up from dormancy, so have just a few baby leaves coming. They are in the ground, and hopefully will leaf out shortly.
Thanks gentlearts, looks like they packed it pretty good. HD is supposed to be stocking a butterfly bush called Ms. Molly this spring in my local store, and if they don't I'll feel pretty comfortable ordering it online. Again thanks!

Old 03-02-2018, 09:44 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Just to update....I ordered two heat tolerant lilacs from Springhill, and they arrived beautifully packaged and full of fresh leaves and buds, so I’m very pleased with the quality.

Also, today I found some really nice looking hybrid tea rose bushes at Sam’s Club. Nice, strong branches starting to leaf out.

It’s a cool sunny day, so I’ll get them all into the ground this afternoon.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:57 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Just to update....I ordered two heat tolerant lilacs from Springhill, and they arrived beautifully packaged and full of fresh leaves and buds, so I’m very pleased with the quality.

Also, today I found some really nice looking hybrid tea rose bushes at Sam’s Club. Nice, strong branches starting to leaf out.

It’s a cool sunny day, so I’ll get them all into the ground this afternoon.
wow good for you. We are about a month away. The good news is: all of my seeds in their temp homes have sprouted; the bad news, I hope they don't get too big for their containers before we can get them in the ground. Of course I will thin them some in the next week or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden